Monday, March 17, 2008

Fun Monday # 58 + St Patrick's Day


Nikki has set us this task for St Patrick's Day!
she says
'I don't know about you, but my family is great at creating strange words that only we know the meaning. Some were created when the kids were first learning to talk, others came about when our tongues were twisted and the word came out funny. Either way, the words stuck and we still use them in our daily conversations. What created words does your family use?! Please share the story behind the word if you remember. If you don't have a made up word then tell us about the unspoken way you communicate with someone. Do you and your significant other have a look that means "This party is boring, lets split" or do you have a look that your kids know means their butt is in serious trouble? Please share!! And a picture of the look would be very entertaining! OR/AND In honor of St. Paddy's Day, please share your worst green beer story!'

I suddenly realise I am going to be a real disappointment again this week because I can't really think of any special words.........
I do recall when Beccy was a tiny tot she would tell my mum and Gordon (her husband) to wipe your 'peet' every time they came to visit ( so you can see what I spent my time shouting!) and that became a standing joke for many years.
Embee also tell me that Beccy used to say 'tessin' meaning tennis
and 'brekhurst' for breakfast but clearly it wasn't for long because I don't remember it!

As for a look well I could always give the girls a look to make them toe the line in company but have no photos to show this! I think you need to quickly pass me by to get some good stories.........

I don't even have a green beer story but....... How is this for a pint of guinness!!
Ahhh I've suddenly remembered something that just might amuse you. Back in 1963, on my 19th birthday, I organised a party for my friends in the nurses home where we lived. You were not allowed to live out in the big wide world back then ~ at least not until you were in your final year and wait for it ...with permission from your parents Matron (and we accepted this with good grace)! We weren't supposed to have any alcohol but we had some cider and for fun my friends asked me to do a 'sarah gamp' (the drunken old nurse in one of Dickens novels) pose. I though it looked quite realistic and the other photo is just to prove I was not all the worse for wear!! Well you could hardly get drunk on a few bottles of cider between about a dozen girls and not a bloke in sight!
These were on sale when I was in Dublin recently~ I was tempted to send a certain Aussie a present but I didn't want to risk offending him!

You may not have time to look but Beccy sent me this link and there is a nice little video showing St.Patrick's Day celebrations. I have been to the big parade in Dublin a couple of times but not since Ben has been born so that's more than 7 years ago. It was great fun and I remember there were quite a few marching bands over from the US to join in the festivities. One of the highlights was the spectacular firework display but Beccy tells me that this year it is being held in Cashel which is too far away for them to travel.
I hope everyone who enjoyed a weekend of celebrations has a brilliant St Patrick's Day~slĂ inte!



Archives:

2007: Happy St Patrick's Day

Labels: ,

47 Comments:

At 17/3/08 00:10, Blogger Barbara said...

One of my boys had a security blanket called Uppie. It was on the floor and he pointed at it and said "Up" meaning for us to pick it up. My mother was visiting at the time and she assumed he called it "Up", she picked it up, passed it to him and said "here's Uppie" and it was called that from that day.

 
At 17/3/08 00:11, Blogger Rachel said...

Sounds like fun!

 
At 17/3/08 01:24, Blogger IamwhoIam said...

Cute Pint you got there - and looks as if you wher having fun

 
At 17/3/08 02:24, Blogger Alison said...

I love your pint!!! and the pictures of you..how fun!!

 
At 17/3/08 05:06, Blogger Pamela said...

look at you!!! You were rockin' before you ever became a grandma.. ha ha!!

You are probably like me, after the post you start remembering the rest of the words.

 
At 17/3/08 08:48, Blogger Secret Squirrel said...

HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY

i love the photos of you and i think you are doing a great 'sarah gamp'

also i am glad to hear of your mum and topsy's progress

best wishes to them both and you all,

xox eve xox

 
At 17/3/08 09:56, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Love the Guinness!!! And the word for breakfast was cute.

 
At 17/3/08 10:29, Blogger Aoj and The Lurchers said...

"Wipe you peet" I like that one!

 
At 17/3/08 10:31, Blogger karisma said...

Very cute! I also had trouble remembering some of our funny words, but the more I read out there the more comes back to me! what a small world we live in.

 
At 17/3/08 10:55, Blogger -Ann said...

I saw some bagpipers from the US warming up in front of the hotel in Macroom. I felt really bad for them - it was pouring rain and cold and windy on top of that. Ah well, at least they were getting the authentic irish experience, right?

 
At 17/3/08 12:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Paddy's Day to one and all!

 
At 17/3/08 12:22, Blogger SwampAngel65 said...

Slainte! Despite what you may think, I enjoyed reading your post. Great pictures!!! I always love seeing older pictures of people (even if I don't knwo them, it's still fun).

Have a Great Happy Fun Super St. Patrick's Day!

 
At 17/3/08 12:27, Blogger Alix said...

I love the pictures of you, looks like a fun birthday!
Happy St Patrick's Day

 
At 17/3/08 12:37, Blogger Steffi said...

Happy St Patrick's Day! Funny pictures,Chris!

 
At 17/3/08 12:38, Blogger FH said...

Happy St.Patrick's day to you and familt Chris! Loved those green hats etc, beautiful color. My kids wore green too today, or else they get pinched! :D
Have fun.

 
At 17/3/08 14:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go wipe your peet, too stinkin cute. I think you should have sent WT some St. Paddy day under-roos!

 
At 17/3/08 14:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to PERSONALLY thank you for always having the Mon Funday host/hostess on your sidebar. I ALWAYS click on you to find out.
Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and yours.

 
At 17/3/08 14:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't you look like sam in that old photo, chris!

 
At 17/3/08 14:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pint of guiness pic is wonderful! :o)

 
At 17/3/08 15:11, Blogger Tiggerlane said...

At first, I saw the word "peet" and thought it was going to be somthing dirty. Love the photos of you - too cute! And send the Aussie the pants...better than his pirate panties, any day!

 
At 17/3/08 15:48, Blogger Debs said...

Guiness is Robocop's favorite beer. I don't drink beer meself. I can't stand the taste of it. I do love your pics! :)

Have a great St.Paddy's Day!

 
At 17/3/08 15:49, Blogger ChrisB said...

enidd somehow I don't think sam will be too happy to hear that!!

 
At 17/3/08 16:04, Blogger Attie said...

Love wipe your peet!!

 
At 17/3/08 16:12, Blogger j said...

That brought back memories! My girls used to say "tinky peet" for stinky feet. Thanks for the giggle. Jennifer

 
At 17/3/08 17:00, Blogger Sayre said...

So, the green underwear and the hat - that's an outfit, right?

Would that be a pint, or a half-pint????

 
At 17/3/08 17:29, Blogger Beccy said...

I also said 'elepant' and 'par cark'!

 
At 17/3/08 17:46, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice one Chris! Say happy St. Patricks day to Joules since Beccy's off-line.

 
At 17/3/08 18:12, Blogger Joy T. said...

I didn't participate again this week because I couldn't think of anything. But I'm still visiting and glad I came here :o) Great post!

 
At 17/3/08 18:13, Blogger Junebug said...

The half-pint is cute and so are the pictures of you. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

 
At 17/3/08 18:31, Blogger Heather said...

Okay, the pint of Guinnes is way too cute! I also love the lucky pants! Wish I could get some ;)

 
At 17/3/08 19:19, Blogger the planet of janet said...

love the pint....

 
At 17/3/08 20:31, Blogger Faye said...

Oh I wish I didn't have four dog peet to wipe 100 times a day in this spring mud!

Your nurses' home tale reminds me of having to stay in the home economics house in college--was that not a thousand years ago???

 
At 17/3/08 20:35, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you should have sent those lucky panties to that fellow. :)

Happy St Patrick's Day, don't forget to wipe your peet before Brekhurst. :)

 
At 17/3/08 22:52, Blogger Amanda said...

LOL! That is a cute pint of Guinness

 
At 18/3/08 00:01, Blogger Peter said...

Hi Chris, like others the more I read the more I remember so the assignment was a success.

 
At 18/3/08 00:28, Blogger Sandy said...

Not only is the pint cute and the picture of you terrific, but I love that dress. I have always liked that style...I think I actually saw it in a store last week.

 
At 18/3/08 00:36, Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

The photos of you are great! And wipe your peet is too cute. :-)

 
At 18/3/08 02:28, Blogger Courtney said...

haha! We all need some lucky pants.

 
At 18/3/08 02:45, Blogger frannie said...

those pictures of you are stunning!!! gorgeous!!!

and thank you so much for sticking by my blog as of late... I'm so sorry that I haven't been around too much. I'll try to be better!

 
At 18/3/08 04:53, Blogger Kaytabug said...

LOVED the photo of you!!!
I really enjoyed the stories!
I would totally have sent WT those underoos!! Those are great!

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

 
At 18/3/08 05:08, Blogger bichonpawz said...

Love the pics!! The pint!! Happy St. Patrick's Day to you as well!

 
At 18/3/08 08:02, Blogger my4kids said...

Joshua used to get words switched around like Beccy's tessin. I forgot in my post to mention the fact he still calls animals "aminals" he's said it for so long he can't say it right without thinking about it.

 
At 18/3/08 08:42, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy now why didn't you remind me about those while I was writing the post. I don't know why I didn't think about 'elepant' dad and I still say that sometimes!

 
At 18/3/08 12:43, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy St Patricks Day (for yesterday) from N Ireland! I went to my first ever St Patricks Day parade yesterday in Belfast.

 
At 18/3/08 13:18, Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

I loved that, especially 'peet', that is very cte. And it's funny how we all learn to do 'the look'.

 
At 19/3/08 15:49, Blogger Sam said...

Gee thanks Enidd - so i look like my mum, huh? Well I suppose a 41+ year old woman shoudn't complain about looking 19, should she? If you compare me now to pictures of mum in her early 40s, you will see you are sadly mistaken ;)

 
At 19/3/08 16:00, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam I replied to enidd that you would not be happy with her comment! I didn't look too bad in my early 40's it was only the stress you all caused me that turned me into a fat old frump!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home