Saturday, May 16, 2009

China -Shanghai First Impressions # 1

Ni hao
This is a photo of our tour group, actually taken at the end of the trip. Our national tour guide, Faye (kneeling), was brilliant and it was difficult to believe she's 31. Everyone was so friendly and it really made the holiday good fun. Faye travelled with us but we also had local guides for the different places we visited.

I got home very late on Wednesday evening (11pm) and felt exhausted. The following morning I realised that all was not well with my bladder. I felt feverish, but I'm sure you don't want to hear about the other nasty symptoms. I knew that I had a UTI so it was straight to the Doctors for antibiotics. Luckily things have started to improve. Not exactly the way I'd planned to end my holiday!

The trip was wonderful but quite tiring because we were on the go most of the time to fit every thing into the busy schedule. I had a problem getting my camera to charge so I took a lot of pictures in Shanghai and then only had my phone camera which only holds 100 shots (and I haven't got a clue how to download them {or if I can} as the instruction book is not that helpful).

You can imagine how gutted I was; however, I have been promised photos from other people on the trip but this might take a while for me to get them. So until then this is my first view of China as we travelled from the airport, in Shanghai, to our hotel. All photos taken from through the coach window. One of the first impressions was the roads were lined with trees and shrubs that were very well cared for, labour is very cheap and you could see people on their hands and knees tending the verges. Many people live in flats as you can see in these photos. There are some areas of the city that are very poor and people live in old style housing, which is gradually being replaced (see more photos below). The total population of Shanghai is over 18 million and this includes nearly 5 million migrant workers.Extended families share very small homes, and there is still a policy on the number of children any family can have.
This reminds me of America and Canada.The traffic congestion is horrendous in Shanghai and the rules of the road, as we know it don't exist, this road sign is designed to give drivers information on how busy the road is and I think it's a great idea that we could adopt. Crossing the road is a night mare; although there are some lights, at zebra crossings the pedestrian still had to dodge the traffic as it doesn't stop and you can find yourself stranded in the middle of the road with cars and bikes zooming around you. We were advised by our guide to get into the middle of the locals and cross the road with them!There maybe 9 million bicycles in Beijing but we thought many of them had moved to Shaghai. The picture above does not really convey the number in use.This is one of the typical streets that we saw in many areas of the city.

To be continued.........

Archives:
2008: Friday-40 Photo Challenge-3 Turndown service
2007: A day for quiet reflection

Labels: , , , , ,

20 Comments:

At 16/5/09 13:05, Blogger cynicalgirl said...

Wonderful photos! Can't wait to hear more.

I send my phone photos to my email and download them from there. I'm sure there must be other ways, but I don't have any idea how to do it.

 
At 16/5/09 13:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hi cynicalgirl I did see in the info that was one way to do it but I was hoping for quicker method as I have so many.

 
At 16/5/09 13:21, Blogger Beccy said...

I think you have to pay that way mum, did the phone not come with a wire?

It's lovely to see those photos, I can't wait for the next installment.

 
At 16/5/09 14:12, Blogger Faye said...

Welcome home ChrisB! Hope you're feeling better soon. As you say, not the best way to end a vacation. I understand how frustrated you are about camera problems. My photos are the most important mementos of the trips I take--plus we want blog fodder, right? Thanks for sharing these glimpses of China. Haven't visited that country yet. I had heard the trick about moving in the middle of locals to get across the street.

 
At 16/5/09 14:21, Blogger Shelley Heath said...

Great insight into your holiday.

My phone has a bluetooth connection that I can download them via and also came with a disk and cable to connect to the computer. Chances are yours did too.

 
At 16/5/09 15:09, Anonymous Mariposa said...

Welcome back! Looks like you had a great time... :)

Thanks for sharing the photos...

 
At 16/5/09 15:34, Blogger ChrisB said...

Faye I have the memories but it's definitely the blog fodder I look for when I'm away. I'll be very pleased to get photos from others on the trip but I know that there was a lot of things that I found interesting that others might not. I don't only take the pretty scenery as you probably gathered from this post.

Shelley I don't think my phone is very sophisticated even though it is new. I think it does have does have bluetooth but there were no cables other than head phones. I must go back to the shop and check and get advice.

 
At 16/5/09 15:53, Anonymous Grannymar said...

Welcome Home! Rest plenty and take your time, we will wait.

 
At 16/5/09 18:14, Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back Chris! Plug the phone into the computer, it should find it!

 
At 16/5/09 18:26, Anonymous Beckie said...

Glad that you are back safe and sound and that your are recovering from the UTI - they can be nasty.

The pictures are really interesting to me along with the explanation.

 
At 16/5/09 23:01, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. Wow, I see you've been getting around in my absence. China - what an exciting destination! I can't wait to hear more about it. Hope you feel better soon.

 
At 17/5/09 02:26, Blogger willowtree said...

Welcome home.

 
At 17/5/09 05:10, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a pain about the camera. I remember when mine broke down at the Grand Canyon of all places. Talk about bad timing.

 
At 17/5/09 07:00, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Im LOVING the photos....... cant wait for more...... what a wonderful time you must of had......

Did you steal a bit of the wall? :)

x

 
At 17/5/09 10:12, Blogger ChrisB said...

AC you know just how I felt. I think my friends were fed up with me lamenting and asking them to take shots!

Marmie I was tempted to take a bit of the wall but didn't fancy a Chinese jail LOL. (although I became quite an expert with the hole in the floor!)

LMM lovely to see you again.

Beckie thankfully I feel tons better now. Meds finish tomorrow.

 
At 18/5/09 00:29, Blogger Pamela said...

oh boy oh boy oh boy --- you're home with photos and stories.
I feel like Christmas.

I have no idea how to download from my phone.

 
At 18/5/09 13:32, Blogger Steffi said...

Wonderful photo´s ,Chris!Welcome back at home!It´s great to hear from you again!

 
At 18/5/09 16:34, Anonymous Karmyn R said...

Yeah! So glad you made it home safely (too bad not healthy).

Can't wait to see more of your trip. I'm laughing at the big green sign.

 
At 19/5/09 02:29, Blogger Barbara said...

Welcome home Chris. Looks a
like an interesting city to visit.

 
At 19/5/09 02:30, Blogger Barbara said...

PS> Hope you are feeling better now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home