Thursday, August 30, 2007

Pigeon Post

I won a prize from John and I'm not sure if it was beccy's comment........

"That's a shame the smoked ferret nostrils sound quite tempting!"

that prompted Jonhn to send us this little delicacy!!
What you don't know !!
Oh some of you have worked it out!!
Yes that's right it is a smoked pigeon breast. I knew what to expect so I was anxiously awaiting the arrival and wondering what it would taste like. The last time I had been close to a cooked pigeon was when my brother was a teenager and he had potted one with his air rifle. He had wanted my mother to cook it but when she refused and he took it to my granny who naturally obliged!

I was full of trepidation as I opened the package and a smoked gamey whiff hit my olfactory organ. I then promtly did the bloggy thing and took a photo. We tried it that evening, when Embee got in from work and did we like it...........

Sorry John... Not a lot

It was very chewy (outside a bit rubbery) and Embee commented the taste was a bit liked smoked salmon and I could see what he meant. If I ever see it on a menu I would not be curious enough to order.

John THANK YOU I really appreciate the thought, it was great fun, but next time I win one of your prizes I'll have something other than smoked pigeon!!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 30/8/07 10:18, Blogger Beccy said...

Ooooh, I'm waiting for mine...feeling a bit nervous now.

 
At 30/8/07 11:18, Blogger theotherbear said...

eeek. sort of looks like some kind of internal organ. what a nice thought though!

 
At 30/8/07 11:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have pooped on it. At least then you would have got something out of it, even if it was just revenge.

 
At 30/8/07 12:32, Blogger la bellina mammina said...

thought it was some kind of an internal organ too! Duh!

 
At 30/8/07 14:16, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think you've put me off my breakfast.

 
At 30/8/07 15:19, Blogger Sam said...

i bet if uoi shred it up an mput it in a potatosalad with lots of mayonnaise and some crunch veggies it won't be so bad.

 
At 30/8/07 15:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but that totally does not look like any roasted meat I've ever seen unless of course it's after it's passed through the digestive system!

 
At 30/8/07 15:58, Blogger Unknown said...

Never mind Chris.

Nikki, it's smoked, not roasted.

 
At 30/8/07 16:35, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam I should probably have asked you for serving ideas first. I couldn't think beyond serve with salad.

john I'm really sorry we didn't really like it but I'm glad you gave me the opportunity to try a new food experience, so thank you.

 
At 30/8/07 17:38, Blogger Tiggerlane said...

I'm retching, just reading this...

I don't like duck or goose or ANYTHING remotely gamey!

You are quite brave.

 
At 30/8/07 22:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AT first glance, I thought the picture was of some mutated slug.

 
At 30/8/07 22:17, Blogger katy said...

never tried it, but i dont like smoked food, but i would try it as long as i didn't have to kill it, pluck it or cook it!

 
At 30/8/07 22:52, Blogger headless chicken said...

That looks truly vile!

 
At 31/8/07 06:15, Blogger Beckie said...

Unique prize, eh?

 
At 31/8/07 06:55, Blogger Beckie said...

I almost forgot...check out my latest post - there is something there for you.

 
At 31/8/07 08:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people (no names mentioned of course) just don't know what what good food is these days! If you want a REAL treat Chris I'll send you some rancid fox steak cooked in the French manner. My daughter in France says it tastes beautiful after it's been hanging in the outhouse for a couple of months.

JohnG gave me some pigeon to try. I thought it was great (see my guest post on his blog).

P.S. Do you want the whole fox, of just a small bit?

 
At 31/8/07 10:14, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hi Keith I read the guest post (I feel bad not really liking the smoked pigeon and me being a country girl (originally)!! Rancid fox steak cooked in the French manner- I know I'm a spoil sport but I'll pass on this one hehe!!!

beckie thank you; you've made my day :) :)

 
At 31/8/07 13:19, Blogger sallywrites said...

I quite like game. Various peole have given it to us over the eyars. But I do always worry that i will break a tooth on a piece of shot. tAht puts me off a bit!!

 
At 1/9/07 06:24, Blogger Pamela said...

no way... really? a pigeon breast.... oh cooo cooo cooo the poor birdie
&:

 
At 1/9/07 11:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sally - There is no 'shot' in these pigeons, I do believe that 'The Poacher' who brings them to the pub only uses a catapult, and then he only aims at the head!

Seriously, though, all the shot is removed before cooking. There may be traces of lead left, but John and me are already brain-damaged so it wouldn't make any difference to us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home