Sunday, April 01, 2007

April Fools Day

Anyone interested in origins and past hoaxes I have put some links:

Origin of April Fool's Day

April Fool (wikipedia)

Top 100 April Fool Hoaxes of all times

This was an April Fool hoax run in one of our national newspapers, I think it was last year. The trouble is the PM and, in particular, his lady wife have no class or taste and so it was totally believable.


A very famous hoax in the UK, back in 1957, seems to top the list. I remember this particular programme (as a child) Panorama is a serious topical news programme but it's unbelievable that so many people were fooled.

#1: The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest
In 1957 the respected BBC news show Panorama announced that thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. It accompanied this announcement with footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Huge numbers of viewers were taken in, and many called up wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti trees. To this question, the BBC diplomatically replied that they should "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

Do you have a favourite hoax or joke to share with us today??

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 1/4/07 16:50, Blogger Beccy said...

Remember the spider in Dad's salad, he was not amused!

 
At 1/4/07 16:56, Blogger ChrisB said...

Oh yes that was a good one but wasn't in his cabbage. He still doesn't find it funny when I reminded him.

 
At 1/4/07 18:30, Blogger Sam said...

my favourite was the radio station who ran the monday morning programme with traffic reports and everything on one April 1st sunday apprently causing several people to panic and head off to work. on a sunday.

As for taste. It is subjective, no?
We all have different taste mum, as you well know.

 
At 1/4/07 18:43, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam I don't recall that one but dad did,
Yes I know but I just don't care for Cherrie B's tastes she does seem to make a lot of errors of judgement about the people who advise her (and I am entitled to freedom of speech well until they stop it). Don't forget you haven't lived here for a few years; it's not altogether as you remember (i'll get off the soap box now)

 
At 1/4/07 19:35, Blogger my4kids said...

I like the speggetti one I think I have heard of it before. I can't really think of any hoaxes right now though maybe I will get back to you on that.

 
At 1/4/07 20:39, Blogger ChrisB said...

my4kids yes its one of the classics see you tomorrow.

 
At 1/4/07 21:02, Blogger Beccy said...

Sam, I remember the radio hoax in the 80's.

 
At 1/4/07 23:14, Blogger Pamela said...

Mom made my lunches - we didn't have a hot lunch program where I went to school.

In 4th grade on April 1st I was nearly finished with the chewiest cheese sandwich my mom had ever fixed.
I probably had only 3 bites left when I saw the waxed paper in it. I was so maaaaaaaaaad at her.

Whe thought I would take one bite and then open it up and look. I just chewed my little heart out that day.

 
At 1/4/07 23:25, Blogger ChrisB said...

oh poor you I hope you didn't suffer too many after effects !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home