Thursday, September 28, 2006

Party Time

As you may have gathered I have just retired. Well to be accurate I officially retire from 1st Oct so these past 3 weeks I have technically been holiday. So to mark the occasion I decided to invite some of the people that I had worked with over the years to drop in for lunch yesterday. Unfortunately not everyone was able to come but I was able to catch up with quite a few people, some of whom, I had not seen for a number of years. How come I look old and wrinkly but not those who retired some time ago. May be you get younger once the stress of working leaves you- I can live in hope.
Unlike my daughters I am not a brilliant cook, I had lots of suggestions from Sam's blogging friends, but I largely chickened out in case I messed up things not tried and tested before hand. That doesn't mean your efforts have been in vain as I will be trying things out on hubby (Mike) in the future. He is actually a diabetic so I do have to be careful.

I was up at the crack of dawn, well 6am, to start cooking as most things could not be done in advance. Four hours later after making 3 quiches, having a disaster making the filling for 'Gateau Dianne', I won't go into the details but it included opening the fridge and dropping half a pint of orgainc cream over the floor so it was lucky I always buy more than I really need. What I don't know now now is if organic cream is superior as we never got to taste it ( merangues for this dessert were prepared in advance). The end result looked passable and everyone was very complimentary.

Last year, when I was staying with my daughter Beccy (who lives in Dublin), her sister-in-law, Fiona invited us for lunch and one of the salads she prepared was so delicious I decided to give it a try from memory. Basically wild rocket tossed in Balsamic dressing with mozzarella cheese and plums. This was popular.


The organic fruit salad was nice and refreshing and enjoyed by all.

I want to say a big thank you to my 3 friends, Valerie (and her small daughter), Tina and Sue who came and helped with the preparations. I could not have got everything ready in time without them. They chopped fruit and veg, prepared fish, attractively arranged the various platters and helped set the tables. (now why didn't I think to photograph them at work that would have been good).

My friend, Bridget orgainsed the drinks as people arrived, so thank you to Bridget ( and thank you and John for the lovely necklace and bracelet, I shall enjoy wearing them).


I had lots of lovely flowers thank you everyone.






Thank you Mike for the wine, and Margaret for the champagne (my favourite tipple now am going to share it!!. The necklace is very unusual I tried to photograph it but could not do it justice.)

A few random snaps:


Nigel, Sue, Margaret


Debbie, Peter, Bridget



















Don't Sue and Flo look happy both retired recently. Central photo shows Sue, Flo, Me, Kay and Valerie. Dawn other

A big thank you to all who came to celebrate with me and made this a memorable day. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. xx

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 28/9/06 21:31, Blogger Beccy said...

Hey Mun great post, wish I'd been there but it's fun reading about your party. One question: why is the cream on the gateaux dianne white? It should be chocolate coloured! Did you add 300g melted milk chocolate?

 
At 28/9/06 21:32, Blogger Beccy said...

I mean Mum!

 
At 28/9/06 21:33, Blogger Beccy said...

Also lovely necklace and bracelet, I'll be able to borrow them next time I'm over

 
At 28/9/06 21:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Becs I assure you its got choc coloured filling it just doesn't show the layers in this photo

 
At 29/9/06 03:20, Blogger Sam said...

I guess it will be my turn to make gateau diane next.

I am sure you will get google hits for mentioning that.

the jewellery does indeed look pretty.

good job with the food blog direction in which you appear to be going.

I like it.

did you at least make the salmon sticks?

sam

 
At 29/9/06 07:41, Blogger Beccy said...

Did you not put a layer of cream on top?

 
At 29/9/06 08:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Becs I told you I needed more instructions, I wondered why I had extra cream forgot it needed a top layer now I feel a failure.
Sam yes the salmon sticks were also very popular I had meant to mention that.

 
At 29/9/06 13:18, Blogger Beccy said...

Don't feel a failure I'm sure it tasted yummy. What did you do with the extra cream? You could always make little mini meringues to eat with it.

 
At 30/9/06 01:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sam's mom! I'm so thrilled to see you starting a blog! This post was funny, it made me laugh out loud, so I guess that both cooking and writing well must run in the family.

 
At 30/9/06 03:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Sam's Mum! You've got me thinking I should get on my own mother to start a blog. :)

Your retirement party looked lovely; I look forward to reading your future posts!

 
At 30/9/06 04:46, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Hello, Sam's Mum!
Congratulations on the retirement. You are so organized, you already have plans in place for your next stage of life. Brava.
Fantastic that you threw your own party. The food looks terrific, and I think you DID pass on some culinary talents to your daughters.
Come on over to my blog and take a peek at Bean Sprout.
xx

 
At 30/9/06 05:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and welcome to blogging. Congrats on your retirement. The food looks fabulous. I can see you'll see be entering all the blogging challenges. I'm sure Sams cooking talents have come from you.

 
At 30/9/06 08:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen's mom here..non-blogging mom of a blogger. I admire you for this new commitment. Congratulations on this retirement/ transition. What fun. I have met Sam and I am in awe of her talents. The photo she posted a while back of your earlier you is memorable. Now we have words to attach to this vision. Cheers!

 
At 30/9/06 12:30, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hello Everyone thank you for all the encouagement with my new venture:

Catherine hope you will drop in again.

Maria I would say encourage your mother its good fun.

Cookiecrumb I expect you will see have been over to look at that cute little dog.

Barbara I'm not sure I'm up tp blogging challenges- well not just yet!!

Jen's mom now what about joining me and that might also encourage Maria's mother.

I hope you will all drop by again Chris (Sam's mum)

 
At 30/9/06 16:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mum!

tell them all you got it from me and Beccy not vica versa!

Aside from a Sunday roast that it.

Sam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home