Saturday, June 06, 2009

D- Day Anniversary

My eldest daughter was born on a very special day. At the time I don't think I was thinking about the families who had lost loved ones on that day back in 1944.
However, today thousands of veterans will be attending ceremonies across Normandy to mark the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings. We have much to be grateful for; all the brave soldiers who fought on that day and especially to those who never returned. So today we will remember and honour them.......
.
.
.
.
but I would also like everyone to spare a thought and wish my eldest daughter, Sam, a very Happy Birthday. She's had a tough year and I hope that things will continue to improve for her.

It's been many years since I've actually been part of Sam's birthday celebrations, but I always look back and remember some of the good times we had when she was growing up. Parties back in those days were very simple, as long as there was jelly, ice cream, plenty of sausages on sticks, crisps, chocolate biscuits and a cake children were very happy. Goody bags were a few sweets and maybe a small toy. We played traditional games, like pass the parcel, musical statues and pin the tail on the donkey. I think there was a year when I booked a magician which was quite popular at the time. It's much easier for summer birthdays where you can use the garden if the weather is fine. I do wonder if children really enjoy their parties or if the parents just think they do. I expect I'll be told!!


I know Sam is having a celebratory lunch with some of her friends but I do hope to have a brief chat with her sometime today.
Have a lovely day Sam.

Lots of Love
from Mum, Dad and Granny XXX

P.S. We are all looking forward to seeing you in August.

Archives:
2008: Happy Birthday Sam + Friday's 40-6 Entwined
2007: Witty Wednesday-8 Budweiser truck + Happy Birthday Sam

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 6/6/09 15:07, Blogger Sam said...

Thank you mum. Are you kidding about the parties?! I think I used to ache with excitement at the very thought of them.

I am going to get on with my chores and hope I migh be able to talk to you, but I have LOTS to do
xxx

 
At 6/6/09 15:49, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday Sam!

 
At 6/6/09 15:56, Anonymous Beckie said...

Happy Birthday, Sam!

 
At 6/6/09 16:17, Anonymous Kila said...

Happy Birthday Sam! And congrats to you, Mum! I know birthdays are a bigger deal to us parents than they are to the kids!

 
At 6/6/09 16:43, Blogger Pamela said...

did you ever sing to her:

Happy Birthday to you
You live in a Zoo
You look like a monkey
and you smell like one too


heh heh.

I guess that means no cake for me, huh?

 
At 6/6/09 18:03, Blogger Beccy said...

Well my kids had great fun at Mollie's party yesterday, Dillon even insisted on coming!

 
At 6/6/09 21:47, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam hope the luncheon is good and the bead demo.

Pamela I remember that one LOL.

Beccy I'm glad they had a great time.

 
At 6/6/09 21:50, Blogger ChrisB said...

Kila I hate it when parents try and outdo each other. It's often the simple enjoyments that produce the most fun.

 
At 7/6/09 23:42, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope Sam had an awesome birthday!

 
At 8/6/09 04:47, Blogger Amrita said...

Happy birthday Sam.

Chris the Shanghai pix are super

 

Post a Comment

<< Home