Monday, July 20, 2009

Postcard from Connemara for Fun Monday #125

Our hostess this week is Mariposa she says

Let's talk about TEARS. What images spring to mind when you hear the word ‘tears’? Have you ever had tears of laughter and tears of joy? When was the last time you had tears of joy? Tears of laughter? Tell us about it!

Well I'm actually on holiday staying with my youngest daughter this week so I'm slightly bending the rules. We are having a lot of fun and one of the things we did was a ride on the beach at Cleggan in Connemara. We woke up to rain on Saturday morning and began to wonder what we had let ourselves in for but it did clear sufficiently for the duration of the ride. I haven't ridden for a few years and we had to be assessed to show we could control a horse by trotting and cantering in a ring. As you can see Beccy looks happy enough on Rocky.

I suppose you want to see me on my horse, Tom, just prove I really did the ride. This is the beach and we rode across to Omey Island which you can only do at low tide.
Afterwards I was so stiff and sore the tears I could have shed would not have been tears of joy. Nevertheless a beach ride has been on my bucket list so I would not have missed it for the world. Sadly I do now realise that my riding days are over as the old joints are no longer supple enough.

Archives:
2008: A Partisan's Daughter
2007: Gifts from France

Labels: , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At 20/7/09 18:04, Anonymous Hootin' Anni said...

Excellent post. Tears of pain. Ya, I think we've all experienced that before, but look at it this way, you can mark this off your bucket list with 'tears of joy' that you did it!!!!

Happy fun Monday

 
At 20/7/09 18:13, Blogger Sayre said...

What a neat thing to have on your bucket list! And you DID it! I do know how much riding a horse (or a bike) again after a long break can hurt. I am not looking forward to a new case of bike-butt once I'm back on my saddle!

 
At 20/7/09 18:21, Blogger ChrisB said...

Anni I agree with you about the 'tears of joy' it's a great feeling to be crossing things off the bucket list.

Sayre I haven't ridden my bike for a couple of years (or maybe more) and I have a weekend coming up where that will be the mode of transport so fingers crossed I've recovered by then!

 
At 20/7/09 18:57, Anonymous wendishness said...

OMG that would've been fantastic, I did a beach ride years ago when I was still in my teens and loved it!

 
At 20/7/09 19:29, Blogger Jan n Jer said...

wow that is really something, it looks like fun. I hear you about tears of pain...I've had lots of those. Its great that you are doing things on your bucket list.

 
At 20/7/09 19:55, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Oh what fun, I now have visions of you galloping along the beach at full speed, with you hanging on to the horses neck screaming at the top of your voice LOL

x

 
At 20/7/09 20:54, Blogger Beccy said...

It was loads of fun so I for one am glad it was on your bucket list!

 
At 20/7/09 21:36, Anonymous Karmyn R said...

What a fun thing! However, I'd probably be having tears of "freak-out" because I am not too fond of horses. (yes, they scare me a little)

 
At 20/7/09 21:44, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I once learned a fiddle piece called Connemara Stockings, but I forget it now.

 
At 20/7/09 23:09, Blogger Faye said...

Aren't you a loyal Fun Mondayer Chris to post while you're on holiday. Love your "postcard." Are there stables nearby where you rent horses for the day's ride? And what breed(is that right?) are they. Our Kentucky racing thoroughbreds don't have hairy ankles! Enjoy your visit.

 
At 20/7/09 23:31, Blogger karisma said...

Wow! I think even I might brave a horse again to make that ride! And Im not so sure its your "old" bones causing the pain, more likely that they are just out of practice!

 
At 21/7/09 00:49, Blogger Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Tears of pain...had that!

Thanks for joining... ;)

 
At 21/7/09 11:20, Blogger Barbara said...

Congrats Chris on achieving the horse ride on the beach. I'd be too afraid to ride a horse.

 
At 21/7/09 18:09, Blogger Sam said...

If you can remember, you *did* have the opportunity to ride across a more temperate Californian beach when you were a couple of years younger and it wouldn't have been as sore on your bones, but you turned down the chance.

 
At 22/7/09 05:34, Anonymous Kila said...

Enjoyed your photos!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home