Thursday, December 21, 2006

Winter Solstice



Today is the Winter Solstice and it is the shortest day and longest night. The last couple of days here in the UK have been very foggy and cold and this has prevented many from reaching their destinations as flights have been cancelled leaving thousands stranded at airports. Here in Bristol by lunchtime the sun was out and I have just seen the most beautiful sunset. It's still not dark at 4 pm which has actually given us a longer than usual day but I'm not complaining as I hate the short days.

Researching tells me Winter Solstice is also known as Yule, Christmas, and Saturnalia, occurs in mid December. It celebrates the birth of the new Solar year and the beginning of Winter. The Goddess manifests as the Great Mother and the God as the Sun Child. The God also appears as Santa Claus and Old Man Winter. Colours are Red, Green, and White. This is a festival of inner renewal. Strengthen bonds with family and friends by visiting and/or exchanging gifts and greetings. Decorate your home with lights, greens, and holiday colours. Bless your home with a Yule wreath on your front door and sprigs of mistletoe inside.
So this is the day I decided to post a picture of our Christmas Tree. You will not be able to see clearly but we have an angel rather than a fairy on top of the tree and a few of the decorations, such as the lanterns, are very old. Some decorations have been made by my grandchildren, who normally decorate the tree for me if they arrive early enough. This year they will be arriving on Christmas Eve and it's fingers crossed there are no delays with fights from Dublin on that day.
I know we still have a few days to go (thank goodness because I still have a lot to do) but I do have a turkey now so there's one thing off the list of last minute shopping.
Tonight I am going out to dinner so need to get ready; it takes me a long time to decide what to wear I will probably try on several things and end up wearing the first thing I tried on what's the saying 'I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure' that just about sums me up.
The thought of a few more moments of daylight tomorrow is already helping to lift the winter gloom and this doting grandmother is happily anticipating the arrival of her grandchildren as well as her daughter and son-in-law of course.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 21/12/06 17:47, Blogger Beccy said...

I'm hoping the weather really improves, we've had loads of fog and planes are delayed. I have been told the forecast is for the weather to get clearer and better which is good news for us.

We're all looking forward to seeing you too.

 
At 21/12/06 17:53, Blogger FH said...

Beautiful Xmas tree Chris!:))

3 more days to go,enjoy Christmas and happy new year to all of you.

 
At 21/12/06 21:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a peaceful winter solstice!

 
At 21/12/06 23:31, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy Sunday will soon be here

Asha the tree is quite pretty so I am pleased with it. Enjoy your holiday.

Rhea thank you for dropping by; having read your post I see we obviously had similar thoughts today. I was in your beautiful city back in Oct and really enjoyed sightseeing and learning some of the history.

 
At 22/12/06 00:15, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Chris: I was so moved by this post I couldn't comment right away. ::sniffle::
I envy you your anticipation as Beccy and family get ready to arrive.
Have a wonderful holiday with your family!!
And bring on the daylight, eh?
xx

 
At 22/12/06 00:46, Blogger Sam said...

I had to stop going home for Christmas when doting mother turned into doting grandmother.

Could you believe it - i went home to find no smoked salmon (the grandchildren don't like it) and custard on the trifle (the grandchildren prefer it that way),

I guess it was then time to grow up.

I anticipate cookie crumb and other friends coming to my house this christmas eve. Cookie - since I have no family, I hope you, alog with all my other lost-soul friends will be part of my surrogate family instead, this weekend. I might even put custard on the trifle.

 
At 22/12/06 07:37, Blogger ChrisB said...

Cookie Crumb I know good things don't last for ever so I am making the most of every Christmas they're able to come. We really wish we could see Sam and Fred as well. So please give her a big hug and kiss from me when you see her on Christmas Eve. (Good job you can't see the tears here).

Sam awwh I failed as a mother first the art and then the salmon and custard. I think that year must have been a blip. I do have smoked salmon but I bet dad will be the only one to eat it. Have a great time with your friends tomorrow love you xx

 
At 22/12/06 17:41, Blogger Sam said...

if you had failed as a mother there wouldn't be someone like me on this earth, would there now? ;)

You know I was just teasing you about the salmon and the custard, and the art thing - well you know it is precisely because you wouldn't let me do it that I ended up making a living from it. You just recognised my rebellious streak, that's all. That makes you the perefect mother in my book.

love you too

sam x

 
At 22/12/06 18:38, Blogger sallywrites said...

I agree Chris! Roll on the lighter nights!!

Have a lovely Christmas!

Sally

 
At 22/12/06 19:20, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sally It's been darker here today than yesterday and quite foggy. Lets hope fora better day tomorrow, weather forcast not very hopeful! A friend of mine was flying in from Canada today so I hope she made it OK.

 
At 22/12/06 22:39, Blogger Beccy said...

I believe I made the trifle that year, and I don't even like custard!

By the way I love BBQ smoked salmon on my homemade brown bread!

 
At 23/12/06 08:17, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy you'll be competing with dad but you'll need to make the bread can you manage without the kitchen aid !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home