Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Marmite Update


I was so convinced that today would be the day I would finally be the owner of several jars of this special marmite. Having been told by Sainsbury's customer services that it would be on the shelves on 7th March, they gave me the name of one store that would definitely stock it and some possibles, I decided a trip across Bristol to the most likely one would bear dividends.
As hubby is still off work he agreed to drive across on my behalf and when the phone rang I thought he was going to say 'they won't let me buy five jars' (I'd already told him if this happened just to go round several times to different checkouts-something he wasn't keen to do). No the problem was they didn't have any and according to the manager it was on his order list as out of stock.
So I am begining to feel that this marmite is so elusive that it doesn't actually exist and it's a figment of someone's imagination. Tomorrow hubby is back to work and will try a store in Bath which is about 12 miles from Bristol and I will be ringing Sainsbury's head office again to see why I was fed a load of bull.... last time I contacted them. So Sam and Beccy and CC I want you to know I am still trying. I'm desperate to find some before I go away on Saturday so that none of us are disappointed but I am beginning to wonder if I'm chasing the end of a rainbow.

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 8/3/07 01:33, Blogger Devon said...

O.K., not that I am keen on displaying my ignorance, but what the devil is Marmite, what do you do with it and why is it so hard to purchase?

I am seeing a trend with poor customer service in the stores in the UK! Hope is gets better for you!

 
At 8/3/07 02:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay - I've never had Marmite, but am starting to wonder if I should try it because of the lengths you are willing to go for it. Is it THAT good?

 
At 8/3/07 05:45, Blogger Pamela said...

since I just tried marmite last week for the first time you must tell me what the difference is between regular and this hard to purchase variety

 
At 8/3/07 08:13, Blogger ChrisB said...

devon regular marmite is easy to buy and its quite an individual taste and people either love it or hate it and this is how it's often marketed. The particular one that I am looking for is a special addition that has guinness in it. Now personally I think it will taste awful but as they are only making a limited edition one has to try it.
If you are interested have a look at this link It tastes great on toast with butter, or combined with other things in sandwiches and can be used as flavouring. I have a cookery book based on inclusion of marmite. I'm rambling you need to try it to see if you like it it's quite salty but has some of the B vitamins in it.

karmyn you should try it at least once

pamela I certainly will if I ever manage to get any.

 
At 8/3/07 08:23, Blogger Beccy said...

Mum, you are a saint traisping across Bristol for us. I think the head office should sent you a box for your trouble!

 
At 8/3/07 09:01, Blogger Sabrina said...

Good luck on this search for the holy grail of marmite. I can't bring myself to try something new right now (pregnant, everything smells like egg), but I'm sure the Guinness flavor is fantastic. Much better than the Guinness-flavored ice cream a local shop in Austin, Texas used to sell (and may still do).

 
At 8/3/07 09:33, Blogger ChrisB said...

sabrina this could well end up like the holy grail never to be found

beccy dad will be pleased with his new 'saintly' status as he actually went for me.

 
At 8/3/07 18:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

after all your searching, i also think they ought to send you a case! if for anything else than the cute photo of the container on your blog!
i had it once, in my other life in the 80s, wasn't too keen, but i wish ya lots of luck in finding it!! :)

 
At 8/3/07 20:44, Blogger AfKaP said...

Sorry to hear it has been so hard to find. I'm not too fond of the stuff myself and love vegemite even less - it is certainly an acquired taste! Hope it turns up before your
trip!

 
At 8/3/07 21:02, Blogger ChrisB said...

TAFKNAP (your new title is quite a mouthful hope you don't mind the short version) Iwill include another update in the marmite saga but I am going to have to leave it in hubby's (I hope capable) hands.

 
At 8/3/07 21:02, Blogger ChrisB said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8/3/07 21:04, Blogger ChrisB said...

marmite saga update tomorrow

 
At 8/3/07 21:07, Blogger ChrisB said...

elena jane It's definitely an aquired taste so you're one of those who hates the stuff while we all love it.

 
At 11/3/07 03:38, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm...I'd be willing to try it. If you are going to all this trouble, it must be worth it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home