Thursday, May 31, 2007

Name this tree!

I know I'm being rather silly but I'm feeling rather melancholic today. Not because of the weather, although that's extremely changeable; it's literally pouring down one minute and feeling quite cool, then the sun comes and it's hot and this has been the pattern so far today!! The real reason I'm feeling low is because Beccy and the family will be out of touch for the next three weeks. Don't get me wrong I'm absolutely delighted that they are having a three week holiday in France with Joules' family. Dillon, Mollie and Ben will have a brilliant time with their little cousins, aunts and uncles and their other grandparents; Ben rang me last night to tell me all about it and say goodbye- he's such a sweetie. I suppose I've got used to daily contact through the blogs and more recently skype and this is what I will, selfishly, miss. However Beccy and Ben are coming to spend a few days with us in July while Dillon and Mollie are away at camp so I have that to look forward to.
Now what have I been doing
Yesterday (Weds) on my walk with Angel I decided to concentrate on trees. Growing up in the country I was far more interested in climbing them than learning their names. Of course we all knew where to get our conkers and had marvelous fights to see who had the champion conker. I think this has now been banned in schools because of H&S issues, yes, there is an element of risk but what's a few bruises compared to learning good eye to hand co-ordination and having fun that cost nothing!! On the other hand were we just lucky and what would have happened if someone had been seriously injured, probably not a lot when I was a child; nowadays someone would be sued!! So I guess it has to be better safe than sorry- what do you think?
The Horse Chestnut which gives us conkers.
We suddenly came across a tree that had been unrooted, I couldn't decide if this was part of the estate management or whether it had been blown over in a storm.
I couldn't get a full photo of it as it was a really huge tree. In fact it was so big it spanned the river and I couldn't get it all in camera view, about half of it is in this picture.
It seemed strange to suddenly see this little conifer on the edge of the wood, alongside its tall friends!
Now this is the tree I cannot name and I'm relying on someone being able to tell me- I wonder if it is a rhododendron!! (The flowers were almost over).
We also stumbled across lots of molehills and Angel was more than a little interested and tried to dig into a couple of them.
We were out for a couple of hours and another hour yesterday evening - needless to say we both slept very well!!
Today (Thurs) I have been having internet connection problems and have only been able to stay on line for the last couple of hours which is why I am late posting this. I wanted to go swimming this morning which meant I was up and out with Angel by 7am. We only did a short walk 1.6 miles and she did not look impressed when I later went off without her. It was also the monthly Market this afternoon and I took my mother, luckily we just about got back between the storms. I was able to get a lovely lot of fresh fruit and veg grown about 30 miles away. I'm particularly looking forward to trying the early raspberries, strawberries and the asparagus and embee had to have a pastie for his lunch tomorrow!

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

At 31/5/07 18:11, Blogger Amy W said...

Strawberry season is ending here soon in North Carolina, I love fresh fruit...

Keep your head up with they are on vacation, you will get to see them soon! And we will miss Beccy posting as well...

 
At 31/5/07 18:18, Blogger ChrisB said...

Amy so when does your strawberry season start?

 
At 31/5/07 18:57, Blogger my4kids said...

Like everyone tells me about Kelly. They will be home soon and just think they will be actually with you for a few days in July, thats even better then the blog and skype.
As for the tree...hmmm....I'm not sure. I know rhododendron's since they are the only plants I seem to be able to keep alive but its hard to tell from the picture.
Great pictures by the way. Is having Angel there to take walks with you making you want a dog?

 
At 31/5/07 18:58, Blogger Beckie said...

The items from the market sound delicious.

I leaf doesn't look right for a rhodie, but it may be some variety of a rhodie that I am not familiar with. Oh my, I'm not a lot of help.

 
At 31/5/07 19:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The leaves don't look right for a Rhododendron - at first glance I thought they looked similar to a Cherry tree. Is that fruit on there too?

Maybe crabapple or something like that?

 
At 31/5/07 20:10, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris, further to my e-mail. It isn't the sweet chestnut. I did a bit of searching , and I think it's a variety of horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum). The red flowered variety.

Do I get a prize? lol.

 
At 31/5/07 21:15, Blogger FH said...

We will miss Beccy too Chris.Hang in there.Three weeks are long time indeed but at least they get to enjoy the holiday,then they will visit you:))
You do walk a lot,good for you.I love Angel!!Grew up with big German Shepherd but now we have puny little Bichon Frise!;D
I can't even about the tree Chris,doesn't look familiar to me!

 
At 31/5/07 22:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

my4kids it makes me sound very selfish when I think about your situation and of course you're right 3 weeks is nothing and it will pass very quickly. I'm enjoying all the fitness side of walking but No I wouldn't want another dog of my own, I'd forgotten just how messy the house gets.

beckie the fruit was delicious much nicer flavour than the supermarket.

karmyn see what john says.

john I tried googling for it but didn't find a red horse chestnut (then I lost internet connection) but you could well be right I will have to go back later in the year to check it out!! I will also do some more checking myself when I have time. But thank you for all your efforts ;that deserves a prize in itself! ( mind I'll need an address)

asha I've got their visit to look forward to but it will only be Ben coming so I won't be seeing Dillon and Mollie.

 
At 31/5/07 22:51, Blogger Barbara said...

I'd have said Rhododendron but I no nothing about trees. I'll miss Beccy too.

 
At 1/6/07 03:34, Blogger frannie said...

dumb American here- but what is a conker?? I've never heard that term before.

And I totally miss Beccy! a lot! and I don't even know her in real life... I'm sure you must be missing her terribly!

I really do miss her a lot. My blog won't be the same without her sweet and insightful comments.

I'm going to go cry now....

 
At 1/6/07 06:05, Blogger Kila said...

My mom is also used to reading up on me each day--she loves that I blog about the kids. She would sure go through withdrawal if I didn't post for 3 weeks!

 
At 1/6/07 06:17, Blogger my4kids said...

Not selfish at all chrisb, I would have a hard time with 3 weeks also at least I can communicate with Kelly if there was no communication then I'd have problems.

 
At 1/6/07 07:18, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I'm going to miss Beccy also!

As for the conkers, there is something to be said for letting kids be kids. It's all a partof growing up. I chipped my elbow having a chicken fight, but I'd never deprive my children of the pleasure of one themselves. Hopefully without broken bones!

 
At 1/6/07 07:45, Blogger ChrisB said...

frannie not dumb at all I'm for ever googling to find out about things other bloggers talk about. It's actually the fruit of the HorseChestnut Tree(1st photo) see thislinkfor more info about the silly championships that are held here in UK. I'll add a picture to the post if I can find one.

kila what ever did we do before the internet- well me I had huge phone bills!!

emma I feel that too but I did wonder if I was being a bit old fashioned!

 
At 1/6/07 08:01, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara beccy will be so touched that she is going to be missed by so many of you. Originally they were going to take a laptop but decided against it and I think it will do her good to have a complete rest. She will have a lot to blog about when she gets back so that will be good.

 
At 1/6/07 14:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris- I am horrible naming plants, etc. so no help there!
I was sorry I wasn't able to e-mail Beccy before she left, I will miss her.I figured she would have a nice long holiday, because you Europeans really do it right!
I was wondering about conker, too, so thanks to Frannie!

 
At 1/6/07 17:02, Blogger AfKaP said...

Your firsrt image is gorgeous - I love the darkness of the branches against the green of the leves - lovely rhythm to that picture!

 
At 1/6/07 17:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss you all when you're away...and i miss you all when I'M away....literally or figuratively! everyone on these blogs are a part of my life.
your walk about looked nice, good weather at least for it.
that tree looks enormous!!

 
At 1/6/07 19:14, Blogger ChrisB said...

Lisa hi, I've got plenty of friends to virtually visit so can't think why I made a fuss. (well I can but can't go into detail) She'll have a wonderful time and that's all that matters.

wendy your artistic eye always see so much more; I've been really trying to look at things differently and I do have a few photos that might interest you coming soon!

elena jane weather greatly improved today warm and sunny just right for a walk.

 
At 2/6/07 14:32, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have vague recollections of conkers (chestnuts) when I was very young in Montreal, but other than that people over here don't know about it. Not enough of those trees, I guess.

 
At 2/6/07 14:52, Blogger ChrisB said...

I think conker fights is one of these weird British traditions and we have masses of Horse chestnut trees.

 
At 4/6/07 19:14, Blogger Beccy said...

I'm touched at all the lovely comments. I'm sorry I don't have time to read all the blogs I usually do just having a quick peek at mum's blog to catch up with her.

 
At 5/6/07 06:34, Blogger Pamela said...

NOT a rhododendrun

 
At 5/6/07 07:12, Blogger Pamela said...

I am so curious ... as it has some components of Daphne, and camelia
but, I've never seen any berries.

Can you get a better picture??

 
At 5/6/07 16:37, Blogger ChrisB said...

pamela I put a couple of new photos on my photo blog you will see the linK on my side bar. I went back to take some more pictures, I'll be interested in what you think- thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home