Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sausage and Leek Hash

I thought I would try one of the recipes from the book Beccy gave me on Mothering Sunday. All the recipes are one-pot dishes ~ my daughter knows how I hate washing pans after cooking so this is ideal. I think I've probably mentioned before that Embee is rather fond of sausages (although I'm not a sausage fan, the ones I used were from Cam Family Butchers who win awards and they are actually pretty good).
These photos do not really do justice to this meal as the light is very poor in my kitchen and I had to use a flash.
The recipe said to thinly slice potatoes but I have to say they took longer to cook than the recipe stated without any par-boiling.
The end result was a very tasty dish, which Embee loved, but I won't be cooking it too often as I'm ignoring the amount of calories and fat in this dish (I've just noticed the book actually gives the calorie, fat, carbohydrate content of this meal, in hindsight I should have read this first!).
Recipe:
  • 2 tblsp olive oil
  • 6 plump sausages
  • 6 potatoes thinly sliced
  • 350g/12oz thinly sliced leeks (or broccoli or cabbage)
  • 1 tbsp creamed horseradish sauce (or more to taste)
  • 100g/4oz cheddar or gruyère, grated.
Method:
  • Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan. Add sausages and fry gently for 8-10 minutes until well browned. Remove the sausages, then slice them on the diagonal and set aside.
  • Turn the heat to medium and add remaining oil. Add potatoes and leeks and give everything a good stir. Cook until potatoes and leeks are tender and beginning to brown, turning them over from time to time. This will take 15-20 minutes (it actually took twice this time)
  • Toss the sausages back in along with the horseradish, to taste, and heat thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. take pan of the heat and sprinkle in the cheese, season well and stir gently to combine.

Serve with a glass of wine!!

Archives:
2007: No Archive

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

At 11/3/08 09:33, Blogger willowtree said...

You want to know how come I know I'd love this dish?

1) I have sausages regularly (love 'em).

2) I had potato and Leek soup yesterday, yum!

 
At 11/3/08 09:33, Blogger willowtree said...

PS. Those photos came out just fine.

 
At 11/3/08 09:46, Blogger Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Ooooh! That sounds yummy! I wonder if there would be less calorie sif the sausages were par-cooked in the oven? Hmmm...unlikely really! But I might give this a go anyway! Thanks Chris!

 
At 11/3/08 09:50, Blogger Dea said...

Ooh that does sound and look lovely Chris, as does that nice cold glass of wine (Listen to me - it's not even ten am!) Maybe cubes of ham would keep the fat content down and still work well! Glad you're home safe!

 
At 11/3/08 10:22, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT you should join me for lunch there is a leftover portion!!

Angela I think the cheese is probably the worst offender. When I've cooked these sausages in the oven before there is little fat I think they have a high meat content!

Deborah you are right it would work well with ham.

 
At 11/3/08 11:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does not matter how many calories carbohydrates what ever, sometime one just has to have something that is deliscious - and that was delicious. Love

 
At 11/3/08 12:01, Blogger Alix said...

That looks good I am a huge fan of one pot dishes :)

 
At 11/3/08 12:22, Blogger FH said...

What a yummy dish with sausages, potato and Leeks. Slurp!!! That is great recipe. Thanks for posting the recipe Chris, will try!:)
Oh, I remember a dish called "Chickaleekie", I am not sure it's the correct spelling but love it!:)

 
At 11/3/08 15:01, Blogger Sandy said...

That looks SO good! I'm thinking maybe after St. Patty's with a little left-over corned beef....yummy!

 
At 11/3/08 15:41, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

Looks great, and I think it's just more pleasant to ignore the nutritional information on certain dishes!

Lisa

 
At 11/3/08 17:39, Blogger Beckie said...

It looks really tasty!

 
At 11/3/08 19:44, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that looks delicious. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

 
At 11/3/08 20:05, Blogger Julie said...

That looks yummy!

 
At 11/3/08 20:28, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

(I think Nikki at anticsofacrazymom.typepad.com is hosting Fun Monday next week.)

Lisa

 
At 11/3/08 22:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man that looks good! I wonder if I could convince the vegan kid that sausages are ok for dinner...

 
At 11/3/08 22:57, Blogger ChrisB said...

alix I have a lot more to try out over the coming weeks!

asha hope you enjoy it :)

susan you might have a problem but maybe you could substitute with a veggie sausage!

 
At 12/3/08 00:52, Blogger Molly said...

Yum,the meal looks great on our dishes.

 
At 12/3/08 06:34, Blogger Barbara said...

Sounds delicious Chris. Sausages are very high in calories. I like good pork sausages but limit myself to about two once a month.

 
At 12/3/08 23:57, Blogger Joy T. said...

Great photos! I haven't had supper yet and my stomach just growled looking at this scrumptious dish. Yum!

 
At 13/3/08 03:14, Blogger bichonpawz said...

Terrific Recipe, Chris! As soon as I saw the photo...I thought of my mom. Mom passed away a couple of years ago now, but she had the same china set as you!! She always loved those dishes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home