Monday, January 05, 2009

Fun Monday # 97 --- Happy Birthday Joules


Faye at Summit Musings wants us to reveal our innermost thoughts this week she says:

"What's on your mind as we close out 2008 and begin 2009? Large and small. What are often your first thoughts the minute you wake up? When you're alone and unguarded? Working? Stuck in traffic? Playing with the children? Walking the dogs? When you can't sleep?"

First thoughts when I wake up at 4am every morning and can't get back to sleep until it's time to get up, is simply Why!

As I lie there trying to empty my mind and think of lovely peaceful things, like the sun and walking along a beach, with the gentle lapping of the waves, other thoughts begin to creep in and suddenly instead of relaxing my mind is alert and alive!

Take the other morning, I heard (or thought I heard my mother calling) I was out of bed like a flash and as I opened the bedroom door and listened I could hear really weird breathing coming from my mother's room which is on a different level of the house to mine.

I was immediately transported back to nursing on night duty. Those early hours of the morning when you hear stertorous breathing (a bit like the *death rattle*). I felt really panicky and went into my mothers room and touched her on the forehead, and still she didn't wake up. I'm sure it was only seconds, even though it felt like minutes, but I tell you I was seriously wondering if she had suffered a stroke. It was at this point she woke up with a start and said she was OK and I left her to sleep.

I'm not sure whether she even remembered this incident the next day, and I certainly didn't mention it. However, it made me realise that this scenario could become a reality and I've been wondering just how I would cope!


***************************
Today I'd like to wish my son-in-law, Joules, a very Happy Birthday.
We hope you enjoy your day (Joules remember where this was taken!),

Chris, Mike and Granny Betty

Archives:
2008: Artistes and Achievements
2007: Busy doing nothing much!

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

At 5/1/09 17:59, Blogger Faye said...

I think I've solved the waking up at 4 a.m. thing. When you're retired, don't go to bed until then! Don't know if your have that luxury. So, were you a nurse at one time? My friend, who worked the night shift, always talked about the ebb and flow of patients in the late night. Where I grew up a family member would always try to stay overnight with a patient so they wouldn't be alone if death comes in the night. Not sure that's done much in these modern times.

Happy birthday to Joules. Like the looks of scenery from the boat.

 
At 5/1/09 18:14, Blogger sallywrites said...

Happy Birthday Joules and Happy New Year Chris, Becky, sam and all the family!

 
At 5/1/09 18:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...Chris, I get up at 4am (US Eastern time) and it is indeed an ungodly hour. And I am glad your mom was OK, although it must have been an unsettling experience.

And I like Faye's comment - duly noted! *sigh* Come on, retirement!

 
At 5/1/09 18:57, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. I hope you're not too cold in the cold snap! Rug up and keep warm!

 
At 5/1/09 19:05, Blogger Jan said...

I'm glad your Mom is alright. Being a caregiver must take up a lot of your thought, awake and asleep. Bless you.
Happy birthday to your son-in-law, Joules.

 
At 5/1/09 19:32, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Joules!

 
At 5/1/09 21:28, Blogger Sayre said...

The first thing I do when I wake up is listen to the house breathe. I can tell who's where just by listening.

 
At 5/1/09 22:40, Blogger Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Wow! What a horrible feeling to wake up to! I am not sure I could have gone back to sleep. Glad all was well!

 
At 5/1/09 22:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds like a scary experience. Glad your Mom was ok. Happy B.day Joules, many more to come for you.

 
At 5/1/09 23:31, Blogger Molly said...

Thinking relaxing thoughts is good idea. We could all use some lovely peaceful thoughts. The incident that you have described with your mother must have been frightening even for a trained nurse. Take care.

 
At 6/1/09 00:39, Blogger Barbara said...

I go to bed later so I don't wake up at 4AM. I'm usually awake at 5.30 which here is the best time to walk before the heat of the day. Bryan and I were with his mother when she passed away. I think of it as a very special moment in our lives. A funny incident happened though - when we called the nurse in her first instinct was to hug Bryan. I ended up saying "excuse me, do you think I could hug him now?".

 
At 6/1/09 00:44, Blogger karisma said...

Happy Birthday Joules xxxx


I wish I could sleep a straight six hours without dreaming occasionally, now that would be something! I hope your mum is okay.

 
At 6/1/09 01:44, Blogger Celeste said...

Funny how one wakes at 4 am with those disturbing thoughts. I used to do that, until I made peace with the process and realized it was a good time to get a grip on what was bugging me. Then, the wakeful thoughts moved to 2 am. There is no making peace with THAT!

 
At 6/1/09 03:01, Blogger Alison said...

I always wake up early on days I don't have to get up, and drag my butt out of bed on days I do, I have often wondered why this is. What a frightening experience with your mom, I am glad she is OK.

Happy birthday Joules.

 
At 6/1/09 03:29, Blogger Pamela said...

right around Christmas I was waking up early like that. For about a week. Now I'm sleeping better again.

My husband has a weird snore -- and sometimes quits breathing. Freaks me out.

 
At 6/1/09 03:29, Blogger Pamela said...

oops ps. happy birthday Joules.

 
At 6/1/09 06:06, Blogger Betty said...

Hi Chris,

Your description of thinking you heard sounds coming from your mother's room makes me think that subconsiously you might just be worrying about her all the time afraid something bad will happen to her. I can relate to that as I experienced those thoughts and feelings with my own Mom when she was living.

Blessings to you,
Betty

 
At 6/1/09 09:49, Blogger Steffi said...

Happy birthday to Joules!

 
At 6/1/09 13:53, Blogger Gattina said...

That must be pretty scary when you think that somebody is feeling bad or even worse ! But your reaction you can never foresee, you probably do exactly the opposite what you thought you would do !

 
At 6/1/09 14:57, Blogger Cruise Mom said...

I too have what I call my worry hour, but it is typically at 2AM. At this time I wake up, worry about the topic du jour, and can hear every little sound that is made by the house, the wind, the cats, etc....

 
At 6/1/09 18:05, Blogger ChrisB said...

cruise mom mine used to be 2am so I started gong to bed much later and all that happened was the time shifted!

 
At 6/1/09 18:07, Blogger ChrisB said...

faye when I was nursing which was many years ago now staying was not encouraged but I actually think things have improved a little but more so for children than adults.

 
At 6/1/09 18:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara I can imagine it is very peaceful(as well as cool) to be walking at that time of day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home