Friday, April 10, 2009

Hot Cross Buns for Good Friday

It is a tradition here to eat Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday. When my girls were young we never actually made them, the Local Scouts used to take orders and deliver them on Good Friday morning. They came from a local baker and were pretty good.
This year, I was very tempted to try a recipe that I saw over at winosandfoodies but in the end I opted to use one I'd seen in a Lakeland Recipe Book.
It was a simple enough recipe but I don't think the buns were as spicy as I've made previously.




Recipe:
4 teaspoons dried yeast
55g (2oz approx) castor (bakers) sugar
250ml (8.5 fl oz) warm milk
600g (1lb 5oz) plain floor
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
60g (2oz approx) butter
1 egg lightly beaten
125 ml (4.5 fl oz) warm water
110g (4 oz) currants
40g (1.5-2 oz) mixed peel
1 tablespoon apricot jam

Flour Paste:
75g (3oz) plain flour
1 tablespoon castor sugar
80ml (3 fl oz approx) water

Method:

* Combine yeast, sugar, milk in bowl whisk until yeast dissolved. Cover, stand in warm place for 10 mins or until mixture is frothy.
Sift flour, cinnamon into large bowl, rub in butter. Stir in yeast mixture,egg, water and fruit, cover and stand for 1 hour in warm place or until mixture has doubled in size.

*Turn out dough onto floured surface, knead for 5 mins until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 16 portions, knead into balls. Place into greased 23cm sq cake tin. Stand in warm place for about 20 mins until dough has risen to top of tin.

* For paste, combine flour and sugar in bowl, blend in warm water, stir until smooth. Using a piping bag and small plain nozzle, pipe crosses onto buns. Bake in moderately hot oven for 10 mins, reduce heat and bake for a further 15 mins.
Turn buns onto wire rack, brush with warm jam. (exact temperatures not given- I used 220c (400f gas6) then turned down to 180c (350F gas 4) you might need to adjust to suit your own oven.

Then eat when still warm. I think they would be good toasted as well. Now all I need is some visitors!

My previous post on Hot Cross Buns

Archives:
2008: Thankful Thursday-Aphids Beware
2007: A visit to the country

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At 10/4/09 15:46, Blogger karisma said...

Well they certainly look the part! Well done, enjoy the eating! Have a safe and Happy Easter weekend! Mwah xxx

 
At 10/4/09 16:21, Blogger sillysausage said...

they look wonderful. Good job mum. Do you remember this? It embellishes the Boy Scout part of the story.

 
At 10/4/09 16:56, Blogger Jan said...

Oh, they look so yummy.

 
At 10/4/09 19:47, Blogger ChrisB said...

Karisma I really don't want to eat that many I might need to freeze some.

Sam I remembered you did a post but not the detail I enjoyed reading it again. I think they are definitely better with the fresh yeast, which I used last time I made them.

Jan thank you.

 
At 10/4/09 22:46, Blogger willowtree said...

Very impressive! Happy Easter Chris.

 
At 10/4/09 22:57, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT your ears must have been burning I've just been looking at a photo of you over at the other Peter's.

 
At 10/4/09 23:34, Blogger kitten said...

WOW! Never heard of them. I will have to try that! I wish I could find the Easter Sunday Cookies.

 
At 11/4/09 10:43, Blogger Steffi said...

They looks so yummy!Thank you for your recipe again!
Greetings to Beccy!

 
At 11/4/09 13:58, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

They look good. They appear to be a diminishing tradition here.

 
At 11/4/09 19:26, Anonymous daffy said...

I didn't have a hot cross bun but I did have fish. My husband had a pie. Enough said. hehe
They look delicious! Send one over please..

 
At 11/4/09 21:52, Anonymous Karmyn R said...

YUMMMMMMMMMM

 
At 12/4/09 17:39, Blogger Amrita said...

Oh goodness! I also have our Indian hot cross buns on my blog, They are our British legacy. I love your recepi and will try this. We got our buns from the bakers. I must link this post on my blog for my American friends

 
At 12/4/09 18:18, Blogger Debbie said...

They look DE-licious.

 
At 12/4/09 20:25, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

oh my, yours came out much better looking then mine lol

Happy belated Easter wishes to you and your family :)

x

 
At 13/4/09 06:22, Blogger Barbara said...

They look perfect Chris.

 
At 13/4/09 17:16, Blogger Beccy said...

Oh man, they look divine, wish I'd been there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home