Friday, March 14, 2008

Recuperating!

Following on from yesterday's post. When the phone rang at 9:30 am yesterday and the caller indicated that it was Frenchay Hospital my first thought was that they were going to cancel my mother's minor op. However I was pleasantly surprised when the admissions lady said that they were running ahead of time (guess this meant someone hadn't turned up) and could we be at the hospital for 11 am. I naturally agreed and then it was all systems go. I booked an earlier taxi, having decided it would be less traumatic for my mother, not that she was too happy about this. The hospital is only a couple of miles from home and for some reason there was very little traffic so we actually got there half an hour early but I reasoned that was better than being late.

The receptionist was charming and explained the procedure including the fact that there would be a skin graft. I queried the change of plan but she said that this was listed so I wonder what made the consultant change his mind! There were two patients ahead of my mother and the receptionist said my mother's operation would take about 3/4 of an hour and she was last on the morning list.

I went well equipped with book, paper, and drinks so the time passed quickly. My mother said they were charming as they carried out the procedure and they talked to her all the time. She said the local anaesthetic didn't stop all the pain but she coped.

Apparently they all were all fans of Coronation Street (weekly TV soap) and the future plot was fully discussed. This made me smile as mum never remembers what she had already seen never mind what is to come!
There is a lot of negative press about hospitals but no complaints yesterday, except maybe that I didn't get to speak to a doctor after the procedure was completed!

We finally arrived home early afternoon and I felt my mother had coped well. She has a substantial dressing on her leg and one on the opposite thigh but still managed to have a pretty good night ~ I was only up once to help her. This morning it's less painful and she feels quite bright and as you can see from the photo below~ me I'm hoping all this running around will help me loose a couple of pounds!!

We go back to the hospital for the graft check next Tuesday.

My mother also wanted me to say a big Thank You for all the good wishes you sent her yesterday.
******************************************************
Earlier this week I was given this award by two lovely ladies :)

So I say a big thank you to Alison over at RDH Mom and Alix at DC Days I'm flattered that I can make you smile. I will be proudly add this to my other awards (linked in my side bar). If you haven't visited these ladies I would recommend you drop in and say hello.

Archives:
2007: No Archive

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 14/3/08 10:54, Blogger Beccy said...

It's great to see Granny back home in her chair, send her our love xxx

 
At 14/3/08 11:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased your mother's surgery went well and that she's already feeling better;)!

 
At 14/3/08 12:39, Blogger Happy Working Mom said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything went well. She looks great for having just gone through that. I hope her recovery is quick and painless!

 
At 14/3/08 12:39, Blogger Alix said...

Very pleased it all went well for your MUm, nice to hear a positive hospital experience :)

Glad you liked the award.

 
At 14/3/08 17:18, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad it went well!!

 
At 14/3/08 17:56, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

I'm so glad everything went well, and she was treated well at the hospital.
She certainly looks happy to be staying home today!
Lisa

 
At 14/3/08 19:55, Blogger Julie said...

Glad to hear everything went well!

 
At 14/3/08 20:27, Blogger wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

I'm happy to read that it went well for your mother and you. And doesn't she look chirpy in the photo!

 
At 14/3/08 21:24, Blogger Steffi said...

It´s great to see your mom sitting in her chair at home!Best greetings to her!

 
At 15/3/08 00:38, Blogger Sam said...

She looks in fine spirits. Please send her my love too

 
At 15/3/08 02:01, Blogger Unknown said...

She looks great! Glad all went well. :)

 
At 15/3/08 07:12, Blogger my4kids said...

So glad everything went well! She does look bright.

 
At 15/3/08 11:45, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Glad all went to plan.... your mum looks so sweet and lovely, do ya think she would adopt me :)

x

 
At 15/3/08 15:25, Blogger Anon said...

Ahhh...bless!

 
At 15/3/08 21:28, Blogger Barbara said...

I think she was so brave to have this done under a local.

I miss Coronation Street. It's on pay TV here and we don't subscribe.

 
At 16/3/08 19:06, Blogger Joy T. said...

Again, catching up here, but it looks like your mom is coming along well. She looks so darn sweet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home