Saturday, April 07, 2007

One a penny two a penny hot cross buns

I wonder if my girls remember learning this popular nursery rhyme when they were young.

Hot Cross Buns (origins)

Hot cross buns!
Hot-cross buns!
One a penny,
Two a penny,
Hot-cross buns!

If ye have no daughters,
Give them to your sons. One a penny,
Two a penny,
Hot-cross buns!


Sam recently made hot cross buns and Beccy, after a lot of effort to track down fresh yeast followed suit. When I saw that Barbara had also taken up Sam's challenge and made a batch I decided that I'd better join them.

So off I went to Sainsbury's to get some fresh yeast and dried fruit, which I also needed for my Easter biscuits. I was rather hoping that as Sally suggested they might give me the yeast but I was charged 32 pence for a small chunk so it was not expensive. I was getting a link to Sally's blog and would you believe it her post today was about making 'hot cross buns' and they look really good.

I've never ever considered making them myself, as Sam explained we always used to get them delivered by the local cub scouts when they were young.

I used the BBC recipe and although it was a bit time consuming (waiting for the 'proving' at different stages) they turned out quite satisfactory. Anyone who has seen my previous efforts at cooking will know I do not go in for finesse so my buns were all different sizes and some were a little on the large side as you can see from this picture.




The aroma while cooking had us drooling and they were voted a success by embee (who tried a small one even though he's diabetic), my mother and my neighbour. Athough no good comes to those who blow your own trumpet I have to say they are particularly moorish and I wish I could share them with you.



Anyone hesitating about making your own should definitely have a go, if I can manage it anyone can, OK I may not be great on presentation but who says the English can't cook!!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 7/4/07 19:24, Blogger Sam said...

mum - I love you!

If you have any left over yeast freeze it (cut it up into usable portion sizes first)

I buy a block of yeast for about 50 cents, cut it into about 40 little cubes and it lasts me about 6 months and dozens of loaves of bread

your buns look superb. I just saw some in wholefoods and they looked disgusting.

 
At 7/4/07 19:25, Blogger Sam said...

PS - dad left THE FUNNIEST comment on my blog yesterday.

 
At 7/4/07 19:32, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam I have cut and frozen on a plastic pot; hope that will be ok. I must come over and read dads comment. Did you notice I have started another blog?

 
At 7/4/07 19:46, Blogger my4kids said...

those look yummy. I know the nursery rhyme also my mom taught me!
I'd love to try to make them but will have to wait till I have some time on my hands, which may be awhile

 
At 7/4/07 19:53, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

They do look good. That rhyme rings some bells -- from my mother.

 
At 7/4/07 20:05, Blogger ChrisB said...

my4kids hope you do get to try it one day as they are delicious.

anvilcloud pity I can't invite you for a coffee and taster !!

 
At 7/4/07 23:30, Blogger frannie said...

I wish I were there to try them--- they look absolutely delicious!

I love that nursery rhyme- one of my favorites.

 
At 8/4/07 00:10, Blogger AfKaP said...

We all loved that rhyme too. And gosh your buns are pretty! ;-}

 
At 8/4/07 00:56, Blogger Barbara said...

They look excellent Chris. I think I can do better than this years effort But will wait a few weeks before trying again. All the buns and eggs over Easter and the kilos are piling on.

 
At 8/4/07 01:03, Blogger sallywrites said...

Oh they look fantastic!! What have you used for the crosses? They look really good!

 
At 8/4/07 01:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look very yummy.

and congrats now on your 201st post.

 
At 8/4/07 03:13, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh. My. God.
They look fantastic.
Wow. Good job.
I don't have a hot cross bun tradition, but you and Sam have sorely tempted me.

 
At 8/4/07 07:09, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

dear chrisb. Feel free to send some my way! They look deliciouso. And I don't think you're lacking on presentation at all, they look great!

 
At 8/4/07 08:08, Blogger Pamela said...

I just have to sit here and giggle up a storm, everyone talking about their buns.

I know you say bums on your side of the "pond".... but it's buns here.
and yours are "nice looking."

bwaaa haa ha ha.

Wish I was coming for dinner.

 
At 8/4/07 12:10, Blogger Molly said...

Your buns look simply scrumptious. I wish that I had some here to taste with my Easter morning coffee. My husband and I try to enjoy some every Lent, but we always buy them fromm the bakery.

 
At 8/4/07 12:41, Blogger Beccy said...

I can still play that rhyme on the recorder.

They look delicious Mum!

 
At 8/4/07 12:49, Blogger ChrisB said...

Frannie, Mjd and Little miss moi I wish I could spirit some across to all of you.

PW its funny how they just pop into your head I'm not sure they are as popular with today's children.

Barbara same here I shall have to stop this baking too often and now I have an easter egg looking at me. Prehaps if I put it in a cupboard I will forget its there for a while!!

Sally its just plain flour and cold water.

Karmyn thank you.

CC I couldn't resist the challenge.

Pamela LOl very good- now if I were to really show mine that really would give everyone an even bigger laugh!!

 
At 8/4/07 12:51, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy nothing wrong with the taste but they're not perfect little bun shapes as I would have liked. I'm an impatient cook!

 
At 10/4/07 16:38, Blogger ~ej said...

they look yummy! we made cinnamon buns instead.... :)

 
At 10/4/07 20:33, Blogger ChrisB said...

elena jane these has some mixed spice in them so probably similar tastes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home