Thursday, May 15, 2008

Baked Butter Beans

Baked Butter Beans with Onions,Tomatoes and Parsley.


I haven't posted a recipe for a while so I thought I would show you a dish that I made last week. I copied it from a new cookery book that my friend, Tina, bought a couple of weeks back. I scribbled the recipe down, on a scrap of paper, as we had lunch and forgot about taking details of the book.

Recipe:
500g (1lb.2 oz) Dried butter beans (Lima Beans) soak overnight
1 bay leaf
2 small red onions (finely chopped)
2 celery sticks with leaves (chopped)
3 garlic cloves( finely chopped)
650g (1lb 7oz) Ripe Tomatoes (peeled and grated {I chopped mine}) or use tinned tomatoes
4 tblsp chopped parsley
3 tblsp breadcrumbs

Method:
Drain beans put in a saucepan with bay leaf cover with cold water bring to boil. Skim scum that rises. Lower heat and cook for 1.5 hours (until tender adding extra water as necessary){I found most of the skins came off the beans in the soaking and they did not take this long to cook}
Add salt towards end of cooking time.

Pre-heat oven 180 c (350 F/gas 4)

Drain beans keeping 375ml (1.5cups) coking water & put in a large baking dish.

Heat 2 tblsp oil in frying pan. Gently sauté onions until golden and softened-stir so they don't stick. Remove from heat and mix in bowl with celery, garlic, tomatoes, parsley and remaining olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Add reserve bean water, pour into beans and mix well.

Cover with foil and bake for 45 mins, then remove foil,stir and add extra water if drying out. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and return to oven for another 30 mins.

Beans should be tender on top & still with a little sauce. Serve warm with an extra drizzle of olive oil.

I actually has a small knob of cheese I wanted to use up so grated this on top (if you decide to do this add the cheese towards the end of coking, I overdid mine as you will see from the photo).

Next time I make this I intend to try adding some chopped bacon which I think would work well.


Archives:
2007: Bargain Price + Look what came in the post

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At 15/5/08 09:18, Blogger Barbara said...

hat looks delicious Chris. Just right for cold weather.

 
At 15/5/08 12:09, Blogger karisma said...

Looks very interesting! I have not seen beans like this before!

 
At 15/5/08 12:15, Blogger Steffi said...

Wow...Chris, that´s looks and sounds deliciouc!Thank you for your recipe!

 
At 15/5/08 12:35, Blogger frannie said...

it looks very yummy--- I'm sure that bacon would add a nice touch.

 
At 15/5/08 14:07, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Looks wonderful, but you lost me when you said "lima beans."

 
At 15/5/08 14:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't had lima beans since I was force to eat them as a kid...these look really good.

I'm going to try it...but not until the heat wave that's supposed to start today goes away!

 
At 15/5/08 15:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I am really hungry.

 
At 15/5/08 15:56, Blogger ChrisB said...

AC just another name for butter beans!

susan I never liked them as a child but I guess my tastes have changed!

 
At 15/5/08 16:11, Blogger Beccy said...

Not sure I'd like it but it looks tasty!

I made humus today, it's easy.

 
At 15/5/08 16:43, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy you could do post!

 
At 15/5/08 17:20, Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

That sounds really good! And thank you for including the 'American' measurements. I may have to try this one soon.

 
At 15/5/08 21:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks and sounds delicious. I would also add bacon:)!

Being Southern, I would also serve it with homemade cornbread:).

 
At 15/5/08 22:01, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

Yum, I've never heard of doing beans this way, but it certainly looks good!

Lisa

 
At 16/5/08 17:34, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

Ooh, I'm afraid of lima beans.

 
At 16/5/08 18:42, Blogger Zoomie said...

Reminds me of my mother's good friend, Carrie, who was from the 'way south U.S. She used to make butter bean sandwiches. The mind boggles.

 
At 16/5/08 21:49, Blogger Jennie said...

It looks really lovely! I shall have to start taking notes of your recipes because they always look fabulous!

 
At 16/5/08 21:55, Blogger aims said...

Could you use something other than lima beans? They just aren't my favorite.....

 
At 16/5/08 22:04, Blogger Alison said...

looks delicious...thanks for sharing.

 
At 16/5/08 22:17, Blogger ChrisB said...

aims I'm quite sure you could use other sorts of beans. I have to say the butter/lima beans are not necessary a favourite of mine, but I enjoy them once in a while :)

 
At 16/5/08 22:19, Blogger ChrisB said...

zoomie I would draw the line at butter bean sandwiches!

 
At 18/5/08 03:08, Blogger Unknown said...

Those look delicious but I don't really like Lima beans. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home