Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Wookey Hole Caves...

It was a very hot day when we went to Wookey Hole Caves last week. It is many years since my last visit (probably about 30 years ago as a birthday treat for Sam). If you are interested you will find the legend of the Witch and all the attractions at Wookey Hole through the link. You are allowed to take photos in the caves but not use a flash so I didn't get many good shots but this will give you an idea. There are several places in the caves where you have to stoop to get into the next cavern. The underground river is amazing and this is an area where people go pot holing. The temperature in the caves is a constant 11C and conseqently it's a very good place to mature cheese as you can see from this photo. You can read more here. I can tell you the smelly sock cheesy odour was very strong!
After leaving the caves you walk down by a stream and pass the Fairy Garden which is very pretty.





In Dinosaur Valley there were too many animals to photograph but they came complete with audio sound (try the link) much to the delight of the small children. See if you can spot the error in this photo!!
There was one of us who found it much tooo hot and she had to go back to her roots!!!!
This is Ben in the mirror maze just look at that cute expression!
There is plenty to entertain the children for example seeing how paper is made in the traditional way and playing on old fashioned slot machines (we did not) in the Victorian Arcade. Like all these places everything is designed to help you part with your money. I enjoyed the day and would say it's well worth a visit but on balance, I think The Cheddar Gorge and those caves are more spectacular. If anyone has visited these West Country attractions what do you think??

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

At 14/8/07 13:18, Blogger Beccy said...

OK so you've stolen two post ideas for me. Wookey hole and the mistake!!! I thought you were letting me use that one. Humphhh (walks off in a sulk)!

 
At 14/8/07 13:51, Blogger Jill said...

i dont get it. what's the mistake? i mean i dont see a gorilla as a dinosaur, but i could be taking it out of context as well...

 
At 14/8/07 13:52, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, places like this are very good at separating us from our money. But it seems as though you had a very good time.

 
At 14/8/07 14:21, Blogger FH said...

OMG!!! Look at Beccy in all her native glory!!;D
Looks like a great trip for them, loved the pics.

 
At 14/8/07 15:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cave pictures are gorgeous!! It looks like you had a great time with your family.

 
At 14/8/07 15:49, Blogger Sam said...

ha ha ha ha ha - I am glad you are getting used to photoshop! That one of Rebecca is hilarious. I love Wookey Hole. It's a shame the outdoor pool isnt still there. I think that particular birthday you are talking of was a little more than 30 years ago. Do you still have the cute pic of me with the metal hoop and ball that Vanessa Rudge gave me on that day?

 
At 14/8/07 16:04, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy oh you can use it and your version of WH will be different to mine xx

lil mouse maybe I'll leave it for beccy to post about!!

AC it's funny how places are never quite as you remember them (looking through rose coloured glasses comes to mind)!!

asha & nikki yep we had a good time :)

sam I don't recall the pool nor that photo. I have one of you all sitting on the grass eating a picnic!
I had a little help from Dillon (this was his lesson to show me)!!

 
At 14/8/07 16:12, Blogger Steffi said...

Looks like a great trip!I like your pictures!You have a really nice family!

 
At 14/8/07 18:00, Blogger Unknown said...

It's changed a lot since I last visited! Lovely pics.

 
At 14/8/07 18:06, Blogger frannie said...

one of the gorilla's teeth is broken-- is that the mistake? I doubt it, but that's all I came up with.

and Beccy-- I thought you were more modest than that!

 
At 14/8/07 18:06, Blogger Beckie said...

I'm not getting the photo mistake either, but maybe it is because of the tears in my eyes from laughing at the picture of Beccy! I did a double take on that one!

 
At 14/8/07 18:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture of Beccy is a RIOT! hee hee.

Okay, I read the link about the Wookey Witch - I feel sorry for her - she was probably just some little crazy old lady who wanted to be left alone and the villagers sent a monk after her. I'd have run too.

 
At 14/8/07 19:54, Blogger ChrisB said...

steffia day out is always fun with the family

john when did you visit last?

frannie & beckie I think Beccy is going to do aapost so l'll leave it to her!

karmyn I couldn't resist the beccy pic!! They found her bones just an eccentric old woman classed a witch!!

 
At 14/8/07 21:16, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris, About 30 years ago!!

 
At 14/8/07 22:26, Blogger ChrisB said...

john so that's around the time I was last there and yes lots of changes. I suppose they need to keep the public interested to keep the money pouring in!!

 
At 14/8/07 23:15, Blogger Barbara said...

I don't see the mistake unless it is that the ape is not a dinosaur.

 
At 14/8/07 23:23, Blogger Barbara said...

Or does it have four fingers and a thumb? It's a little hard to see.

 
At 15/8/07 07:07, Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Great pics...what a lovely place! The kids looked like they enjoyed themselves - especially Ben!!

 
At 15/8/07 08:56, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara all will be revealed soon!

la bellina mammina as you can imagine ben loved playing a game where he had to shoot objects with a watergun, luckily for us he couldn't turn and shoot behind where we were stood!!!!

 
At 15/8/07 17:40, Blogger AfKaP said...

I love caves! The photos are great and I want to know the mistake too!

 
At 15/8/07 20:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the gardens beatiful!!

 
At 16/8/07 13:34, Blogger ChrisB said...

TO FIND THE MISTAKE YOU WOULD HAVE NEEDED TO CLICK AND ENLARGE THE PHOTO- IF YOU VISIT BECCY TODAY YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWER...

 
At 20/8/07 23:24, Blogger ~ej said...

lol, i love the pic of beccy...
looks like a fun day, despite the heat! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home