Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mothering Sunday


Mothering Sunday has been celebrated on the fourth Sunday in Lent since the early church. Centuries ago it was considered important for people to return to their home or 'mother' church once a year, which inevitably became an occasion for family reunions. It was this that led to the tradition of children, particularly those working as domestic servants or apprentices away from home, being given the day off to visit and take gifts to their mothers. Mothering Sunday was also known as Refreshment Sunday, because the fasting rules for Lent were relaxed on that day. A food item especially associated with the day is simnel cake: a rich fruit cake with almond paste on top and in the middle. For strict adherers to the Lenten fast, the cake had to keep until Easter Day, which is when it is now more commonly found on our tea tables.

However like many old festivals Mothering Sunday has become very commercial and its origin is forgotten by many. Sadly families often live too far away these days to visit. Of course I see my mother everyday as she lives with us, I had a long chat with Beccy this morning which was lovely, she sent me a pretty card she'd painted herself and my youngest grandson Ben was so sweet he also sent me a 'mothers day' painting.

I think in America Mother's Day has been celebrated on the second Sunday in May since 1914 (if I'm wrong please let me know) but for all those who celebrate today I hope you had a really happy day.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 18/3/07 23:48, Blogger Barbara said...

NZ and Australia celebrate in May also.

 
At 19/3/07 00:52, Blogger Sam said...

Hi mum
sorry i missed speaking to you today - I didn't realise the place we went to stay for the weekend had absolutely zero cell phone coverage because I did plan to call you this morning.
So I will try and call you tomorrow instead.
hope you had a lovely time xxx
sam

 
At 19/3/07 01:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara does your celebration originate from the church?

sam hope you and fred had a good weekend. It's very cold here again and it was a shock to my system after all the warmth. look forward to speaking tomorrow.

 
At 19/3/07 02:19, Blogger Sidetracked Home Executive said...

I never knew the true origins of Mothering Sunday, how interesting! We celebrate "Mothers Day" in May I think it is, not sure which date, I'll have to check my calender :o)

Glad to see you back Chris, hope you had a lovely time in Spain!

 
At 19/3/07 03:54, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. Those daffodils are lovely. When I was in London last week, I was astounded by all the daffodils! They certainly never grew all over the place like that where I grew up... I hope you had a wonderful mothering sunday.

 
At 19/3/07 04:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo, err, enidd forgot mother's day. luckily her mum thinks it's a hallmark festival and doesn't like her to do anything.

lovely daffs, chris. enidd does miss england in the spring.

 
At 19/3/07 05:46, Blogger Pamela said...

hey...where's the pictures of the painted cards???

 
At 19/3/07 10:18, Blogger Beccy said...

Hey Mum, looks like you read the same article as me!

 
At 19/3/07 15:25, Blogger Sam said...

Mum - when I got home I realised i had sunburn - it has been so hot here.

My nose is like a red cherry tomoato.

the sunburn came from driving with the top down.

i found a place for you to ride horses on the beach.

xxx

 
At 19/3/07 15:41, Blogger sallywrites said...

It's so nice to see a proper description of Mothering Sunday. My Mum has always called it Mothering Sunday, and I try to too. The homemade stuff is lovely from the kids. It really means something........

I had a mixture of homemade stuff, and the children had also clubbed together to buy me a copy of The Queen DVD - which I had been wanting to watch. so we all watched it together round the fire last night. Good film!!

 
At 19/3/07 22:34, Blogger Barbara said...

I don't know Chris. Probably something the English brought with them in the early days of colonisation.

 
At 20/3/07 01:05, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam the Spain trip was great i will be posting about it in the next few days.

little miss moi these were in my garden but there are masses out in all the parks and often along side the roads so everywhere looks very pretty at the moment.

enidd are you sure your mum isn't being kind as you forgot!

pamela I did think about putting these on

beccy You are probably right and how come you always get your post up before me hmm

sam I am actually still up but am too tired to call now as its 1am. will call you tomorrow. I can't believe you are sun burnt you must take care. I could have ridden on the beach in Spain but am saving the experience (that's if my hips aren't too bad)

sally I like queen freddy mercury is such a good performer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home