Monday, August 06, 2007

Fun Monday# 28


Apologies to those who feel they have read this before that's because you have!!
If I wear an apron (which I don't that often) I mainly use the OXO one (can't remember if this was a free gift or cheap offer), the plastic Mrs Beeton's apron was a present back in the 80's and has been well used over the years. The red one with Swanage on belonged to my granny and she went there every year for a holiday. The blue one belonged to my MIL and 'the chef' to Embee's aunt, so I keep them for sentimental reasons. The little turquoise one was made by daughter Sam mostly by hand-not sure how old she was at the time. So that one is a real treasure.
When I wrote about my aprons last time Beccy wanted to know why I hadn't shown her favourite pink and purple one. So although there is nothing remotely interesting about it I'm showing it just for Beccy. I also found this rather tacky looking plastic Christmas apron in my drawer. It's still in the packet and I think it was another free gift. Now this could well become a future prize if I could only think up a competition !!!
As you can see I have a large collection of tea towels and the majority of these are unused. The dishwasher dries most things and I tend to use linen glass towels for everything else rather than the decorative tea towels. They sit in a drawer and never see the light of day. In fact until I came to take the photos for this post I had forgotten about half of them and the stories of how I came by them.
 
Posted by Picasa

The oldest ones are the set of three diffent back coloured grounds with the Koala bears. My ex-hubby brought these back from Australia in about 1964 and when he left they went into the drawer. In 1973 I went on a trip to the West Indies (ex-husband was Merchant Navy Officer and wives could take the occassional trip). We were quite poor at the time and I was wondering what I could buy to take home as a token present for friends. What did my ex find among the cargo (but not on the ship's manifest), a pack of a dozen tea towels (The one from St Vincent and the Grenadine Islands) so my present problem was solved! I kept this one as a souvenir of having visited some beautiful places long before they became really popular tourist destinations.

The oxo tea towel matches the apron and it was a free gift. The calorie one I'm racking my brain to remember where that came from but it's a useful reference. No guesses as to what do you give someone who loves tennis!! I love the Rudyard Kipling poem 'If' so know exactly where I can find the text if I need it.
Bath is a beautiful city about 12 miles from where I live and this tea towel was a present, as was the one from Osborne House.
The field flowers I keep for reference, well you never know when you might be asked by the grandchildren! The cross stitch and the Rockingham forest are of no significance, they were left behind by a tenant and I just put them in to make up the numbers for the collage (thank you Beccy- can't do it on my imac)!!

My mother's parents lived in Nettlebed (Oxfordshire) and I was born not far from there. A few years ago my brother took my mother back for a visit and she came home with tea towels as a reminder. I still have very vivid memories of my grandparents small holding which was in the middle of a wood where he kept pigs, chickens and fruit in the orchard. They went to look for the cottage and found the place where it once stood.

The tea towel with 'gaffer' was a Tetley tea promotion, I have some of the little figures and pottery houses. You never know they may become collectables in the future!!

I've rambled on for quite long enough!

There are a lot of entries again this week so a big thank you to everyone for supporting me. I'm putting up the list of participants under a separate post.

Labels: , ,

27 Comments:

At 5/8/07 23:41, Blogger Beckie said...

I haven't done my Fun Monday yet this week. Your tea towels reminded me of some stuff that I should go look for before I do my post.

Great collection! I am always keeping stuff because I am just sure that it is going to be worth something or a collectable someday.

 
At 5/8/07 23:51, Blogger ChrisB said...

beckie I thought as I was hosting I'd better get mine up early.

 
At 5/8/07 23:55, Blogger willowtree said...

My mother had a great tea-towel collection, and she would never used any of them, she used to say she wanted to be buried with them.

That second tea-towel in your collage doesn't qualify, it's actually a Bath towel!

 
At 6/8/07 00:04, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT I don't think I would go quite that far!! bath towel haha good one!

 
At 6/8/07 00:41, Blogger Kila said...

Very interesting. I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life and until now hadn't heard of "tea towels". Sorry, I don't have any aprons, either! But I much enjoyed your post!

 
At 6/8/07 02:38, Blogger Dallas said...

Love your collection of tea towels. And I think my favorite of your aprons is the blue one, but they all seem really special with the memories they give you.

 
At 6/8/07 04:21, Blogger theotherbear said...

Gee I use mine to dry dishes with. Sometimes, when they don't drip dry, and still don't have that many tea towels. I'm trying to find an apron to post. I thought you just used your clothes to wipe your hands on.
Anyone hosting week after next yet?

 
At 6/8/07 04:59, Blogger Molly said...

Chris thank you for hosting this week's Fun Monday. I enjoyed reading about and seeing both your aprons and the lovely tea towels. As usual, composing my Fun Monday post brought back some fond memories.

 
At 6/8/07 05:26, Blogger katy said...

wow a Mrs Beeton apron, that is about the only cook book i own, my mum got it me when i got married!
love, love the Tetley Tea tea towels, try saying that fast! I have got the little men too!
thank you

 
At 6/8/07 07:28, Blogger Pamela said...

I recall my mom's were made out of flour sacks, so you couldn't call them tea towels.

I don't have anything but terry dish towels and they are all well used and abused.

Your collection is a hoot! You had me giggling about the christmas one.

 
At 6/8/07 09:24, Blogger Beccy said...

You have more decorative tea towels than I have plain tea towels!

Why doesn't that apron look as pretty as I remembered as a child?

 
At 6/8/07 09:30, Blogger Steffi said...

Very interesting collection of your tea towels.I like it!

 
At 6/8/07 12:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know when you have the contest for that apron!
You have such a lovely collection! I love all of them.

 
At 6/8/07 14:16, Blogger Debs said...

I love your all your towels and aprons. :) Great post.

 
At 6/8/07 15:04, Blogger Jenni said...

I like the Beeton's and Cooky aprons best. Your tea towels remind me that I do have one more tea towel. We bought it in Scotland on our honeymoon. It has roses and tartan and "My Love Is Like a Red, Red Rose" on it. I wish I had bought the tea towel with Scottish wildflowers as well.

 
At 6/8/07 15:10, Blogger Karina said...

What a great collection of tea towels and aprons! Makes me want to go out and buy some prettier items for my kitchen!

 
At 6/8/07 15:15, Blogger Kaytabug said...

I love seeing the difference in tea towels. Your aprons are lovely! Thank you for coming up with this idea, I love aprons...I was looking forward to seeing loads of aprons and hardly anyone has any :( I'm not through the entire list yet. I don't wear mine every time I'm in the kitchen but I need to as I am a wiper, and a very messy cook!

 
At 6/8/07 15:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a great tea towel collection! They are so pretty.

 
At 6/8/07 15:40, Blogger AfKaP said...

Great tea Towels. I love the tea towels in Austrlia full of colorful birds, exotic animals and gorgeous wildflowers! I bought a bunch for gifts and then couldn't bear to part with them. For a while I hung them on the kitchen cabinets to add color to my kitchen. I also adore the old ones form the 50s that peoplke used to buy in the states for souvenirs. I have some aprons but htey are in the bottom of a drawer soemwhere. They are frilly silly things that I biought second hand as curiosities and don't match my pseronality at all.

 
At 6/8/07 16:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the most colorful collection of tea-towels I've ever seen. One thing I'm finding in common about these posts, most of the tea towels aren't used. Just saved. I will at some point, post a few of mine for you to see. Will have to include the story of my friend's 2 year old twins who decorated each other with Hershey syrup, then cleaned up their mess with her great-grandmother's antique tea towels.
Thanks for hosting today. Great topic just wish I had been home long enough to follow your instructions.

 
At 6/8/07 18:00, Blogger ChrisB said...

kila there are a lot of people who don't wear aprons- not like us messy cooks!!

sallad.net that blue one with Dutch scenes is lovely but it doesn't give much protection!!

theotherbear I am not aware of anyone hosting for the week after next- I suggest you let Beckie know if you are volunteering (and I hope you are!) and she will let everyone know :)

mjd I'm always amazed at how these topics evoke memories-I think that's why I enjoy them so much!!

her indoors I once had a Mrs Beeton cookbook but somehow it got lost. I was looking for it not long ago - mind I do have over 80 cook books but that won't interest a non cook !!

pamela I was brought up to make use of everything and I still cut up and make dusters out of old clothes!

beccy well that's why I didn't include it the first time around!!

steffi I expect you make all your own aprons!!

min I will have to think up something closer to christmas !!

debs thank you.

jenni I htink it's lovely that you have a tea towel from scotland :)

karina you should go and treat yourself:)

katabug now a lot of us are owning up to being messy cooks no wonder we have things in common!!

nikki thanks

wendy No I don't see you as a frilly person- something bold and striking that makes a statement !!

swampy Ah but your topic was also fun :)

 
At 6/8/07 18:18, Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Gah, I have no aprons and no tea towels!!

I swear I cook.

 
At 6/8/07 18:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Mrs. Beeton's apron. It is so classic looking.

You have a fine selection of tea towels from your travels. I have bought those before, and given them as gifts, and don't actually have any of my own. There is a Scottish fish and chip place in town that has decorated all the walls with towels like that, most are from Scotland and countries around. It is fascinating to sit and look at them all.

Thanks for hosting Fun Monday.

 
At 6/8/07 18:44, Blogger ChrisB said...

rachel now you know what to put on your Christmas list!!

dawn the scottish fish and chip shop sound fascinating- do the customers bring in tea towels for display???

 
At 6/8/07 19:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute!!

 
At 6/8/07 23:40, Blogger Sabrina said...

What a fun hostess you are! Great topic! Enjoyed your selections. ..

 
At 7/8/07 19:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, I LOVE the Kipling poem, too :)... What a handy way to keep it nearby.

Glad you added a bit to your previous post, and I have to say, Beccy's apron was dreadful (ha!) but fun to see. Should I have told you that?

I'm stalling because it's time for me to take a few pictures and upload them to get my post completed...I'm always so slow getting back into the groove of things when I've been out of town.

From the looks of things, people had fun with this Fun Monday (as usual :) ).


Thanks for hosting especially since you had loved ones arriving soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home