Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Visiting



Despite being October it was another warm sunny day which made visiting my brother, David, all the more enjoyable as we were able to sit in the sun over looking his fishpond and vegetable garden. The cat appeared recently and has adopted David. He has called it Tigger and it is gradually becoming quite friendly as you can see.


I won't dwell on the fact there was an occasional waft from the manure which a local farmer delivers to the field behind his house as it does help produce good crops of vegetables. David has lived here for three years and as you can see his house is called Rusty Hinges but he has never discovered the origin of the name..

Anyone who read yesterday's post will know that I took him a lemon drizzle cake but before I reveal what else I took I will give you a clue it took a long time chopping this.











The recipe came from a recipe book of my grandmother from Gloucestershire Woman's Institute












This was published in 1939 and cost 1 shilling the equivalent of 5 pence today. It is a fascinating book with lots of economical recipes including wine recipes such as Elderflower Champagne (Sam do I recall you mentioning this). I also now remember that I adapted the lemon squash recipe to make Lime Squash back in the 1960's. Anyway I digress; I had four recipes to choose from and decided on the simplest and this is the end result. The label is difficult to read but its Green Tomato Chutney and is very simple to make.
1 lb raisins
1.5 lbs demerara sugar
1 lb onions
1.5 lbs green tomatoes (picked from our garden)
1.5 lbs apples (I used Bramleys )
1 level dessert spoon ground ginger
2 pints vinegar and pinch salt
Cut up ingredients and boil until nice brown 2 or 3 hours. I have to say it took longer than that to reduce but that could be me overdoing it. It made approx 5-6 lbs.

While I was there I went to visit a neighbour's animals but I'll save those photos for another time.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4/10/06 21:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool.
please send me the elderflower champagne recipe?

Did Uncle David charge you for the photos you took of him and then posted on the net?????

 
At 4/10/06 21:48, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hi Sam I don't think he thought about that. I have been having real trouble with my blog tonight. The photos keep changing to icons and this has happened on lots of the previous posts. Do you know what I have done ? or is this something to do with showing me new style windows?

 
At 5/10/06 09:10, Blogger Beccy said...

Chutney will also travel well in a suitcase!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home