Saturday, December 08, 2007

My Mother is celebrating her Birthday


Today my mother is celebrating her 84th Birthday. This is taken from her wedding photo back in 1943. What you can't tell from this photo is that my mother had auburn hair which was a beautiful colour.

She had her birthday present from me back in October but I wanted to make her a surprise birthday cake. However have you ever tried making a cake without someone living in the house realising what you are doing. I can tell you it's likely to be a total disaster. My brother called and I asked him to keep her occupied but she kept wanting me to join them and come down to the kitchen. So what with running up and down every time she called (it's quite a way from the back of the house to the front) I managed to overcook the cake. Then it was secreting it away to cool and then getting up early to fill with cream and jam and decorate the top (it might seem a funny combination but it's sort of black forest gateau but with choc topping). I expect she has guessed but I have tried after last years fiasco of her wanting a 'proper cake' as in shop bought! and then being disappointed and wishing she had let me make one. I somehow think she might end up being disappointed again this year, but she can always fall back on the ginger cake my brother made for her!
When I finally presented her with the cake she was delighted and her first reaction was 'I must have my photo taken in my best clothes for your blog'!

PS While I was showering the gateau has been sampled and pronounced delicious and I'm pleased to say when cut it was light and did not appear overcooked~ what a relief!
Now I'm off to take her her to our local shopping Mall. Have a great weekend everyone.
Archives:
Date 8th 2006: Birthday Girl

Labels: , ,

27 Comments:

At 8/12/07 09:57, Blogger katy said...

Happy Birthday Chris's Mum, your cake looks lovely, enjoy your day x

 
At 8/12/07 10:11, Blogger Dea said...

Happy birthday to your Mum Chris! The cake looks gorgeous and she looks so surprised! I love the wedding photo!!! Have a lovely day!

 
At 8/12/07 10:28, Blogger my4kids said...

Happy Birthday to your Mum!!
She looks so happy with her cake!

 
At 8/12/07 10:48, Blogger willowtree said...

Happy Birthday Ms Cellania Snr.

You are lucky to have such a caring daughter.

 
At 8/12/07 14:01, Blogger laurie said...

those are two very gorgeous pictures!
happy birthday! enjoy your cake!

 
At 8/12/07 15:39, Blogger Alix said...

Happy Birthday Chris B's Mum. The cake looks wonderful, glad it tasted good too.
Have a lovely day

 
At 8/12/07 15:55, Blogger Misty said...

such a cute cake and your mother is beautiful! (and so blog supportive!)

 
At 8/12/07 16:11, Blogger Sam said...

ew - a secreting cake. What was it secreting? Chocolate molten lava I hope.

Happy Birthday to the best granny in the world, no contest, no arguments.

 
At 8/12/07 17:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAND-MUM

I think that cake looks delicious and your mom is cute as a button!


Dreaming What Ifs...

 
At 8/12/07 17:52, Blogger Sandy said...

Happy Birthday, Chris' Mum!

You were beautiful on your wedding day and you still are. May we all age as gracefully!

 
At 8/12/07 18:22, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Chrisb's Mum!!

 
At 8/12/07 19:29, Blogger alisonwonderland said...

her first reaction was 'I must have my photo taken in my best clothes for your blog'!

i love love love it! :)

happy birthday to your mum!

 
At 8/12/07 21:03, Blogger Sam said...

PS - on the phone earlier granny confessed to me she had snuck down and helped herself to another huge slice without anyone knowing. So I think you did a very good job!

 
At 8/12/07 21:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

karmyn from Sam's latest comment I guess it met with approval!


I would just like to say thank you to everyone for sending my mother Birthday Wishes. She really enjoys it when I blog about her and she gets comments.

 
At 9/12/07 02:41, Blogger Barbara said...

Happy birthday Granny Cellania. You are the same age as my Mum. You look lovely in your best clothes.
Great job on the cake Chris.

 
At 9/12/07 02:49, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Chris, your mom was and is a lovely woman! It's great that she supports your blogging too. :) Thanx Chris' mom for posing for the lovely photo! That cake looks delish.

PS Happy, happy, birthday. :) XOX

 
At 9/12/07 05:16, Blogger Kila said...

Aww, I loved this post, and then the photo made me cry (in a good way). I hope she enjoyed her birthday!

 
At 9/12/07 05:33, Blogger Emily Main said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom! She looks ridiculously thrilled in that picture, proudly displaying the cake you made with (lots of) love (no doubt). I love that she had you take a picture of of herself with the cake. Too funny.

 
At 9/12/07 08:38, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara, kila and lisa I'll pass on good wishes thank you.

emilypie thanks for dropping in. My mum has her friend visit every Saturday so she was particularly pleased to be able to offer her home made cake.

 
At 9/12/07 18:57, Blogger Steffi said...

Happy birthday to your mum,Chris!The pictures are very lovely!

 
At 9/12/07 19:16, Blogger Sam said...

Fred just took a look at the picture and it made him smile a lot and he said granny is really cute.

 
At 9/12/07 21:14, Blogger Pamela said...

that is so lovely!!!
I'm lazy. I would have snuck out and bought an ice-cream cake.
NO BAKING!!!

Tell you mom Happy Returns of the Day!!!

 
At 10/12/07 03:38, Blogger frannie said...

Happy birthday!!!

and cake and mom are both beautiful!!

 
At 10/12/07 15:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks lovely chris! and enidd so enjoyed meeting you and our lunch at pres a vi. she hopes you return to san francisco soon.

 
At 10/12/07 16:11, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

Happy Birthday to your mum, Chris!
She was (and is) a lovely lady.
The cake sounds wonderful! ;)


Lisa

 
At 10/12/07 20:36, Blogger ChrisB said...

enidd I think they've had enough of me for another 5 yrs!

pamela I wouldn't dare do that!


I have passed on all the birthday wishes so big thank you to everyone.

 
At 10/12/07 20:39, Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

That is the cutest pic!!! Happy Birthday Chris B's mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home