Monday, January 12, 2009

Fun Monday # 98 Quirky or Weird??

First of all I would like to thank you all for all the kind comments about my back it certainly is a lot more comfortable today, so hopefully on the mend.

I know I said that I might be late getting my FM post but I didn't actually dream it would be this late. For some reason my photos (edited in Photoshop Elements) would not upload-kept getting internal error. It's taken me hours to get it sorted! So to the task....

This week Jan asks us:

What is the quirkiest thing in your home that you will never give away?

Now I'm sure we will all have our own ideas on what is quirky. I'll let you be the judge of the things I'm going to show! I bet you will think it's weird rather than quirky, with a couple of unusual items thrown in.
OK here are four items for you to wonder what they contain!!!!
If you look below the answer is revealed!

You would be right in thinking the old leather manicure set has seen better days. It belonged to my grandmother and as a teenager I spent a long time trying to buff my nails until they shone as I was not allowed to wear nail polish.

The little green box (could be Bakelite)contains an early Ever Ready razor. I'm not sure if it belonged to my father or my grandfather but it's just something I've always kept, in case it became a collectible.

The other items are my daughter's teeth- see said I was weird and I have to keep them because no one else would want them. I'm also showing you a couple of the letters that Sam wrote to the fairies. I think they are so sweet. When Beccy had her wisdom teeth out they just got added to the pot.

The final item below is an earthenwear hot water bottle that I used as a child. I can tell you they would be very hot but it was wrapped in an old pillowcase to stop feet being burned. I still remember using this well into the 60's for airing beds and I now keep as an ornament. I believe I've shown it before in a previous FM.

So that's my lot for today. I don't know about you but I like the 'show and tell' challenges as this was the original intention of FM to satisfy all the nosy interested people like me so you all over the next couple of days.

P.S the photos will enlarge if you click-not that I necessarily think you will want a closer look LOL.

Archives:
2008: Snow was here
2007: Why does exercise always make you feel hungry

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

At 12/1/09 22:28, Blogger FH said...

Oh, I missed that post. How are you now? Hope it's nothing serious. Take care.

So sweet! You saved those letters to the tooth fairy all these years! :))

 
At 12/1/09 23:17, Blogger karisma said...

Karisma giggles, the second picture came up as blank and I thought you were going to say "nothing". Those boxes are all beautiful regardless of whats inside them.

Im a slacker I guess I never kept any teeth at all. The tooth fairy took them all! She did!

 
At 12/1/09 23:25, Blogger ChrisB said...

Asha I'm in much less pain today. I'm far too sentimental I know.

Karisma I had to buy the teeth back from the tooth fairy-that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

 
At 13/1/09 00:18, Blogger Jan said...

Chris, I'm so glad you're better. This is a great post. Love the notes and that you bought the teeth back from the tooth faerie.

 
At 13/1/09 00:27, Blogger Living Life said...

Those are definitely items to hold onto! I was most curious to see what was kept inside the containers!

 
At 13/1/09 01:01, Blogger Sam said...

seeing my teeth on the internet is kind of gross - would be nicer if they were whiter!

the notes are cute though, and I was trying to tell Fred about that stone bottle the other day. I remember it used for us when we were kids too, and trying not to burn our feet.

 
At 13/1/09 23:23, Blogger Lisa said...

I think that's neat and I love it! I've saved both my boys teeth, too and even their umbilical cords (in little bottles), so I'm a weirdo, too I guess. :O)

LOVE the hot water bottle. That's just greatness. I guess I missed it in the first post.

Have a great rest of the week!

 
At 14/1/09 00:58, Blogger Molly said...

You have shown us some treasures. As I read these quirky Fun Monday posts, Ithink of more quirky items in our home.

 
At 14/1/09 04:30, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

One person's teeth is fine, but I don't know if I like this mingling of different people's teeth!

I've read about hot water bottles like yours but have never seen one. Thank you.

 
At 14/1/09 06:08, Blogger Gattina said...

We had a dog when my son was little and he kept its milkteeth ! they are together with his, lol !

 
At 14/1/09 06:08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey my mom still has my teeth too. :) And I still have my kids'. :)

I love your crock water heater thing! Unique - I had never seen one. :)

 
At 14/1/09 11:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! Still making the rounds, sorry it's so late. Fabulous items! Heehee, I kept my OWN teeth as a kid...I was weird. I wonder if my mom still has them :-)

I remember the rubber hot water bottles...you'd fill 'em up with boiling water, smoosh all the air out, and put in the heavy stopper. Wrapping in a towel or pillowcase was always recommended. Your hot water bottle is much more decorative!

 
At 14/1/09 18:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam I thought about using the hottie recently as it's been so cold.

Ari I keep them in the separate pots :)

gattina ha I very nearly kept my dogs first teeth but decided against it.

lisa I'm glad I'm not alone!

M bet your mom still has them!

 
At 15/1/09 00:03, Blogger Pamela said...

I've run across little snippits of hair and teeth that we saved for our girls, and then forget where I saw them.

the letter to the tooth fairy takes the cake tho!!

 
At 18/1/09 16:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was one of the nosy ones wanting to know what was kept in the containers. Then you showed us and ick! Teeth! HA! I know my mom has all my teeth as well. It is still kind of gross. HA! I do love the notes to the tooth fairy. Cute!

Sorry I am just getting over here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home