Monday, May 12, 2008

Fun Monday # 66 Who's a jerk??



Sauntering Saul is out host this week and this is what she says about our assignment:

I know we all try to be sweet and kind to people the majority of the time. But let's face it....we also know that sometimes we can be a big jerk. It could be that you experience road rage from time to time. Perhaps you empty the coffee pot at work some mornings and don't feel like taking the time to start a new pot for the next person. Or maybe you don't return phone calls on a timely basis when you know someone needs a response from you. Have you ever "accidentally" ruined a favorite shirt of your spouse just because you didn't care for it? Come on - it's confession time! List the small things you do that make you a jerk and elaborate just a bit on each one. Please tell me I'm not the only jerk around here!

I know I must have done some pretty dumb things in my life but I try to forget them which is why I had to enlist the help of those in the family who have a good memory for these types of things.........

Embee didn't come up with anything but then would he dare... he might risk not getting his dinner cooked, his laundry washed and ironed or the loan of my car!!!!!

I then had an email conversation with Sam

Her first reaction was "Mother! That's a horrible word that belongs nowhere near you".
PS - you are welcome to quote me on that! (isn't she sweet-she clearly loves her old mum!)

Me~You are very sweet to say that but 'What about when I wouldn't let you take Art A level?'

Her~you weren't being a jerk then - just an idiot

Me~Isn't that the same thing?

Her~actually in retrospect you were very smart because it made me more determined to prove you wrong. But in reality it would really have been useful for me to have an art education - something I will never have!

So Folks was I a 'jerk' for preventing my daughter getting the art education she wanted. In my defense I was not saying no art per se, I suggested Art as an extra at night school~ what I did not know was they would not allow anyone still at school( under 18) to attend night school (personally I think who ever made that rule was the real jerk~ what do you think?)

Beccy did not responded to my email but she phoned me this morning and I asked her what she could recall. At first she couldn't think of anything then suddenly she remembered that I would not let her go to see ET at the age of eleven. Apparently all her friends had seen it and she pretended that she didn't want to see it to save face.
I don't actually remember this but how stupid of me what was I thinking~did I really do that!!~ yes jerk with a capital 'J'.

NOW we do have another 'jerk' in the house I wonder who it was who took my blueberries to work instead of his blackberries!!!!!!

Now I'm off to visit you all.....

Archives:
2007: Chocolate Muffins

Labels: ,

38 Comments:

At 12/5/08 11:09, Blogger Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Isn't it nice to have children to remind you of those times!!?

 
At 12/5/08 11:15, Blogger Celeste said...

I'm not certain that the constraints that a parent places on their children makes them a jerk -- the parental role is a hard one.

Now the berry switch.....that's a different story.

 
At 12/5/08 11:40, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

I love Sam's comment.

Great Fun Monday.

 
At 12/5/08 12:55, Blogger FH said...

That is scary!! Hope my kids don't remember all the "jerk" things I am doing or did already!! ;D
They love you nevertheless. We al love our moms too inspite of all the stuff they did to us after all!:)
Happy Monday!

 
At 12/5/08 13:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great dialogue between you and the kiddos. Being a jerk and a good parent can sometimes become "cornfoosed" the in the eyes of children.
Stealing someone's berries? No cornfoosion there. That's being a sneaky jerk.

 
At 12/5/08 13:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what you had a against ET? I remember being banned form seeing Jaws, which was quite smart as after I did see it I wouldn't get in the sea for years - LOL.
I think your pretty low on the jerkishness level :)

 
At 12/5/08 13:33, Blogger SwampAngel65 said...

Sounds like your jerkiness was well intended and part of what a Mom has to do. You were brave, though, for asking your kids. My 19 yr. old probably would've given me a novel of examples of my jerkdom if I'd asked him!

 
At 12/5/08 13:47, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

Wow, doesn't sound like jerk things to me!
(Now wondering what Megan and Patrick will think when they're older.)


Lisa

 
At 12/5/08 14:09, Blogger Hula Girl at Heart said...

My child thinks I'm a jerk because I wouldn't buy her a $5 box of petit fours at Cracker Barrel Saturday. Oh well, she'll get over it...when she's about 30.

 
At 12/5/08 14:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This proves to me you're NOT a jerk :)! No surprises there :).

 
At 12/5/08 14:49, Blogger Peter said...

I would not have dared ask my children for examples Chris.

 
At 12/5/08 15:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were only being a mom! I expect the full berry scoop tomorrow.

 
At 12/5/08 15:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - at least you never popped their balloons. ha ha

 
At 12/5/08 15:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To whom it interests, I get up at 06.00 coleect the food that I have made the night before and travel to work. I do this every morning except holidays. I do not consider one mistake is a jerkable offence. Love EmBee

 
At 12/5/08 15:50, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

If that's the closest to jekdom you come, I'm impressed.

 
At 12/5/08 16:01, Blogger Beccy said...

You failed to mention that although you wouldn't let me watch ET you bought me the book and allowed me to read it...I still wonder why?

 
At 12/5/08 16:58, Blogger Sam said...

Mum wouldn't let us see jaws either (not for the scariness but for the simple fact there was some mild nudity at the start). Neither would she let me see Grease.
Hey mum - I said you could quote me on the first email, I wasn't so sure about the others.
You aren't a jerk. Neither is dad. If you are a jerk, you know it. Dad probably took the wrong berries by accident. If he did it on purpose (which I doubt) only then he would be a jerk.

As for not letting me do the art thing. You weren't a jerk - but simply misinformed and javascript:void(0)unreasonable in assuming that chemistry would be more useful to my life than art would be. Maybe by now you know that everyone needs a little art in their life.

love you xxx

 
At 12/5/08 17:25, Blogger j said...

I think YOU need to be called Sister Mary Sunshine, instead of me. You had to DIG DEEP to find some jerkiness and it was questionable at that.

I wish that my mom and I had email conversations. She is computer phobic. But the idea of having whole conversations with her at the end of my fingertips is quite lovely.

Be blessed.

Jennifer

 
At 12/5/08 17:25, Blogger kitten said...

I'm like you, this fun Monday didn't really apply. We just use a little sarcasm in our family as playing. If I have something ugly, I usually keep it to myself or just tell that person to leave me alone.

 
At 12/5/08 17:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Celeste, I think when it comes to your kids, you get a pass for some of the things you do or say because you are really being a parent and not a jerk

 
At 12/5/08 18:38, Blogger storyteller said...

Excellent idea (consulting others) … wish I’d thought of it, yet it didn’t yield as much material as expected … so maybe not. Actually Molly & Ms. Kitty would have ‘stories’ I’m sure … (and probably my friends & family members too) … certainly former students. Perhaps it’s a good thing I let my fingers type poetically after all ;--)
Sorry about your missing blueberries.
Hugs and blessings,

 
At 12/5/08 18:50, Blogger Sam said...

Actually - on second thoughts - it wasn't art a level I wanted to take - just a simple o level would have been nice

 
At 12/5/08 19:02, Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

Ahhh, your kids sound fab, and I bet you had a reason for the ET thing. :D Oh, and glad you had a nice time on your blog meet. It's so good to meet other bloggers isn't it. :D

 
At 12/5/08 19:35, Blogger Sayre said...

Those "Mommy-Jerk" moments certainly have a way of coming back to haunt you. Ghosts of past jerk-ness are sure to haunt me soon!

 
At 12/5/08 20:02, Blogger Faye said...

Brave woman to actually solicit feedback from family members on your level of jerkiness! Actually, with daughter and art studies sounds like you were just challenging her to make the right decision--not being a jerk.

P.S. my slightly tardy FM post is now up. Yes, I'm a jerk to make people check back twice!

 
At 12/5/08 20:59, Blogger Alison said...

too funny Chris!! I asked my husband and he wisely declined to comment also!!

 
At 12/5/08 21:49, Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

This confirms it: You're not a jerk. But you are an angel.

My mom not only made me go see E.T. when I really didn't want to, but she then had the nerve to get on me because I didn't cry when I saw it.

 
At 12/5/08 23:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

was the only Movie our mom has ever taken us too and she got a speeding ticket on the way there...so she was mad the whole time and swore she'd never take us again...she didn't!!
I didn't have time to do fun momnday!!

 
At 13/5/08 00:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure if I would define you as a jerk. Sometimes the adult wins no matter what anyone else wants.

 
At 13/5/08 02:25, Blogger Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

How sweet of your to ask your children...and what they've recall are really minor things!

Happy Fun Monday!

 
At 13/5/08 02:45, Blogger IamwhoIam said...

Oh your family is just so sweet, kinda like Kayro Syrup. ;-)

 
At 13/5/08 06:39, Blogger Pamela said...

oh heavens... I don't even want to think of all the mistakes I made with my children. sigh.

 
At 13/5/08 08:39, Blogger ChrisB said...

Thank you all for the comments~just so you know my blueberries are back in the fridge so I'll withdraw my last 'jerk remark' about the nameless one LOL!!

 
At 13/5/08 12:32, Blogger frannie said...

you, a jerk???

never! :)

 
At 14/5/08 00:17, Blogger Patience-please said...

Oh my. I would not ask my son that question. Not in this lifetime!

 
At 14/5/08 00:26, Blogger Melanie said...

Wow- you must be pretty sweet if that is all they could think of!

Our Happy Happenings

 
At 14/5/08 06:54, Blogger my4kids said...

You are obviously not much of a jerk! That is a good thing though.

 
At 14/5/08 17:28, Blogger Unknown said...

You must be the nicest person I know! Neither one of those things is that bad. But uh-oh that berry stealer better watch out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home