Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Low-Fat Moist Carrot Cake

I have been looking for an excuse to try this carrot cake recipe and today was the perfect opportunity as I had a friend coming for coffee. I got up bright and early to make it fresh, my mother made me laugh she said "will it be real carrot cake I only like it real" not quite sure what she means, possibly real=shop bought (you may remember we've been here before with her birthday cake that she wouldn't let me make and then regretted)!! However, having got a whiff of the aroma coming from the kitchen she then thought it smelt lovely and couldn't wait to taste it. I did not have the correct size baking tin so used a slightly larger one, therefore cake did not turn out quite as deep.
I did add walnuts for additional decoration as this looked a bit plain and a slight dusting of cinnamon would add some more colour.
So what was the verdict-did it compare to the 'real' stuff!! My friend enjoyed it and took some home, my mother suggested that I don't give it all away!! so it couldn't have been too bad after all.


Ingredients
6 oz (175 g) dark brown soft sugar, sifted
2 large eggs at room temperature
4 fl oz (120 ml) sunflower oil
7 oz (200 g) wholemeal self-raising flour
1½ level teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
3 rounded teaspoons mixed spice
grated zest 1 orange
7 oz (200 g) carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
6 oz (175 g) sultanas

For the topping:

9 oz (250 g) Quark (skimmed-milk soft cheese) (I used Philadelphia)
¾ oz (20 g) caster sugar (adjust to personal taste)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 rounded teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus a little extra for dusting

For the syrup glaze:

juice ½ small orange (I used juice of whole orange)
1 dessertspoon lemon juice
1½ oz (40 g) dark brown soft sugar

Method
Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3, 325°F (170°C).

You will also need a non-stick oblong cake tin measuring 6½ x 10 inches (16 x 25.5 cm), top measurement 7 x 10½ inches (18 x 26.5 cm),1½ inches (4 cm) deep, the base lined with silicone paper (parchment).

Begin by whisking the 6 oz (175 g) sugar, eggs and oil together in a bowl using an electric hand whisk for 2-3 minutes. Then sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and the mixed spice into the bowl, tipping in all the bits of bran that are left in the sieve. Now stir all this together, then fold in the orange zest, carrots and sultanas. After that pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 35-40 minutes, until it is well risen and feels firm and springy to the touch when lightly pressed in the centre.

While the cake is cooking, make the topping by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl until light and fluffy, then cover with clingfilm and chill for 1-2 hours or until needed.

Now you need to make the syrup glaze, and to do this whisk together the fruit juices and sugar in a bowl. Then, when the cake comes out of the oven, stab it all over with a skewer and quickly spoon the syrup over as evenly as possible. Now leave the cake on one side to cool in the tin, during which time the syrup will be absorbed. Then, when the cake is completely cold, remove it from the tin, spread the topping over, cut it into 12 squares and dust with a little more cinnamon. (I actually use a syringe to inject the glaze rather than spoon it over).

This recipe is taken from How to Cook Book One. (I believe this is a reference to one of Delia's cook books you can find it on Amazon)
...........

I cannot remember where I first saw this recipe so I'm unable to give credit to that blogger but after googling I found this recipe from 'Delia online' and this must have been the origin as it is almost identical so if you like to save recipes and don't want to print mine you will find it here

Labels: ,

31 Comments:

At 5/6/07 14:00, Blogger Unknown said...

That looks fabulous. Carrot Cake is one of my fav cakes. Next to red velvet cake, mississipi mud cake, texas sheet cake (also choccy), and lemon cake...........all gotta be homemade though.

It may be low-fat, but I think it's high calorie.... but then it's cake and oh forget it, I'm gonna make it and enjoy it.

 
At 5/6/07 14:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

chris, people on the enidd diet shouldn't have to look at pictures of your lovely cooking! not fair.

 
At 5/6/07 14:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris- I love carrot cake, and that looks wonderful! I think no matter what if it's too thick it becomes heavy, so you solved that with your tin size!

 
At 5/6/07 14:18, Blogger ChrisB said...

tiger lamb girl - red velvet and texas sheet cake now I am intigued I shall have to google these!!

enidd I need to join you- a walk to the bank might help to use up a few calories probably not even half a slice though!!

 
At 5/6/07 14:47, Blogger ChrisB said...

lisa you're right I didn't think of that!

 
At 5/6/07 15:19, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I find that most light cooking has been well thought out an is quite tasty.

 
At 5/6/07 15:40, Blogger Sam said...

ewwwwww. sultanas. blaech.

 
At 5/6/07 15:41, Blogger FH said...

I am drooling here!!!I love Carrot cake with walnuts.I made one too remember? Love the Icing too.I think better than cinnamon sprinkle!:))
Wish I was there to taste a slice!

 
At 5/6/07 15:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me love some carrot cake. I just made some fantastic lemon bars. I should post the recipe.

 
At 5/6/07 15:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry but the last step of the recipe is missing; i.e. "Now send to the very nice man!"

 
At 5/6/07 16:26, Blogger ChrisB said...

Ac this was definitely a good spicy taste

sam you wouldn't notice the sultanas- well maybe you would you could disect like you did as a child!!

Asha wish I could give you a slice; the cinnom could be sprinkled over the topping!!

Nikki now those sound good I for one would like the recipe :)

erik not sure which part is missing ?? You can get the recipe from the link. I will email it to you asap.

 
At 5/6/07 19:25, Blogger my4kids said...

Looks good to me! I love carrot cake.
Your mother is funny by the way...real=store bought....

 
At 5/6/07 19:43, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

"I only like it real." LOL! I understand completely. My mom only likes fruit from the grocery store, preferable in a jar. She wouldn't eat my dad's homegrown grapes. (More for me!)
Your cake is beautiful.

 
At 5/6/07 20:06, Blogger ChrisB said...

my4kids and CC my mother has revised her opinion and has now decided that it's pretty good cake!!

 
At 6/6/07 00:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, good old Delia the egg nazi.

 
At 6/6/07 00:19, Blogger AfKaP said...

Oh my, I'm drowning in my own saliva here! I love carrot cake and it looks so good (but far too complicated to o me! ) I do love that it uses whole meal flour - THe denser, the better!

 
At 6/6/07 03:57, Blogger frannie said...

looks very yummy! I love the little carrot decorations on top!

 
At 6/6/07 04:27, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I love carrot cake, but not if I have to make it. I buy it from the store, much easier.

 
At 6/6/07 08:08, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT she will ever be remembered for that one!!

wendy it really is an easy recipe to make basically throw it in whisk and stir nothing to it -now I'm encouraging you to cook!!

frannie I've been busy giving it away to stop me eating it I'm so weak willed sometimes!!

emma what a pity you can't take it off my hands!

 
At 6/6/07 08:08, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. Yummo! I simply adore carrot cake. Next time I'm in Bristol (not sure when that will be, as I've never been there yet!) I'm going to come begging!

 
At 6/6/07 08:21, Blogger ChrisB said...

LMM I would be delighted to play the hostess and Bristol is worth a visit :)

 
At 6/6/07 10:55, Blogger Barbara said...

ooh I love carrot cake. I haven't made one in years.Not since I had a little food business and made one everyday.

 
At 6/6/07 11:33, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara this is the first time I've ever made one and I can't believe how simple it was; you are obviously an expert making them everyday; I have learnt something else about you - did you ever do a post about your food business, no wonder you are so keen on food and cooking; I'm sure you said 'amateur cook' in your profile!!

 
At 6/6/07 13:26, Blogger Beccy said...

I thought I recognised the recipe, I use that one too.

 
At 6/6/07 13:30, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy it's a good recipe; whose computer are you using?

 
At 7/6/07 01:51, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris - if you make the red velvet cake - prepare for something truly gorgeous. If you can't find a texas sheet cake recipe -- try the one at Pioneer Woman's website -- it's very much the same thing. And it's similar to Mississippi Mud Cake.

 
At 7/6/07 03:32, Blogger Barbara said...

Sometimes amateur cooks think they want to be in the food business, so they do , and then they hate it, 'cos it's not like cooking for love. I had a little lunch bar that was very successful, but too tiring even with three full time staff. After 4 months I sold it to a baker. The children were young and with early morning starts, (I had customers waiting for my blueberry muffins at 7AM), I was exhausted. I baked all my own cakes instead of buying in commercial, which was probably why it was so successful.

 
At 7/6/07 09:11, Blogger ChrisB said...

tiger lamb girl I have been googling these cakes and they look delicious but oh so full of calories. I will wait until beccy and the children visit and then try making one of them ( of course I will try a slice or two!!)

barbara I can see why it was such hard work, blueberry muffins yumm no wonder they queued. Homemade definitely wins hearts and stomachs!

 
At 7/6/07 13:40, Blogger Steffi said...

Your cake looks delicious!Thank you for your recipe!

 
At 8/6/07 14:39, Blogger Dea said...

That looks heavenly Chris! I have never made carrot cake... I used to think it was gross because of the carrots, but have since tried some and learned the error of my ways. Will definitely have to try it - especially that it's low fat! ;-) Thanks for sharing!

 
At 8/6/07 16:24, Blogger ChrisB said...

deborah, it's so moist, that's what I like about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home