Thursday, August 23, 2007

CN Tower and Toronto Island

The time has been slipping by and I suddenly realised I had this half written post about my jaunt up the CN Tower and my visit to Toronto Island. On the second attempt we we made it up the Tower. The first day we tried but by the time we had driven into the city visibility was so poor we realised it was a no go. We had a drive around with my friend showing us some of the landmarks such as the Parliament Building. We saw the designer shops on Bloor Street and drove down Yonge Street which is the city's longest street. Here we saw the famous Sam Sam sign which was saved from being sold and is now a Heritage sign and we decided to do a little shopping in the Eaton Centre which was fun. I was pleased to find an Abercrombie and Fitch, albeit a very small outlet but I was then disappointed that they did not have a children's section. Although I was assured they planned to open one next year. When the guy realised I was from England we then had a long conversation about the time he had spent in London.
The CN Tower is very impressive and I'm sure that on a clear day the views are spectacular. However, visibility was still not that brilliant when we went back for our second attempt, but we couldn't put if off any longer as time was running out. My photos are therefore not that good.
 
Posted by Picasa
You will see that I did stand on the glass floor (my head has been chopped in the collage), I really did feel jittery about it but I was determinded to it (my friends did not join me) and I even took a photo looking down. Not bad for someone who really doesn't like heights!! One of the guides was jumping up and down to show just how safe it was and that's when I beat a hasty retreat!
 
Posted by Picasa
The trip over to the islands was perfect. The weather on that day (last full day before returning home) was very sunny, so perfect. The short ferry ride took us to over to Central Island. We decided to hire a bike and see a bit of the island (hard work but fun), seeing us three trundling around certainly amused some of the children who were yelling to their parents 'look at those old grannies'. My friend who is the same age as my daughter was not amused!! There are a lot of unusual sculptures dotted around and the river and the gardens are very pretty. There were not many people sitting on the sandy shore and it was very peaceful just enjoying the view across the lake.
My first taste of Canada has certainly made me realise I would like to see a lot more of the country and we have been invited back so who knows I may yet get to Vancouver and I do fancy seeing the Rockies so I'd better get saving!

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At 23/8/07 12:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 23/8/07 12:37, Blogger Beccy said...

Sounds like a great time, so is the CN Tower as tall as the Empire State building?

 
At 23/8/07 14:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glass floor?!?! I would have tossed my lunch for sure.

 
At 23/8/07 15:05, Blogger Sabrina said...

Just your pics of the glass floor started to make me queasy. . .good for you for standing on it despite your fear! It looks so nice!!!

 
At 23/8/07 15:07, Blogger FH said...

Photos are great.Tower was closed when we were there, couldn't go up.Looks gorgeous from the top:))

 
At 23/8/07 16:48, Blogger my4kids said...

my palms were sweating just reading about that glass floor!!!

 
At 23/8/07 16:53, Blogger ChrisB said...

I can tell you all, it did take a lot of courage, a lady already standing on it told me to hold her hand and this helped. My head said it had to be safe but then a little voice also said but there is always the freak accident; now I've done it I'm thinking why did I worry!

 
At 23/8/07 17:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know if i could have handled the glass floor, it looks like a wonderful time though!!

 
At 23/8/07 17:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are much braver than enidd, chris. she'd never have done it.

 
At 23/8/07 18:07, Blogger Unknown said...

Great Chris! My Dad says Vancouver is the most beautiful place on earth!

 
At 23/8/07 20:37, Blogger frannie said...

just wanted to let you know that the post above from Terri is actually me... I just realized I forgot to sign out after I did her blog! oopps!

 
At 23/8/07 21:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I think I'd only go up there on a complete non-windy day!

 
At 24/8/07 00:48, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yonge St goes on well past Toronto -- to North Bay at least and some would argue, much further: Globe and Mail article.

 
At 24/8/07 06:54, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

They say Yonge Street is actually the longest street in the world. And to Beccy, yes it is taller.

Great pictures! I hope you do make it out west one day. Our A&F is quite large!

 
At 24/8/07 07:42, Blogger ChrisB said...

AC thanks for that link it made interesting reading and it was nice to see some of the old photos. I see the street was named after Sir George Yonge, the British Secretary of War!!

Beccy currently it's the tallest building in the world just over 1,815 ft.

emma I fancy a trip to your shopping mall!!

 
At 24/8/07 08:07, Blogger katy said...

thats one place on my to visit list. we are going to America in feb and will be going to the new 'sky walker' in the grang cannyon, mmm will i be able to stand on it!
great photos thanks

 
At 24/8/07 09:32, Blogger ChrisB said...

her indoors I did a helicopter ride over the grand canyon from Las Vagas a few years back but I also quite fancy seeing the view from the sky walker. Where else are you visiting??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home