Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter to everyone



Back in 1981 the year Bucks Fizz won the Eurovision song contest we had a student staying on a school exchange programme. Sam, Beccy and Mappy painted these eggs for Easter and they have been sitting on my dresser ever since as a happy reminder of the visit.
Willowtree if you happen to read this remember you suggested after the fun monday post about our blogging environment that there might be stories about my bits and bobs- well that's the first.

Since Beccy has lived in Dublin I have only ever been able to spend one Easter with them and this was before Ben was born. I thought I'd just share this photo taken back then in 1999 after Dillon and Mollie had collected eggs left by the Easter Bunny. I think Mollie was dying to get eating and what you can't see in this photo is that she is wearing little pink wellies on the wrong feet. She refused to change them as she'd put them on herself (Mollie was very independent and strong willed, notice the hands on the hips).



Even though I don't see my grandchildren at Easter I always make sure they have eggs and here's a little preview of this year's selection which reflects their current tastes.


When Embee popped off to get the Sunday papers he came back with a choc orange easter egg for me so I shall save it until I get a choc craving day- I expect that will be quite soon!!
While Embee was out I was in the kitchen whipping up a batch of Easter biscuits. Well that's what I would like to think I did; the reality was true to my form and not the success I remember when I used to make them. I used the BBC recipe which I adapted (no candied peel and I added some oil of casia). I used my organic butter but for some reason it didn't turn into a fluffy enough mixture when beaten with the sugar. Somehow I also managed to get the mixture too wet, the temptation to add just a few more drops of milk was too much just as I slightly over cooked them. I think only one really looked remotely like an Easter biscuit as you will see in this photo.


If the Easter Bunny is visiting your house I hope he leaves you plenty of treats
and
I wish you all a peaceful and joyous day. I'm just off to prepare a traditional English meal but that's for another post.

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

At 8/4/07 12:42, Blogger Beccy said...

I was reading your post thinking the biscuits look delicious, then I see they're not yours! I'm still tempted to try and make some.

 
At 8/4/07 12:54, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy what do you mean not mine!!

 
At 8/4/07 13:23, Blogger Beccy said...

Oooops I misread what you typed. They all look like Easter biscuits to me so you should take it as a huge compliment!

 
At 8/4/07 14:20, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Happy Easter to you!

 
At 8/4/07 14:42, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy remember we are supposed to be promoting English cooking

 
At 8/4/07 15:08, Blogger ChrisB said...

Ac keep cheerful and a Happy Easter to you and your family

 
At 8/4/07 16:33, Blogger Sam said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8/4/07 16:36, Blogger Sam said...

You two!

Perhaps you should start with baby steps and get the English comprehension and English grammar down before you get on to the major undertakings like promoting English cooking.

I might make some Easter biscuits too, put I don't have peel either.
I could be candid and suggest I have appeal, but not peel ;)

OK - better get slaving in the kitchen...

 
At 8/4/07 19:27, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam OK I missed out an 'e' it's in now. how about you proof read before I publish!!

 
At 8/4/07 21:06, Blogger Beccy said...

Sam, I don't usually correct people but seeing as you started it don't you mean but not put?

 
At 8/4/07 22:51, Blogger ChrisB said...

I saw that but didn't comment!!

 
At 8/4/07 23:35, Blogger frannie said...

your family is cracking me up--- the comments are as good as a post.

and I think the bicuits look great!

 
At 9/4/07 00:48, Blogger Barbara said...

I've never heard of these Easter biscuits. Obviously they are something the English failed to bring to the Antipodes. I think yours look tasty.

 
At 9/4/07 03:35, Blogger Pamela said...

You are a bloggin' fool lady..... I just can't keep up with you (:

I so wish I was there to eat your plate of yummies.

We celebrated Easter by going to friends house for dinner, then a drive in the foothills of the mountains. A great treat for me as I saw two Meadowlarks, and stopped for their little impromptu concert of lovely melodies.

 
At 9/4/07 03:56, Blogger my4kids said...

Those look yummy to me but I don't know what an easter biscuit is supposed to look like.

I agree with Frannie the family comments always crack me up!

Hope you had a great Easter.
The picture of Mollie with her hands on her hips is cute, Maddie does the same thing its an attitude thing...

 
At 9/4/07 07:19, Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said...

You guys are a crackup - Happy Easter! Such a cute picture - can relate to that Mollie!

 
At 9/4/07 21:06, Blogger ChrisB said...

frannie and my4kids we love each other really.

barbara I'm really surprised you haven't heard of Easter biscuits, they are spicy and very nice.

Pamela hop over there are still some left but probably not for long. Your Easter sounds lovely and peaceful.

alice q thank you for dropping by. I have no contol over my offspring they don't think twice about back chatting but it's all good fun.

 
At 10/4/07 16:50, Blogger ~ej said...

lol @ the family's comments. and i always skip over the typos (but ya know how family are)....
biscuits look yummy....again i did chocolate instead (we have an alternate universe thing going here i think).
will you do an easter meal post??

 
At 10/4/07 20:31, Blogger ChrisB said...

elena jane I have a post in hand for the Easter meal later in the week.

 
At 11/4/07 01:42, Blogger willowtree said...

Somehow I missed this post, it was only by accident that I found it. Happy Easter.

 
At 11/4/07 08:34, Blogger ChrisB said...

willowtree why thank you but there's no obligation to read every post however I do look forward to the friendly comments ;-)

 
At 11/4/07 13:05, Blogger Portrait of Peter said...

How wonderful to see those painted eggs.

Brings back memories of my own childhood and an elderly neighbour - whose talent at painting eggs was always such a wonderful sight.

Blessings to you.

 
At 11/4/07 13:40, Blogger ChrisB said...

portraitofpeter- these may not be works of art but they are very special to me.

 
At 12/4/07 08:34, Blogger Beccy said...

We're making up for the backchatting that wasn't allowed when we were younger!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home