Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ferry Building Marketplace ( San Francisco)


Iknow it is now several months since my trip to San Francisco but I still have a few photos that I want to share. Anyone who follows Sam's blog will know of her love for some of the stalls at her local market. So I really wanted to share these photos with you, taken on a Saturday.

The Acme Bread Co makes the most delicious bread using only organic flour. As you are queuing you can see the bread being baked in the background and it's fascinating to see the speed these guys are working to produce enough bread. It is very difficult to make a choice as everything looks and smells wonderful. If you ever get the opportunity do try it. Actually I'm glad I was only visiting because I would definitely eat far too much bread if I lived there!

Rancho Gordo is a wonderful stall with so many varieties of beans. As a beginner to cooking beans I got some good advice and suggestions on what to buy. I was treated very well because Sam is so well known!
I'll let you know how I get on once I use them!
I mentioned in a previous post how fascinated I was with the mushrooms and I was drawn back for another look as I was mesmerized by the many varieties on offer.
As well as the ferry building all the stalls are set up around the outside on a Saturday. It gets very busy and it takes time to get a really good look at the most popular stalls. You might notice they have a 'Sur La Table" shop (see below) and this is where I bought a new knife.
When Sam said Saint Benoît's is the best yoghurt she had ever tasted I thought she was exaggerating but, having tasted it, I think I am inclined to agree with her. In addition to these little pots they do sell a larger pot but you need to be there early because they sell out quickly, as we found to our cost. The little pots are actually pottery and you pay for them but get a refund when you return the empty pot. So this is helping the environment as well. Oh I nearly forgot to mention you can get different flavours, I chose lemon which has lovely subtle flavour and combined perfectly with my muesli that Sam made using a recipe from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking Book.


Remember Sam's post about June Taylor's Tomato Ketchup. I visited her stand and bought some home and even though I do not normally like ketchup I have to say it's every bit as good as Sam says.

I can see why Sam loves shopping here and I know I would be a regular if I lived in San Francisco.

Archives:
2007: What a Coincidence

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

24 Comments:

At 17/1/08 14:01, Blogger Beccy said...

It's great to see photos, now I know what to imagine when Sam is talking about the market.

 
At 17/1/08 14:14, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy I just tried to skype you but no answer!!

 
At 17/1/08 14:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That food market looks amazing, I want to go and browse there right now.....but instead I'm still washing sudocrem out froom someone's clothes!

 
At 17/1/08 15:20, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

I enjoy reading Sam's stories of the market, and now yours, too!
If I ever get there I will be all over every inch of every stall, I'm sure!
I love Sur la Table, too.


Lisa

 
At 17/1/08 15:20, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hannah hope it comes out~ I had to chuckle when I read your post because I recall similar incidents from when mine were small.

 
At 17/1/08 15:21, Blogger Sandy said...

Terrific pictures, Chris. Makes me a little envious, though. Our farmer's market here is literally veggies in pickup truck beds. Oh, well, we have time to progress. And the veggies are awesome.

 
At 17/1/08 15:40, Blogger ChrisB said...

Lisa you would love it I know. I could have bought so much in Sur La Table, they had some lovely stuff.

Sandy I bet you pay less though and the veggies will be just as good!

 
At 17/1/08 15:59, Blogger Alison said...

Your comment on my post made me laugh..patience, patience..I am writing the next installment now!
Too bad I didn't "know" you when you were here, we could have met IRL. I live very near San Francisco!!

 
At 17/1/08 16:25, Blogger ChrisB said...

alison my family would say I'm short on patience! I'm sure I will be making another trip to SF in the future!

 
At 17/1/08 16:32, Blogger katy said...

all those mushrooms, i love mushrooms, i would want to buy every variety!

 
At 17/1/08 17:02, Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Mmmm, it's too bad we don't have food markets like that here!

 
At 17/1/08 18:36, Blogger Alix said...

Lovely photos - is there anything better than the smell of baking bread (maybe brewing coffee!) I loved the market when we went too. We had a great breakfast there.

 
At 17/1/08 18:49, Blogger Unknown said...

What a brilliant post!!

 
At 17/1/08 19:27, Blogger Amy W said...

Now I am hungry...

 
At 18/1/08 01:31, Blogger Sam said...

I fed you well. I am glad you liked it all.

 
At 18/1/08 03:05, Blogger Joy T. said...

GREAT photos and that market looks devine! I almost smell the fresh bread from here :o)

 
At 18/1/08 03:43, Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to go tour the shops there! Now see what you've done? you've made me want to travel. :)

 
At 18/1/08 04:07, Blogger Kaytabug said...

This post is making me want to move to San Fran!!

 
At 18/1/08 06:08, Blogger Pamela said...

perfect travelogue!! Next time I go to SF I must get some of the ketchup; Many years ago we were treated to some gourmet ketchup (catsup?), and we were all so surprised that it could be so much better.

mmmmmmmushrooms.

 
At 18/1/08 10:41, Blogger Steffi said...

Great post and pictures,Chris!Really interesting!

 
At 18/1/08 16:51, Blogger ChrisB said...

katy they had mushroom kits and I was tempted to get one but was already bringing back a suitcase full of bits and pieces!

Alix which coffee did you have! The Blue Bottle Co are supposed to be the best they have a kiosk at the Ferry building.

 
At 18/1/08 18:53, Blogger Sam said...

you need to fix your ranch gordo link!

 
At 18/1/08 19:25, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam thanks I don't know why it suddenly didn't link~ I had checked it and I have done it again and it does work now.

 
At 19/1/08 09:34, Blogger my4kids said...

When we lived down in the regular parts of the states we had places like that and I loved going shopping there not as big a market here though.
I would love the little pottery for the yogurt though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home