Friday, August 17, 2007

Summer in the early 50's

I'm going down memory lane today. I have been thinking how lucky children are these days as for most, holidays are the norm. When I was growing up in the late 40's and 50's life was very different. There was very little money and our 'holiday' was a day out with my parents and grandparents. I remember my gran used to hire a taxi and take us to a place called Purton which was only a few miles from home and is on the canal that goes from Sharpness to Gloucester. It's also near the River Severn but to my brother and me it could have been a million miles away and it was exciting to go by taxi as we didn't have a car. My father always made a fire and cooked onions and sausages long before fancy outdoor BBQ's became fashionable. We played cricket and walked by the canal and to be honest I don't really remember all the detail just the images of happy family times. The only problem I recall was one year it poured with rain and we were then stuck under a makeshift tarpaulin (thunder and lightening) because gran had instructed Percy Stump the taxi driver not to come back before time. Now that is one time it would have been good if mobile phones had been available back then!!
I'll leave you with a couple of photos:
This is my gran with my mother and us kids and my uncle Don. Oh the dog is Titch!!
My dad is in this photo and that's my gramp in the background. No one had taught me to sit in a ladylike manner and my knickers are showing-I thought I would get that in before anyone mentioned it!!!
I wouldn't necessarily want to turn the clock back but life was far less complicated in those days, there was very little violent crime (something that has not changed for the better!), you could safely leave your windows and doors unlocked without fear of burgulary and the community supported each other.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 17/8/07 13:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your knickers are showing.

 
At 17/8/07 13:22, Blogger Beccy said...

Uncle David looks so like your father.

 
At 17/8/07 13:46, Blogger ChrisB said...

swampy - laughing-I knew that comment would be like 'red rag' for someone :)

beccy it's just like looking at my dad, particularly when they were both 40-50's. But I guess if my dad had lived beyond 50 David would look like him now :)

 
At 17/8/07 16:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. Sometimes I wish for simpler times. My cell phone and internet can be pains sometimes.

 
At 17/8/07 17:10, Blogger Jill said...

awesome, just awesome. great pics. oh for the simpler times..

 
At 17/8/07 17:12, Blogger Unknown said...

Which one's Beccy?

*I'm dead now!*

 
At 17/8/07 17:36, Blogger AfKaP said...

You look adorable and are completely in style with what all the hot actresses do in posing (both back then and today!!) Sorry about the street clear cautions - soon you won't even notice them you'll be so used to them but tourists will always wonder why there are all those words in the street. In Japan I was amazed by the clutter of wires in front of the mountains and most beautiful monuments - I assume that the locals don't even notice.

 
At 17/8/07 20:14, Blogger Sam said...

i thought the exact same things but Beccy and swamp witch already made the comments

 
At 18/8/07 03:16, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We had no car either, but there were a few bus trips to places not too far away. I thought it was fine.

 
At 18/8/07 07:58, Blogger ChrisB said...

wendy why do we have to grow up!!

AC where I lived there was only one bus route (hourly) into the a couple of the towns.

john you might be lucky if she doesn't read the comment!!

lil mouse much less complicated but not so good for women!!

nikki the internet is a blessing and a bane!!

 
At 18/8/07 12:20, Blogger Steffi said...

Very nice picture of good memories.I like to see older pictures too.

 
At 18/8/07 15:09, Blogger Molly said...

Your memories and pictures are sweet. As we did not have a car either, I can appreciate the excitement of riding in a taxi. Although there were different problems in the fifties, the relative freedom from the threat of violence was wonderful. We left our house unlocked except at night. As a young child, I rode the bus alone and unattended downtown to swimming lessons and choir practice. Some things were indeed simpler.

 
At 19/8/07 05:33, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I think there was so much more appreciation for things back then. We expect too much these days I think. Love the pictures!

 
At 19/8/07 07:27, Blogger Pamela said...

fun pictures from the golden days.

Same with my family and vacations.
We'd pack a picnic lunch (chicken, potato salad and baked beans) and drive up to THE WOMEN'S FEDERATED FOREST park that was located next to a beautiful cold and rushing river.

Mom was always scared we'd fall in.

Dad was ready to go home as soon as he finished eating.

 
At 20/8/07 23:19, Blogger ~ej said...

the photos and descriptions are lovely! it's fun reading about this and seeing your old photos....and lol, i have a photo of my mom with her knickers showing sitting on her dad's lap at the beach when she was about 7 :) your pic reminded me of that...

 
At 6/1/08 20:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 50's & 60's were like a different world! At least now we have no frost on the inside of the windows in winter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home