Friday, September 11, 2009

LivesStrong With a Taste of Yellow 2009


Every year the wine and food blogging community support The Lance Armstrong Foundation with 'A Taste of Yellow' by raising awareness of cancer issues.

As you've probably gathered, or if you recall from previous years the food you prepare must contain a 'yellow ingredient'. The event is coordinated by Barbara over at winosandfoodies, and details of the blog post must be with her by September 13th so I'm cutting it a bit fine.

I've changed my mind three times but in the end it was the over-ripe bananas sitting in the fruit bowl that made me decide to try my hand at making a Banana Loaf. The first recipe I found was one by Elise at Simply Recipes. It is so easy and I really don't know why I haven't ever made this before. It could be because not all my family like bananas...actually I would go as far as saying one person hates them. I'll leave you to guess who that might be!
Anyway this was the end result.....

Ingredients:
  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)( I reduced sugar and it was fine)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
Method:
No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

I gave a piece to the guy who has just put some tower scaffolding up at the back of my house (that's another story) and he gave it the thumbs up. So I'm satisfied with that.
I'm looking forward to finding lots of new recipes when Barbara publishes the posts on October 2nd which is the date, 10 years ago, that Lance Armstrong was diagnosed with cancer. It was great to see him back in the Tour De France this year after a four year break.

Archives:
2008: Didn't he do well says proud grandmother!
2007: What do you do when....

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11/9/09 23:34, Blogger Beccy said...

no comment!

 
At 11/9/09 23:54, Blogger Living Life said...

Ooooh that sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing.

 
At 12/9/09 02:03, Blogger Unknown said...

So Beccy doesn't like bananas:) I love banana cake. I must try this recipe next time I have soft bananas. Thank you for your support Chris.

 
At 12/9/09 02:48, Blogger karisma said...

Oooh! Yummy! My girls had a go at baking a banana cake the other day. They were most put out when they could not find any commercially packed mixes in the cupboard (I never use them).

I handed them a cookbook and what do you know? They make a beautiful cake and served it up with hot custard! The boys were extremely grateful! LOL

 
At 12/9/09 11:06, Blogger Beccy said...

I came by to check out todays post and I'm faced with that picture of those yucky yellow things!

Btw I make a delicious banana bread...at least that's what Joules and Dillon tell me!

 
At 13/9/09 00:11, Blogger wendishness said...

I love making banana bread, it usually gets rave reviews. Poor Beccy not liking bananas!

 
At 13/9/09 11:07, Blogger ChrisB said...

Karisma I can imagine it would be wonderful with custard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home