Sunday, January 13, 2008

Meme

Steffi who makes beautiful children's clothes tagged me for this meme:

1. Jobs ... where I worked...

Now do I give you my whole employment history (it's like doing a CV):

While I was still at school I worked first in my parents confectioners shop and delivered the newspapers. When they sold the shop I went to work for a local farmer on his milk round and when I had finished that job I went and worked in a local greengrocery shop (that was 5am -6pm lunch provided).
At the age of 18 I went to train as a nurse and qualified 3yrs later. I was a staff nurse for a year before leaving to start my most important job~ giving birth and looking after my two girls (back then there was no maternity leave). During this time I ran a home based pre-school for a couple of years.
Unfortunately (I was ditched for a new model!) so about 7 yrs later I found myself back working as a private nurse.
After 6 yrs I joined social Services, did some management training and managed a team of Home Care assistants and then a team of Home Aides. I then moved on to inspection of day care services (nurseries, pre-schools, childminders etc.) After a year I then went to university(in my 40's) to qualify as a Social Worker. I did some adoption assessments around this time. This was followed by a temporary one year position of Inspecting care homes for the elderly after which I returned to Day Care.
Back in 2001 OFSTED took over the role of inspecting all these children's services and I became an Ofsted Inspector. In the last year before I retired I managed a small team of inspectors. That takes care of my working life for 50 years~ and yes I did start working at a very young age!!

2.Movies...
This is difficult because I don't have a favourite but there are memorable films that I really like~ here are a few:

Gone with the Wind
African Queen
Casablanca
I love all the musicals (old and new)
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
All the films where Sam has her name in credits (proud mum) won't name them!

3. Places where I lived ...
This is easy as I have not lived in very many places. I was born in Oxfordshire, moved to Gloucestershire when I was three lived in a village (small town) in 3 different houses. Moved to Bristol at the age of 18 and been here ever since living first in the nurses accommodation and then in, two flats (apartments) and three houses.

4. Series...
I do watch a few soaps, such as Home and Away, The Bill, Eastenders (but not regularly). I am currently watching 'Sense and Sensibility' 3 part drama. I like documentaries. Some cooking programmes I dip in and out of, I like consumer programmes and holiday and home location/makeovers (I like to dream).

5. My favourite food ...
Anything I haven't cooked or anything cooked by my girls, they are both good cooks in their own way. I suppose I'm pretty traditional because roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes with plenty of vegetables would be something I always enjoy.

6. My favourite websites ...
Blogger because it has given me so many friends.
Google because I can find out most information that I need, it's usually my first port of call!
Amazon because I can often find a bargain.

7. My favourite places ...
I would love to live near a beach that would be my idea of heaven, sun, sea, salt in the air. However I also love the country ( funny but I couldn't wait to leave when I was growing up~the grass is not always greener!) I love to be anywhere that my family are so I would also have to say Dublin and San Fransisco.

8. My favourite colour ...
There was a time when I would have said blue only. However, I now like all the ranges from deep pink through the purple range as well as blue. Currently I'm also into brown and beige colours.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*


Hint # 3

Removing coffee and tea stains
An equal mixture of salt and white vinegar will clean coffee and tea stains from china cups. ( I will be trying this on my mother cups~ green tea really does stain!!)

Cleaning Kettles
If you get lime deposits in your kettle, gently boil 150ml (1/4pt) of white vinegar in the water and rinse well. (I'm definitely going to try this as I spend a fortune on buying scale removers~ we have very hard water so deposits build up very quickly).

There are so many cleaning tips but I'm going to leave it there for today. In future think I might do these hints on one day a week~ I don't want you to get bored and not return.
Archives:
2006: No Archive

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 13/1/08 12:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice potted history Chris.

About the cups. Forget the salt as it might scratch the glaze. I fill my cups/beakers with hot water and add a teaspoon of white vinegar OR bleach and leave them over night. No rubbing.

I use a Spondex scourer on the lip of the cupsand on all non stick pans. works brilliantly and no scratches.

 
At 13/1/08 14:14, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hi grannymar I didn't think about salt scratching.

Spontex scourers are excellent I agree.

 
At 13/1/08 14:36, Blogger katy said...

i would so have loved to have lived in just a few different places, one day might just post about the many homes and areas i have lived in.
great post as usual chris

 
At 13/1/08 14:45, Blogger ChrisB said...

katy I think that sounds like an interesting post~ I should have tagged you!!

 
At 13/1/08 15:00, Blogger Alix said...

Very interesting to know more about you - I bet being an ofsted inspector was an interesting experience.
I would love to live deep in the country side one day.
I'm going to try the white vinegar thing sounds good.

 
At 13/1/08 15:10, Blogger ChrisB said...

alix~ working for Ofsted was a real eye-opener!!

 
At 13/1/08 16:18, Blogger Sandy said...

That was very interesting, Chris. Thanks for the history. Was it hard to go back to school at 40? I'm contemplating it at 50 but it's just been so many years!

 
At 13/1/08 16:44, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, your life sounds like so much more fun! I love that you were able to list all your jobs in such a small place and you have lived in so few places. Very cool.

 
At 13/1/08 17:11, Blogger Devon said...

I enjoyed your history list. I also like all of your vinegar tips!

I have some old tea cups with stains, I will have to try that one and see how they come out!

 
At 13/1/08 17:15, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sandy go for it. I was actually 45 and if I recall correctly the oldest on the course. I think the lower age was around 25. I was extremely nervous (previous studying had been 15yrs earlier) but I need not have worried because my work and life experience was invaluable especially for Social work. I don't know what you plan to do but I wish you luck.

lisa I think my life has been very narrow~ compared to what I read about some of the bloggers!

 
At 13/1/08 17:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love MeMe's...totallyl relate to all your movies.

Vinegar "douche" does not work on taking out skunk smell from boxers...and I'm talkin' dogs, not underwear.

 
At 13/1/08 17:47, Blogger Debs said...

Love the post :)

 
At 13/1/08 20:44, Blogger Steffi said...

Thank you to play this game too,Chris!It´s really interesting to read about you!Now I know you a little bit more!Thank you!

 
At 13/1/08 22:34, Blogger Kaytabug said...

Enjoyed reading more about you.
I will have to remember the coffee and tea stain tip, my Mom has lots of cups that need that cleaning! I think I will omit the salt though just in case.
I don't want to miss out on vinegar day!!

 
At 14/1/08 03:40, Blogger Alison said...

Hi Chris, Adoptions are different over here. We were interviewed by our social worker and we did have to have references. They only needed to send in letters of reference though.

I am enjoying all the vinegar tips!!

 
At 14/1/08 18:44, Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I am loving the vinegar tips!!! Definitely keep them up!

 
At 16/1/08 10:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, neat to learn these things about you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home