Monday, December 03, 2007

Fun Monday # 44



Robinella is hosting this week and see how thoughtful she is wanting to make this one easy for us. She says "Since it’s December and most of us are starting to decorate and make things colorful, I too wanted to make things colorful. And lastly, because we are bloggers and consider what we post to be down right hilarious or informative or brainy and we like to showcase ourselves, I wanted to let you do just that!

Take a moment in this last month of 2007 to reflect on the past year. Okay? Done? Now…

In honor of exhaustion, color and self-love, I present you with this week’s assignment. I want you to dig through your blog files and show us your best effort. Why you consider it your best is up to you. C’mon, you know you have a favorite - show it to me one more time".


When I looked back over the last year I realise that none of my post are really memorable, no bad language, funny or embarrassing stories. So I have opted for the little video that I took back in June 2007 of one my tortoises laying eggs well this did come after all the sex, which I didn't photograph!!! Now I know many of you will have seen this so that means you don't need to watch it again and you can pass on to the next story...

A Tortoise Tale
For those of you who read my bog regularly you will recall I have written about my tortoises very regularly. I have also told you what a 'casanova' Tom is and how his aim in life is to have his wicked way with the two females. His preference recently has been the youngest 'Tog' and she is sometimes receptive to his advances but more often than not she spends her time running away from him, hiding under the ramp to their house. I have returned home a couple of times recently to find Tom on his back waving his legs in the air unable to turn himself over. Knowing it was his own fault for being a bit amourous and eager (well a girl likes to be wooed) I was tempted to leave him- no I wouldn't be that cruel- would I!!
I guessed that Tog was carrying eggs as for the last week she has been trying to dig holes all around the lawn to find a suitable spot to deposit them. I arrived home this morning to see she had found the ideal spot and was actually in the process of laying her eggs. I rushed in the house to grab my camera, which has a movie facility and took this little bit of film. It's not terribly good (I use it so rarely that I forgot to give a commentary and no chance of a re-run!!) but for those who have little knowledge of tortoises you might be interested and it's a good nature lesson for children. The eggs will not hatch because the conditions in this country are not right. I have in the past tried to incubate without success as I do not have the right equipment which is quite expensive to buy. You will probably recall how much the vet bill cost for Topsy earlier this year. Of course if I could have hatched them, the sale would more than cover the vet bill!! In case you are wondering I think there were 7 eggs.

Just in case anyone is remotely interested in past post that include the tortoises:
weigh in
visit to the country
on a clear day
See you all later
Archives:

December 3rd 2006: I did Sam's challenge

Labels: , ,

36 Comments:

At 3/12/07 09:55, Blogger Unknown said...

I love tortoises:). And I missed this before, so it was a pleasure seeing it now!

 
At 3/12/07 12:27, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

I remember this, thanks for sharing Chris!

Lisa

 
At 3/12/07 12:48, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. I really liked this post, especially the video! Too bad the poor eggs never hatch :(

 
At 3/12/07 13:27, Blogger Sandy said...

I had not seen this (don't know how I missed it) so thanks for sharing this.

Poor torti!

 
At 3/12/07 13:32, Blogger Alix said...

That was wonderful Chris, so interesting! What a shame there won't be any baby tortoises.

 
At 3/12/07 14:39, Blogger Beckie said...

I remember this one - I liked it a lot!

 
At 3/12/07 14:50, Blogger Steffi said...

Really nice video!I like your tortoises.

 
At 3/12/07 15:54, Blogger Pamela said...

before I even clicked on you I KNEW it would be this post. It generated so much interest (especially me!)

 
At 3/12/07 16:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't see this the first time around. Love the "turtle/tortoise."
Can you explain the difference?

Swampy's Blog

 
At 3/12/07 16:54, Blogger Dea said...

You're right Chris, that was a great post. My 3 year old still talks about them! ;-)

I've just caught up on your USA trip. Wow! You certainly had some amazing experiences. Glad you had a lovely time and are home safe!

 
At 3/12/07 17:07, Blogger Jenny, the Bloggess said...

That is so awesome!

 
At 3/12/07 17:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a great post! I think it was so cool.


Dreaming What Ifs...

 
At 3/12/07 18:27, Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

That is so cool. I've never seen anything like that before.

Thanks!

 
At 3/12/07 18:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for about a year now and I had no clue you had tortoises until now!! (I must be living under a rock.)

http://anticsofacrazymom.typepad.com

 
At 3/12/07 19:50, Blogger A Slice of My Life said...

How awesome that you got home just in time and were able to see this (although it says the video is no longer available...I think that's a blogger issue though)

Susan at A Slice of Life

 
At 3/12/07 20:18, Blogger laurie said...

oh, this is a very cool post!

there are big tortoises in the lake in the park near our house, and i had the privilege of watching one lay eggs a few springs ago. it was fascinating! the eggs drop out like tears--they're soft, at first--and then they round-up and firm up after they're in the nest.

i love this post!

 
At 3/12/07 20:50, Blogger Tiggerlane said...

That is absolutely FASCINATING...and tortoises aren't really the mothering type, are they?

 
At 3/12/07 20:51, Blogger ~ej said...

i love your tortoises! and that egg laying video was awesome (then and again) :-)

 
At 3/12/07 21:27, Blogger Bren said...

Very cool! My 6 year old watched it twice!

 
At 3/12/07 22:10, Blogger junebug said...

That is definitely something I have never seen, not even on tv! I kept thinking that foot was going to tear the eggs. :D

 
At 3/12/07 22:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never seen that before. Too sad no babies. But a very cool post. Nekked Lizards

 
At 3/12/07 22:42, Blogger willowtree said...

Ah yes, the David Attenborough post, I remember it well.

I just realised that when I first read it I was still on dial up, so this is the first time I've seen the video. I'm glad you chose this one.

 
At 3/12/07 23:26, Blogger Kaytabug said...

My mouth is still wide open! That is so cool! I am so sad that you cant turn those into babies!! I heart tortoises.

 
At 3/12/07 23:31, Blogger Amanda said...

I have two tortoises too (Fred & Peggy)....except, now that I'm 'wiser' I think their terapins. AND, I thought I bought a male and female but it turns out now that they are BOTH male. I haven't changed their names though....

Great post!

 
At 4/12/07 00:40, Blogger Unknown said...

I never watched that video. How cool! Have you had eggs hatch before or since?

 
At 4/12/07 01:05, Blogger Jenni said...

Very interesting! I think I'll have to come back later and read more of the tortoise posts. I'm very curious about this. We had a red eared slider for a while, but it ran away. People laugh when I say that, but it is true!

 
At 4/12/07 01:19, Blogger the planet of janet said...

that's an amazing clip! wow!

too bad they won't hatch. that's very sad.

 
At 4/12/07 03:06, Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't know you had tortoises. I hope one day you get the equipment necessary to hatch the eggs!

 
At 4/12/07 04:13, Blogger Ami said...

That was just awesome!
I never saw it the first time, so it was a treat.

Too bad the eggs won't hatch.

 
At 4/12/07 05:12, Blogger Dawn said...

That is so cool. I have not seen that before, and our 13 year old who wants to be a vet enjoyed it as well. She got hermit crabs for her birthday. Too bad they won't hatch, after all the momma went through. Great post to replay.

 
At 4/12/07 05:42, Blogger Gattina said...

With blogging I become more intelligent every day ! I didn't know anything about the love life of turtles and in the little video I first thought she counts her eggs until another one dropped out. How lucky you were to have been able to film it !

 
At 4/12/07 06:50, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I must remember to show this to Saoirse! Great choice.

 
At 4/12/07 07:52, Blogger Peter said...

A Popular choice.

 
At 4/12/07 12:57, Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

Ahhh how sweet. She's so careful with them. It's so sad they won't hatch, but your tortoises are lovely.

 
At 4/12/07 16:19, Blogger Robinella said...

What great timing for you. Too bad they wouldn't hatch.

 
At 5/12/07 17:22, Blogger Unknown said...

Chrisb, Very interesting post, I hadn't seen it before, and throughly enjoyed reading it.

~Christine
www.arewethereyetmom.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home