Monday, June 08, 2009

Fun Monday # 118 When I'm 80 years young!


Sayre has chosen a topic that I feel I'm hurtling towards she says:

Using your imagination, project into the future and tell me what you will be like as an 80-year old. Will you be someone who doesn't accept the aging process, spending all your time in the gym and the bars, or will you be a rocking chair granny, or something in between?

When I asked Embee what he thought I would be doing at 80 he said "pushing up Daisies" but I'm hoping that I will still be around in fifteen years time. I wonder if I will still be blogging then- I suppose I'm already classed as a 'silver surfer'!!!!

Way before I retired I always imagined that I would still be playing tennis for as long as I lived. Sadly my body did not agree with my brain and I found that I could no longer play to any standard (I'm an all or nothing kind of person) without being in agony for days afterwards. So I decided to give up and that was about 4-5 years ago. So this is one thing I will NOT be doing if I ever reach 80.

As many of you will know I have been doing a little travelling since I retired; seeing different countries, experiencing different food and cultures is something I really have enjoyed so if I have the funds and can get insurance I might just be taking a trip or two at 80. After all I hope I will be around to see my grandchildren happily settled-and possibly cuddle some great-grandchildren.

The reality will probably be quite different to how I imagine. There is a strong possibility that my hip/knee will need medical attention long before then. I would hope, and be happy, if I can retain my independence. Of course that means still being able to drive which is a big challenge at any time let alone when one reaches 80! I hope I'll still be able to have a weekly trip to the pool for a swim (and that it's still free for us oldies).

I would like to have a crystal ball and see where I will be living because I know it won't be here, as we will have to down size sometime in the not too distant future. I hope whereever I'm living at 80 I will have a little garden where I can sit and read and enjoy nature.

The one thing I know for sure is that I do not want to be is a burden to my girls but neither do I want to end up in a nursing home to vegetate. So I will try and stay healthy, take a little exercise and when I get to 80 I'll let you know what I'm doing.


Archives:
2008: Meme-All about me
2007: The wanderer Returns + Creme de Framboise-update

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

At 8/6/09 12:23, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

"Silver Surfer"....I like this a lot...go grannie, go grannie, go!!!!

Pushin' up daisies...figures, that is truly a man's perspective, isn't it?


My fun monday is posted....but, take note, there is an 'x' rated cartoon involved. But all in fun. In fact my whole 80'ish monday today, IS fun!!!

 
At 8/6/09 13:20, Blogger Sayre said...

My grandmother gained a whole new life after 70... After an adulthood of being a single mother and working full time at a demanding job, she had time to do the things she always wanted to do. She went to Churchill, Canada to see polar bears. She went to Egypt and rode camels and toured tunnels under the city. She went to Copper Canyon in Mexico (now THAT was a story!) and rode a train through some amazing scenery. Never before did she have the time or the funds to travel but later she did - and crammed as much living into those last 14 years of her life as she did in the previous 70!

But she did NOT play tennis.

Thanks for playing!

 
At 8/6/09 13:51, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You were able to stay on the courts much longer than I.

 
At 8/6/09 14:01, Anonymous jill said...

isnt in terrible? we work our whole lives to try and buy a house and then end up getting rid of it because its too big! ack! i'm sure you'll still be blogging!

 
At 8/6/09 15:16, Anonymous Mariposa said...

WOOT to Silver Surfer!

I'd love you to continue blogging... ;)

 
At 8/6/09 15:36, Anonymous Janis said...

Hey "Silver Surfer" I love that! Chris you have a great outlook. I agree with you, I pray that I know when its time to stop driving, that will be a very hard decision. Also downsizing, we have already been looking.

 
At 8/6/09 15:52, Anonymous margaret said...

Hahaha, I like the Silver Surfer!

I hear you about "downsizing" your home. The older I get, the more I realize that "stuff" just takes up space and time...but experiences and memories are what make life worth living. A small, cozy place that meets my needs would just free up more time for traveling and living life!

Wonderful post, thank you for sharing!

 
At 8/6/09 16:21, Blogger Sam said...

I dunno - I quite fancy being looked after in a nursing home, causing havoc and organising all the social activity. I guess when my time comes, I'll have no choice given the lack of any heirs to look after me.

So mum, if I let you come live with me, will you be upset if I bitch you all the time, like you do to granny?

 
At 8/6/09 16:37, Anonymous Beckie said...

I don't want to be in a nursing home either - they always smell bad.

As Sayre mentioned I've seen people gain a whole new life after 70. That's kind of exciting to think about.

I actually did FM this week - it's been a long time.

 
At 8/6/09 16:50, Blogger Rayne said...

They are making so many advances with hip/knee/etc. replacement that you don't know...maybe they will be better than ever.
I like that you are taking care of yourself now and realize that you are also taking care of your future.

 
At 8/6/09 16:52, Blogger Gattina said...

You and I have similar thoughts about ageing ! and you would be surprised how man disabled people are travelling ! My friend who had polio when she was 3 has to walk with crutches (she is now 54) but I tell you she goes everywhere she can ! and then you never know ! I can cross the street tomorrow and be run over by a car, lol !
I like the "Silver surfer" although I keep my blond !

 
At 8/6/09 22:22, Blogger Beccy said...

I only wish I could get you to downsize to Ireland. Pensioners travel free here on trains and buses so you could travel the whole country!

 
At 8/6/09 22:46, Blogger Faye said...

Well you should give Embee short tea rations for that "pushing up daisies" remark ChrisB! Too bad about having to give up tennis, but the swimming is just as effective and better on the joints, isn't it? Agree with you about the travel--I hope I have the health and funds to make many more adventurous trips. Nothing like experiencing the world to keep your mind and spirit young.

 
At 9/6/09 01:44, Blogger Sandy said...

Silver Surfer is a terrific title! I am glad that you are enjoying all your travel and trying new things. I think that trying new things is the key to keeping our old brain relatively new.

Thanks for a great post.

 
At 9/6/09 08:09, Blogger bichonpawz said...

Love the Silver Surfer! Hopefully I'll still be blogging at 80!! Travelling is always good!!

 
At 9/6/09 09:29, Anonymous EmBee said...

One of the Troubles with getting past 25 years of age!!!! is that one's hearing goes. My family on both sides did not go in for longevity and what I said to ChrisB was that I expected to be pushing up the daisies except that I suppose you will scatter my ashes somewhere.Sam as to bitching please do not think for one moment that it is a one way job. Neither of them listen to each other and both talk at once but the older on can be a nuisance

 
At 9/6/09 18:07, Blogger Sam said...

darling daddy - we can *all* be nuisances. Often without even trying ;)

 
At 9/6/09 18:09, Blogger Sam said...

Also - silver surfer? doesn't she still dye it blonde ;)

I, on the other hand, am well on the way to be a truly silver surfer.

 
At 9/6/09 19:41, Anonymous Stephanie, Mama Dramatist said...

Hey!! You'd better darn well still be blogging at 80! You're inspiration to SO many!!

(Including me and wee Bethany...)

 
At 10/6/09 19:39, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam a few highlights twice a year is not exactly dying it. A plus of being in China was that the sun bleached it, so I looked blonder.

 
At 13/6/09 02:47, Anonymous grace said...

If you can make it to Africa, please add it to your list of places to visit, liked your post

 
At 13/6/09 07:51, Blogger Pamela said...

you can always join me in a rocking chair circle. I'm so pooped from chasing grandkids that a nice nap in the rocker just sounds wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home