Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Lucas Films Ltd at the Digital Arts Centre~Presidio

I am very mindful that I have not finished telling you about my trip to the city where Tony Bennett left his heart. I can understand why this became his signature tune, and was adopted by the city!
However, the focus of my ramblings is not this song, but the fact that I was lucky enough take a tour of ILM-Lucas Films, which relocated to the Digital Arts Centre at the Presidio in 2005. Sam used to work there and Fred still does so he arranged to take us on a tour. US includes Enidd and her man. We were able to tour the whole building and see where Fred worked. En route we met many of Sam's old colleagues and one person even remember meeting me in Sausalito back in 2002. Maybe I haven't changed as much as I thought!!
All around the building the original models, together with numerous awards and some of the original cameras used in the filming, were on display.
I only took a few photos and decided to put them into a little slide show and leave you to see just which characters you recognise (I have to be honest and say I don't know them all~ so no prizes if you get them all correct as I won't know!). I think if I had snapped everything I saw I would have had hundreds of photos, so this is a flavour! At the completion of each film all the 'crew' are put into a photo and I did find Sam in several pictures but it's not possible to recognise anyone in the photo I took.


I also saw the magnificent cinema, where all the films are viewed, and naturally I had to have my photo taken (the wrinkles are less visible in B&W)!
After the tour we went for lunch at Pres a Vi. I think their lunch portions were a little too generous but apart from that the food was acceptable (it's no good looking to me for a proper food review)!!!
P.S. having published I see the video is not as clear as it looked on my computer~ so I'm disappointed.
Archives:
January 2007: The patient was laughing...

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

At 8/1/08 16:20, Blogger Beccy said...

'Acceptable' doesn't sound too good!

 
At 8/1/08 16:39, Blogger Sandy said...

Your video, which is outstanding by the way, is very clear on my computer. Great job and it looks like you had just a wonderful time.

I grew up in Fairfax and the Presidio was still a functioning army base when I was little!

Nice to see it just didn't fall into disrepair and vanish.

 
At 8/1/08 16:54, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

The video looks fine here, and I like your food reviews!



Lisa

 
At 8/1/08 17:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha! I see no wrinkles. This is a lovely post and I enjoyed the journey you took us all on.

 
At 8/1/08 17:52, Blogger FH said...

You are a beautiful lady Chris! Wrinkles or no wrinkles, do not matter at all. That's a very good photo actually. I love B & W photos too.
My son would love that video, I will show it to him!:)

 
At 8/1/08 18:44, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

When you put together a slideshow, you don't fool around. I think George may be calling to offer you a job. :)

 
At 8/1/08 19:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

enidd had a lovely day, and enjoyed the food at pres a vi. she thinks chris has very high standards.

 
At 8/1/08 20:21, Blogger Kaytabug said...

More, more! I'd love to see more from Lucas Films!! Were you able to tour because of knowing someone on the "inside". or Do they offer tours to the public? Great video.

 
At 8/1/08 20:27, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy acceptable is just fine.

sandy I think the whole area has a lot of interesting history. You must know it so well being brought up in locally!

Lisa there is only one person in our family who writes good food reviews!

daffy glad it worked!!

asha it's pretty amateurish but I enjoy trying!

Ac LOL I don't think GL will be knocking on my door any time soon!!

enidd I'm easy to please really but remember I had been to Manresa and a few other places so it wasn't fair of me to do comparisons!!

 
At 8/1/08 20:34, Blogger ChrisB said...

kaytabug do you know I'm not really sure about public tours!

 
At 8/1/08 20:55, Blogger Alix said...

How exciting to get to go to Lucas Films. We re-watched (for the 100th time) the original trilogy over Christmas.
I thought the slide show was great.

 
At 8/1/08 21:27, Blogger Sam said...

No, they don't do tours to the general public, but you can go around the outside and see the Yoda fountain and go into the lobby behind it where Darth Vader stands. (I didn't know the public could do this but since I saw a family do just that without security stopping them whilst I was there with mum, so I can only assume it is allowed).

You may remember Mum insisted on eating every little scrap of her lunch and since it was way too big, any enjoyment she might have felt of the food was probably ruined by the act of over eating. I know you don't like waste, mum, but we could have taken it to go and given it to a homeless person. They say you lose interest after 7 bites, so the time you get to the 70th bite of anything, it's never going to fell as good as mouthful #1.

I do think they were extremely generous for the reasonable price, the service was nice, the bread basket is one of the best with its homemade cheese crackers that were very good.

And the man bought us a bottle of bubbles which in itself is a lunch that can't be betterd, so quit complaining already, sheez, or you won't get another invite ;P

 
At 8/1/08 21:28, Blogger Sam said...

PS - I agree with whoever said George might be offering mum a job pretty soon....

 
At 8/1/08 21:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome video! I loved it - and now think I have to watch Star Wars again.

I recognized most of the creatures - there were a handful I didn't know at all.

What a fun tour! I wish I had known that was there when we went to San Fran a few years back.

 
At 8/1/08 21:40, Blogger Sam said...

Karmyn - it was only built recently so maybe not there when you visited. ILM moved from San Rafael to the Presidio in Summer 2005 I think.

 
At 8/1/08 21:50, Blogger ChrisB said...

Alix I do consider myself pretty lucky.

Sam I was not complaining~ remember I was a war baby and brought up not to waste food~ AND just for the record I did not eat all my chips(fries)! AND the champagne was lovely! Beccy started this with her comment~ well maybe I did with mine in the post by not saying more positive things about the meal!! I did enjoy it I just can't describe things like you do!

 
At 8/1/08 23:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wrinkles?
Hey you...Happy New Year.
Haven't been out and about much, so wanted to thank you for stopping by.
Great video.

 
At 9/1/08 14:45, Blogger Steffi said...

Really nice video,Chris!great post!

 
At 9/1/08 16:05, Blogger Pamela said...

Those were quite familiar creatures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home