Friday, March 30, 2007

Spain continued

Here are a few pictures of the old part of Malaga. The inside of the old cathedral is really beautiful. There are a lot of different religious influences to be seen and the cathedral organ is enormous and I would love to have heard it playing. Link to more pictures.


The Alcabaza is an old Moorish fortress and from there you can get some good views of the city and harbour

This is a not very good view of the Roman Theatre beneath the walls of the fortress. You can just see it through the wire fence.


Harbour Views.



Picasso was born in one of the houses off this square. On the day we visited this square was being set up for a festival so it was full of marquees (so photo is courtesy of the internet). I would have liked to see the Picasso exhibition (not that I am a fan) but my friends were not keen so I let it go and I actually regret missing this opportunity.


Stopping to take photos I suddenly noticed this little bug heading towards my bare toes and I couldn't resist a quick snap. I've not been able to find out exactly what type of beetle it is, I thought it might be a cockroach (not that I've ever seen one). So if anyone can enlighten me I would be pleased to know ??

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

At 30/3/07 21:29, Blogger Steffi said...

Very nice pictures of Malaga!It must be a really nice place where you visited!

Have a nice weekend!

 
At 30/3/07 21:38, Blogger ChrisB said...

steffi I have only just published this so thank you for a very quick comment. The old part of Malaga is very interesting, nice architecture, lots of little squares and narrow streets with cafes and shops.

 
At 30/3/07 22:02, Blogger Barbara said...

It looks like a cockroach. They thrive in the heat. You should see the size of them in the north of Australia - huge, and they come up through the pipes and into your shower. Chris have you read A Year In The World by Frances Mayes. She writes beautifully about her visit to Spain.

 
At 30/3/07 22:07, Blogger Molly said...

Your pictures are grand. Although there are several varieties of roaches, your insect might indeed be "la cucacracha."

 
At 30/3/07 22:10, Blogger Beccy said...

Did you know that cockroaches are a delicacy in some countries?

 
At 30/3/07 22:31, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara I have just read googled this book and read some very mixed reviews; next time I go to the bookshop I am going to take a look at it.

mjd thank you I will do another search as I know i didn't find anything with that name.

beccy that's one delicacy I can do without.

 
At 30/3/07 22:36, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

There's so much history and variety on your side of the ocean.

 
At 30/3/07 22:46, Blogger ChrisB said...

anvilcloud that's true; I was a bit worried in past posts that it was a bit like a history lesson so I thought less was more this time, letting the photos tell the story.

 
At 30/3/07 23:21, Blogger FH said...

Isn't that a Cockroach Chris? Looks like one!! :p

Beautiful photos.I have that town center photo of Malaga too.Enjoy Chris.

 
At 30/3/07 23:45, Blogger ChrisB said...

Asha I thought it was a cockroach but I didn't really know. It's nice to know you have visited hope the pictures brought back good memories.

 
At 31/3/07 02:07, Blogger Occasional said...

Love the photographs, I have to get to Europe!

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

John

P.S. I think I met the cockroach in the Phillipines.

 
At 31/3/07 06:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

enid thinks spain is a bit like chocolate truffles. very moorish. (sorry)

 
At 31/3/07 08:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugly bug - I would call that bug a "Squishitquick"

sigh on the rest of the pictures. You're putting the travel bug on me.

 
At 31/3/07 08:39, Blogger ChrisB said...

john thanks for dropping by. I have been over and read a few of your posts. I did the touristy visit to Harvard last year- very immpressive. Your mother in a tigger costume- that could make a good post!

enidd ha ha ha you are so quick- love it.

karmyn it did cross my mind to stamp it out. there are so many places I long to visit. now I have the time I don't have the money but I do have a couple more trips planned later in the year.

 
At 31/3/07 08:53, Blogger Sidetracked Home Executive said...

It looks like a beautiful and amazing place Chris.

Yeah I think it is a cockroach, lol. We get them like that here, they give me the creeps!

 
At 31/3/07 09:49, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam we don't seem to see that many in the UK (or at least I haven't I'm pleased to say)

 
At 31/3/07 18:37, Blogger ~ej said...

ick, that's a cockroach! tho it looks smaller than the ones i've met in my past in the city!
spain looks amazing and now i know i want to visit there one day!!
thanks for sharing the pics and details of your trip, it's been very enjoyable to read and see :)

 
At 31/3/07 20:56, Blogger ChrisB said...

elena jane I think this is the first cockroach I have seen close up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home