Monday, November 10, 2008

Fun Monday # 90 We must never forget


Janis is our hostess this week and here is the assignment! She says"

"Since Next Tuesday is Veterans Day, I thought it would be nice to salute our Veterans and show our appreciation. Photo requirement of something patriotic".

Now if anyone saw my post yesterday you may have realised that here in the UK yesterday was Remembrance Sunday when services were held throughout the country and poppies were laid to remember and honour the many brave people who have laid down their lives for their country in the many conflicts since WW1. This year is the 90th Anniversary of Armistice Day and there are now very few veterans alive who fought in WW1.
Every year a service is held in London at the Cenotaph and the Queen lays the first wreath.
Photograph: Daniel Deme/EPA



On Tuesday there will be other services and I believe the second oldest WW1 survivor, in the UK, Harry Patch (110yr) who lives in my part of the country will be honoured.

We do not have a public holiday on Thursday as they do in America, however, since 2006 a national Veterans Day has been introduced into the calendar.

Former servicemen and women are honoured on 27 June every year at a series of ceremonies across the UK.

Former soldiers, air crews and sailors are presented with medals at local events on National Veterans Day. At the time The Veterans Agency said 27 June was chosen as it comes the day after the anniversary of the first investiture of the Victoria Cross, which happened in Hyde Park, London, in 1857.

When Gordon Brown, announced the plans for the annual event, he said the aim was to ensure the contribution of veterans was "never forgotten". I think this was one of his better decisions! However, the day has not become a national holiday and in some ways I think this was a mistake. (Veterans in the US have had an official holiday since 1954, when Armistice Day on 11 November was changed to Veterans Day by an Act of Congress).

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.


Archives:
2007: Friendship Award
2006: Traditional Champ

Labels: , , , ,

23 Comments:

At 10/11/08 12:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...what a great post. Thank you! I knew that Great Britain and the US have been staunch allies in a lot of things, and I wondered if Great Britain had a similar holiday to our Veterans' Day. Terrific pictures too!

 
At 10/11/08 12:55, Blogger Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I love hearing how other countries honor their servicemen and women. Thanks!

 
At 10/11/08 13:03, Blogger kitten said...

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing! It is just great to learn of others and I sure didn't know this little bit of info.

 
At 10/11/08 13:19, Blogger Jan n Jer said...

How informative, It's wonderful that other countries honor their vets as well. Great pictures too!
Thanks for participating in FM!

 
At 10/11/08 13:52, Blogger Jill said...

very cool.

 
At 10/11/08 16:41, Blogger Alison said...

great post Chris...I love learning about other country's traditions....110 years old!! Wow, he looks wonderful.

 
At 10/11/08 17:41, Blogger Jan said...

Great post, Chris. We can all be thankful to our veterans. Oh, and Harry Patch, 110, that's just great.

 
At 10/11/08 17:49, Blogger Beckie said...

Now that was very interesting. To think that you almost didn't do FM this week - I think I read on Plurk that you were thinking of not doing it.

I remember my mother buying me red poppies from the veterans when I was a child. I haven't seen those in a long time.

 
At 10/11/08 18:02, Blogger Beccy said...

I saw the BBC news on Sunday and they reported that there are only three living WW1 veterans.

 
At 10/11/08 18:53, Blogger Junebug said...

Great post. It brought tears to my eyes. God bless Harry Patch.

 
At 10/11/08 20:39, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Thanks for the post. I've taken a different angle in my own blog as I thought about it all.
Cyalayta
Mal :)

 
At 10/11/08 20:49, Blogger Living Life said...

I wonder what the significance is of the poppies? I saw a veteran handing them out at the mall on Sunday.

 
At 10/11/08 22:18, Blogger Tracy said...

In the U.S. we celebrate Memorial Day in May to remember our fallen war heros who served graciously. Much like your Rememberance Day. Interesting how countries honor their military.

 
At 10/11/08 22:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read The Last Tommy? Or The Last fighting Tommy which is about Mr Patch...
I have them both if you would like them... Don't worry if you don't, or just give me a shout when you are ready. I'll keep them safe.
We watched the service on tv yesterday and as ever it was very moving.

 
At 11/11/08 01:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that we honor our Veterans so close together. I didn't realize that Armistice Day was for the WWI Veterans.

 
At 11/11/08 02:38, Blogger Unknown said...

I always cringe when we have a topic on Fun Monday that seems exclusive to the US, knowing that there is multi-country participation in this - but it really is fun to read about how similar we all are in our celebrations. Thank you for the great lesson.

 
At 11/11/08 05:13, Blogger Gattina said...

Today (11) it's a holiday in Belgium and as it is on a tuesday a lot of companies closed also on Monday so people are happy to have a long weekend. I saw the festivities with the queen yesterday evening on TV.

 
At 11/11/08 08:40, Blogger ChrisB said...

daffy I saw that book advertised and no I haven't read it. I imagine it is fascinating to hear his story.

 
At 11/11/08 08:42, Blogger ChrisB said...

Thank you all for visiting and taking the time to comment.

 
At 11/11/08 15:23, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

Remembrance Day is a national holiday here too, and across Canada there will be services. Taylor will be in one at the mall.

 
At 11/11/08 17:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I enjoyed reading it

 
At 11/11/08 22:25, Blogger storyteller said...

How interesting to learn of your traditions. Thanks for sharing ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

 
At 13/11/08 03:33, Blogger Pamela said...

110 years old. oh my.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home