Friday, June 08, 2007

The wanderer returns

I had such a hectic day yesterday my feet hardly touched the ground so I didn't get my usual fix of blog reading!! I'm sure you are not at all interested that I had to visit the bank to pay my credit card bill. There is no way I intend to pay interest so I clear the card each month. I'm a bit preoccupied with my finances at the moment because for some reason I cannot fathom why the amount of my pension has decreased by £78 this month. Now that may not seem much but to someone on a fixed income with constantly increasing utility bills that makes a huge difference and I didn't even realise this until I got my bank statement yesterday. I will now have to do battle with the telephone to try and get through to the correct department dealing with civil service pensions (don't you just hate all the music and pre-recorded messages, " press 1 for... 2... etc or "all our operators are busy at present we value your call and someone will be with you shortly"... this gets a bit tedious after you've heard it umpteen times and the side of your head is so hot from the radio waves your brain feels its frying). Sorry I digress- after the bank I then went for a swim and I had booked a 'waxing session' (no you don't want the details) following my swim. Anyway when I got there M said she was running 10 mins late and half an hour later she was finally ready for me (mind you the bits of the conversation about some woman's love life that I earwigged from the other room had been quite entertaining). When I finally got home I had an hour to eat a snack, shower and wash my hair and get ready to take my mother out to my brother's to have tea with an uncle and aunt we hadn't seen for four years. Thank goodness I made the cake I was taking the evening before (Somerset apple cake has become a favourite of my brother's).
After all this we still managed to arrive at my brother's house, which is about 15 miles away, just before 3pm and had a very pleasant afternoon. One of my nieces, who lives nearby, brought her two children along after school, and I had a great time playing football and pretend horse racing with them. They are such lovely children and so well behaved they are a credit to my niece. I took a few photos including this one:
We finally got home just before 7pm and my mother was looking quite pale and tired, she also had pains in her chest but she's a lot better today. Not long after we arrived home I had a phone call from embee to say he had reached the M4 and would be home in an hour and a half. When he finally arrived, along with a bag of dirty washing (nice present), he deposited this just inside the front door, promising to move it today (I'm holding you to that embee!). I can see there are a few bottles of 'bubbly' but he has also managed to find two different types of 'Creme de Framboise' which we have been trying to buy ever since Sam raved about it as a cure for hiccups. The bottle on the right is stone and is rather nice and will be added to my stone jar collection in the kitchen once it's finished.


Sam and Beccy, Uncle D and Auntie G send their love and they were very interested in hearing all the family news.

Labels: , ,

27 Comments:

At 8/6/07 11:01, Blogger Beccy said...

I hope Granny is feeling better.

We're off to kayak the Dordogne today.

 
At 8/6/07 11:32, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy that sounds great fun- enjoy the day- don't get wet!!

 
At 8/6/07 11:40, Blogger Barbara said...

Nice stash Chris.

 
At 8/6/07 13:17, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara I think we will start the sampling this evening.

 
At 8/6/07 13:50, Blogger FH said...

Do you have to go the bank to pay the cc bills? Don't they have online payment system?! That is chore every month to go there personally.
Nice bunch of booze!!Enjoy:))

 
At 8/6/07 14:00, Blogger ChrisB said...

asha I could do it by phone or set up a debit system but for some reason, although everything elase is done that way I've never done that with my credit card account. I think it makes me check it more closely this way!

 
At 8/6/07 14:24, Blogger Tiggerlane said...

That last photo is making me want to drink - and it's too early on a Friday morning for that. Luscious...I'll look for it, and try to sample it for myself!

 
At 8/6/07 15:11, Blogger Sam said...

good job mum - I can't believe how much the kids have grown since I las saw them. DOn't go getting hiccups on purpose now!

 
At 8/6/07 15:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris I will move that stash if you need it, to my house!
Glad you had a nice visit. It's so nice when you have children around who actually have manners (and it is a credit to their parents!)
Mine are good for everyone else, so I guess that's something.

 
At 8/6/07 15:32, Blogger AfKaP said...

One picture of the family and two of the stash! Hmmm!

 
At 8/6/07 15:32, Blogger frannie said...

I would freak out if I suddenly "lost" $78 a month. (I don't know how to make the sign for pounds)

I hope your mum is feeling better!

and I love the stone bottle- it is beautiful!

 
At 8/6/07 15:37, Blogger Unknown said...

You drunkard!! Are you the one at the front, in the pink shirt?

 
At 8/6/07 16:12, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam I was looking at a photo of you with Tegan when she was a baby; have you seen her since then?

tiggerlane I was tempted to take a little swig but decided I'd better not

frannie it's a big blow to me, I have a feeling it will be due to changes in the tax system which has just been introduced and without going into detail it makes some pensioners ( aged 60-65) worse off because they are not old enough to get an extra tax allowance. I had thought this was not being introduced until 2008 and that's what I need to get checked.

johng cute aren't I ?!?!

 
At 8/6/07 16:16, Blogger ChrisB said...

wendy drat I'm getting caught out here!! I have to say that will last us quite a while and a lot of the champagne will be saved ready for Christmas when I hope the family will come- that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!

 
At 8/6/07 16:21, Blogger ChrisB said...

lisa- nice try. I could always take Sam and Beccy anywhere and they behaved impeccably, saving their worst behaviour for me at home!!

 
At 8/6/07 16:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From that bottle the word "Willamette" jumped out at me - because I live in the Willamette Valley - I'm sure it's a different one....


(Oregon's Willamette Valley is famous for its wines)

 
At 8/6/07 17:20, Blogger ChrisB said...

karmyn I have looked on the bottle (all written in French) I think 'williamette' might be the name of the type of raspberry but not sure. I've googled your valley and see they make some some good wine there; lucky you.

 
At 8/6/07 17:36, Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Hmmm, can I have a taste!?

Sounds like a busy day! Glad your mother was feeling better the next, though.

 
At 8/6/07 18:42, Blogger ChrisB said...

rachel I have champagne on ice and will add some of the framboise so will tell you what it's like tomorrow

 
At 8/6/07 20:23, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Your embee is a treasure. Just like Sam's Fred.
(And yes, Sam, I wondered if it was worth "catching" a fake case of hiccups.)

 
At 8/6/07 20:48, Blogger ChrisB said...

CC hic hic hic oops ~I need the cure!

 
At 8/6/07 22:25, Blogger sallywrites said...

Poor you chris. Hope you sort out the pension thing. I think the the tax changed with the budget. That might have altered it slightly. Good luck!

 
At 8/6/07 23:02, Blogger ChrisB said...

sally I may well have to seriously start looking for a part time job- but I'm probably unemployable!!

 
At 9/6/07 00:32, Blogger willowtree said...

Well aren't you the social butterfly. I got exhausted just reading the post. Welcome home.

Being robbed of 78 pounds is not small matter, whether you work or not. It's much worse though if you are being robbed every month.

I have a foolproof cure for hiccups (this is no joke), send me an email if you're interested.

I think the Word Verification person has a fear of eggs, this is my WV...yolkevl.

 
At 9/6/07 02:02, Blogger Unknown said...

Argh -- those computers options drive me nuts. Especially when you press the wrong button and can't navigate back to the beginning. Good luck sorting out your pension trouble!! Hope it's done quickly.

I love the stone jar!!

I'd really love to find one -- to store my bread starter. Now I'll be on the hunt for one;).

Sounds like you had a lovely visit with your family. We're in Bristol tomorrow visiting some rellies...for a BBQ. I hope it's nice and sunny;).

 
At 9/6/07 03:14, Blogger my4kids said...

Thats a lovely family photo and the kids are cute.
Also wow thats a lot of alcohol!

 
At 9/6/07 09:28, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT now you really have got me intrigued I shall be emailing you shortly.

Tigger lamb girl now I'm curious (ok nosey) which area of Bristol will you be visiting. I think you will be in luck with the weather enjoy the BBQ.

My4kids it does look a lot but I assure you we are not raving alcoholics- well I'm not anyway!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home