Monday, March 12, 2007

Fun Monday # 8


My daughter, Beccy, is the host of Fun Monday this week and she has realised that food has not yet been featured. So as she loves to eat and we all need to eat to survive her challenge is...

to post a recipe that would inspire her to get into the kitchen to chop, cut, grate, boil, steam, roast, chill, freeze and eat, eat, eat (sounds good to me).

Photographs are not necessary but may help tempt her taste buds! You will find all the frenzied cooks listed on Pepermint Tea.

When you read this post I will actually be sunning myself on the Costa del Sol in Spain so this is one I prepared earlier and all Beccy has to do for me is to make sure it's published on the day. I will not get to read all your delicious recipes until I return but I'm looking forward to finding a lot of new dishes to add to my repetoire.

This is not particularly imaginative as lack of time means I am just sharing a meal I prepared this week for my hubby. He is very fond of sausages, although I can take them or leave them but here is

TOAD IN THE HOLE

The sausages look a bit overcooked but that was just my poor photography.

Serves 4
Cooking time 35-40 mins
Oven temp 450-475 F Gas 7-8
then 375 F Gas 4-5

Recipe
Basic batter:
4 oz flour (plain) (approx100-125g)
pinch salt
1 egg
1/2 pt milk (aprox 300ml)

Method:
Sieve flour (if necessary I don't) add salt
Add egg add about a 1/4 of milk and stir until blended and then beat until smooth.
You can either beat in all the rest of milk or stand mixture for 15 mins and gradually add remainder of milk.
When batter becomes thinner, use egg whist to aerate the mixture. (many people believe it is better to let the batter stand in a cold place for a short time

T-I-H
1oz (25g) fat (lard is best)
1lb (450g)
Put the fat in pan and heat approx 4 mins add sausages and cook 8-10 mins (approx) (I actually par cooked sausages in separate pan to pour off extra fat)
Pour batter over sausages and cook in a very hot oven for about 10 mins until batter begins to rise. Lower heat to moderste and bake until golden brown.
You can add extras to this e.g. halved tomatoes or mushrooms.


I thought I would also leave you with a photo that might temp you to follow links to an earlier post of mine. There you will find another link to a very easy recipe for Somerset Apple Cake(with cinnamon) posted on 'bread water salt oil's' food blog.

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

At 11/3/07 23:00, Blogger Beccy said...

Dillon loves Toad in the Hole almost as much as he loves your Yorkshire pudding.

I must make that apple cake as I know from tasting yours how yummy it is!

 
At 12/3/07 00:55, Blogger Pamela said...

I should have cooked... but I was busy doing other things.

looks yummy.

I would say what time is breakfast, but you are off gallavanting!!!

 
At 12/3/07 02:17, Blogger Peg said...

Oh! Toad in the Hole was absolutely my most favorite meal when I was a little girl! Just in posting this you've brought me back to Claygate in 1975! *sighs*

I'm so making that for my kids--as soon as I can convert the measurements to cups rather than ounces!

 
At 12/3/07 04:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toad in the hole? Never heard of it, but will have to give it a try.

I am DEFINITELY making that apple cake. Yummmmmmmmm

 
At 12/3/07 09:38, Blogger Steffi said...

I love apple cake!Your recipe sounds very delicious!I will try it!Thank you!

 
At 12/3/07 10:01, Blogger Ailsa said...

English sausages - wish I could buy them in denmark. Toad in the hole isn't quite the same with frankfurters.

 
At 12/3/07 11:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

enidd thinks any recipe with "lard is best" in it is a winner. and she loves her toad in the hole too.

 
At 12/3/07 11:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, hope you're having a MARVELOUS time! "Costa del Sol in Spain" sounds so exotic :).

Ok, I have to tell you, I'm totally intrigued by this recipe, I'm even curious enough to make it, but it's been very interesting to read the differences in how a recipe "reads" in other countries (thanks for not just giving your recipe in metric ;) ).

My husband would love the apple cake...I'll have to check it out :).

 
At 12/3/07 11:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Costa Del Sol! Toad in the Hole! Do you live the most exotic life ever? I'm so hungry for this right now, I wish I had some sausages (would SPAM work?). The apple cake too! Can't wait to try it.

 
At 12/3/07 13:19, Blogger Woodlandmama said...

Not sure about the Toad in the Hole, but love the name so I will probably try it. Definatly will have some cake though.

 
At 12/3/07 13:24, Blogger Sabrina said...

Never heard of "toad in the hole" before but it looks fantastic! And the cake---yumm!!! Soak up some sunshine for us all!

 
At 12/3/07 13:29, Blogger FH said...

Yummy!!! Thank God you decided to put up the photo and the recipe.Thanks Chris!:))

 
At 12/3/07 13:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard of toad in the hole before, just never tried it.
It looks like something my daughter and husband would love!

 
At 12/3/07 14:25, Blogger Amy W said...

Toad in the hole and the cake look absolutley yummy. Thanks!

 
At 12/3/07 17:04, Blogger 2Crazzie4U said...

Chris- even tho you are away.. by the time you get to my blog-- just promise me you shall laugh!!.. I did something simple- Yet crazzie. I can kinda cook- but i don't cook often {because i am either at work or sleeping- when i am not checking my emails and whatnots.}

Anyways.. Enjoy ya time away from home.. and try to behave yaself.. hehehehehe.. Kids are such a blessing!!! Maybe i should come over to ya place and ya can cook me up something... hehehehehehe!!

p.s. Have a wonderful random day!!

 
At 12/3/07 20:45, Blogger Barbara said...

I love Toad in the hole.

 
At 12/3/07 23:43, Blogger willowtree said...

I've always been fascinated by Toad in the hole, the same way Pigs in a blanket always gets me. I didn't realise it was so easy to make, I'll have to give it a try.

Boy you really took this seriously, you actually used the phrase "here's one I prepared earlier", now that professional!

 
At 13/3/07 09:06, Blogger Sidetracked Home Executive said...

That Toad in the Hole looks so delicious! I will definitely have to try it, my hubby loves sausages too.

 
At 13/3/07 22:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need to write a cookbook.

Seriously.

In the meantime, I'd like a month off from work just to try all of you're wonderful-looking recipes.

Thank youl

 
At 14/3/07 14:33, Blogger sallywrites said...

OOH!! I love the look of the cake!!

 
At 14/3/07 18:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have never had toad in the hole, but i bet it needs english sausages! the cake looks delish, but of course it would!! :)
hope you're enjoying the spanish sun, wave to my sil (who's in spain elsewhere) ;)

 
At 20/3/07 09:35, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy tell dillon i'll make it for him if he reminds me next time you visit

Hi everyone who kindly left comments while I was away. As you have moved on to new 'fun' I will not respond individually but just say thank you and I am gradually getting to read all your back posts.

elena jane which part of Spain is she visiting??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home