Monday, October 15, 2007

Fun Monday # 37


Janet is our gracious host this week. She took a vote and this is is the assignement:

Describe your meeting with your spouse/significant other. I especially want to hear "meet cute" stories. And it doesn't have to be your actual current sig/other. Perhaps the "meet cute" story is a former boy/girlfriend... or even a best friend. Illustrate with photos, of course.


I'm very decisive so After much umming and ahhing you are going to learn how I met EmBee and it's not at all 'cute' but it's what you are going to get. If you want cute you can pass on this and move to the next story!!

Why am I posting a picture of tennis players. There's no romance in that I hear you say~ well let me tell you I have seen a lot of hanky-panky at tennis clubs!!! Well it's really a clue to where we first met. Not actually at the tennis club where this picture was taken. This was taken a few years later at an annual August tournament that we entered. See if you can find the whole family. By the way for those who may not have seen any pictures of my dog. That is Tamsie in the front (much loved and long gone to doggie heaven). As usual I digress so back to the story.

Back in 1973 a friend of mine persuaded me to join a local tennis club. Little did I know that tennis would soon become my saviour when a few months later my husband left me for a trollop someone else. Over that summer very sadly there were three other people (2 male and 1 female) at the tennis club who were also left high and dry by their respective partners (oddly all our surnames began with 'B').
I became quite friendly with Margaret and she even came and worked with me in my playgroup. I can see you thinking nice and convenient, I did actually partner and win the club mixed doubles with Norman (absolutely no romance), he was a good tennis player so I was able to stand on court, hitting the odd ball, while he did all the work. Margaret actually quite fancied Embee and she used to try and get into sets with him and we did try and set them up.

However, he didn't seem to take the bait and one Sunday he arrived on my doorstep, clutching a bunch of .......no not flowers.........rhubarb !!! I though very kind and invited him in for a cup of coffee. My two little darlings were very friendly towards him and I think they drew him pictures. They really did enjoy having some male company. After this it became a bit of a joke with my step- father, who used to call him 'the rhubarb man'.

To cut a long story short Embee wanted somewhere to take his daughter and my girls enjoyed trips out so he used to take them out while I was working as a private nurse. He was quite persistent and I did go out on dates and he gradually wheedled his way in became a part of our lives. So no great romance but a friendship that blossomed and when Embee sold his house he moved in with us. We finally got married in 1978. So next year will be our Pearl Anniversary~ just an early reminder Embee as I know you will be reading this!!
Sam was already practising early photographic skills as she took this picture on one of our early holidays.
Same holiday Embee's a big kid and gets in on the fun.
Wait is that Daniel Craig emerging from the sea and talking to Sam!!! Lets take a closer look... sorry to disappoint you........ swimming trunks were all like that back in the 70's!!


PS if you want to see the Wedding Photo it's posted here
Archives:.
October 15th 2006: No archive

Labels: , , ,

45 Comments:

At 15/10/07 10:12, Blogger Beccy said...

I don't remember dad that thin.

 
At 15/10/07 10:13, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy the camera never lies!!

 
At 15/10/07 11:29, Blogger Sayre said...

Friendships that catch fire are the best!!!!!

 
At 15/10/07 12:14, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Dad, thin? Cameras? No wait...that's comments and not the blog entry. [just kidding] Love the story, I really enjoyed it. And since you had part of this in your blog entry today, your dog was beautiful, I can still 'hear' the love and devotion you had for your best FURend. But, how Embee wormed his way into your life was a sweet story. Really. And the wedding photo....beautiful bride.

 
At 15/10/07 12:32, Blogger Dea said...

Awesome pictures Chris and what a lovely story! Congrats on your upcoming anniversary!

 
At 15/10/07 12:35, Blogger katy said...

a lovely story and a beautiful family

 
At 15/10/07 14:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story and pictures!

 
At 15/10/07 14:07, Blogger Unknown said...

Rhubarb? The key to a woman's heart. I think friendships turning into romance are really long lasting. Cause when the romance cools a bit, you always have that strong friendship.

 
At 15/10/07 14:14, Blogger FH said...

Beautiful pics Chris! Most of us forget to take photos as we get busy.These shows how important they are!:))
Happy Monday!

 
At 15/10/07 14:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bouquet of rhubarb? Classic.

Great pictures and I love Embee's plaid pants.

 
At 15/10/07 14:38, Blogger Robinella said...

I'm glad #2 worked out for you. I think friends make the best mates.

 
At 15/10/07 14:49, Blogger Sandy said...

Razzy Bailey used to have a song, "Who makes better lovers than friends?". You and Embee are proof of the truth. Great story.

 
At 15/10/07 15:03, Blogger Alix said...

Lovely story and great pictures.

 
At 15/10/07 15:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like that trollop did you a favor as it looks like you've ended up with a wonderful life.

But how about a picture of the rhubarb? I haven't a clue what it looks like......

 
At 15/10/07 15:57, Blogger ChrisB said...

sayre, lisa, alix thank you for your nice comments

hootin'anni tamsie was my baby she died just before she reached 14yr!

deborah I'm often in Dublin around that time so I'd better mak esur eth edates don't clash!

her indoors sometimes it would be nice to turn the clock back to those early days!


AFF and Nikki we often laugh about the rhubarb.

asha I love to take photos so Have quite a collection.

robinella embee thinks I have no romance in my soul, it took me a long time to heal the wounds left by #1.

sandy we've had a few rocky patches I can tell you.

blue momma I think I posted a picture of my current rhubarb plants earlier in the season on my photo blog. It has now finished until next year.
Now had I been clever enough I would have made my rhubarb into this http://www.nordljus.co.uk/en/rhubarb-and-custard

 
At 15/10/07 16:09, Blogger Unknown said...

Great tale and pictures!

Happy pearl anniversary! xx

 
At 15/10/07 16:18, Blogger Pamela said...

that is so funny beccy....

Chrisb!~ a lovely story.
and happy anniversary.

 
At 15/10/07 16:52, Blogger sallywrites said...

What a lovely story. And don't your girls look like you?!

Great photos too. i love "holidays past".

 
At 15/10/07 17:01, Blogger Sam said...

sally. don't ever say that ! you know how much daughters don't like to hear it!

 
At 15/10/07 17:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the best relationships start out as good friendships!

(laughing at beccy's comment)

 
At 15/10/07 17:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is to sweet.. just depends on what you define as sweet i guess;)

 
At 15/10/07 18:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! I can't help but wonder how it wouldn've turned out if he had shown up with flowers instead of rubarb. Rubarb is so...unthreatening!

 
At 15/10/07 18:37, Blogger Beckie said...

Friendship - that is the best kind of romance. To me anyway - I am so doggone practical.

Love the pictures - I guess I need to dig through some old film photos and do some scanning.

 
At 15/10/07 19:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a sweet and fun story,chris! Great photos! Giving you Rhubarb, worked, that would definetly get my attention!! :)
I remember my great-grandmother made the best homemade rhubarb pie.
And that's wonderful he took the girls places.
Sounds like you two are a perfect match!!

 
At 15/10/07 19:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sweet and love that he brought you rhubarb. I know. I'm weird. But I love practical not gushy. Great photos!

 
At 15/10/07 19:36, Blogger my4kids said...

Aw I like the story of the Rhubarb man.

 
At 15/10/07 20:01, Blogger Tiggerlane said...

The plaid pants - I think BOTH my mom and dad had some of those! I think best friends is what ALL spouse-relationships should be...for sure!

 
At 15/10/07 21:44, Blogger ~ej said...

all that and the rhubard man too....lovely story...friendship should always come first :-)

 
At 15/10/07 21:45, Blogger ~ej said...

haha, rhubarb even.....i must remember to spell check once in a while...
cute photos btw....forgot that as well...

 
At 16/10/07 00:58, Blogger Unknown said...

Did he cringe when he saw the photo of himself on the beach? I wanted to post a photo of my hubby from the time we met but knew he would hate it. He hates having his photo taken. :)

 
At 16/10/07 03:04, Blogger willowtree said...

You're lucky you were able to marry EmBee, in some countries those pants of his are considered illegal, with possible jail time!

 
At 16/10/07 03:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a fun story, and I remember reading about Tamsie awhile back. A tennis club really sounds hoity toity, so boring it is not. Thanks for sharing your story.

 
At 16/10/07 04:23, Blogger Peter said...

If you want to spice it up a bit you can borrow my first story any time you want.

 
At 16/10/07 04:26, Blogger frannie said...

I think it's cute!

 
At 16/10/07 04:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to give him credit for being unique by giving you rhubarb instead of flowers. Glad to hear it worked out great in the end.

 
At 16/10/07 04:57, Blogger theotherbear said...

Great story - I loved the wedding photo!

 
At 16/10/07 05:00, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

That was a great love story. I think the ones that start out as friendship are the best sort.

 
At 16/10/07 07:04, Blogger Sam said...

Seriously. I never for one second imagined my parents ever had a love story AND this is the first time I have heard about the rhubarb which I understand is perceived as phallic in some circles.

 
At 16/10/07 16:16, Blogger Kaytabug said...

I love your story! The photos were lovely! Rhubarb would be one way to my heart! Congrats on 29 years together!!

 
At 16/10/07 19:38, Blogger kitten said...

This was really great hearing how all met their other half. I guess you are right, but I have always been unigue.

 
At 17/10/07 01:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's not cute about rhubarb? Or romantic? Well, if nothing else, it's VERY memorable.

Who cares if this isn't cute exactly? It's a sweet story of love and friendship...and it has stood the test of time.

Lovely, Chris. :)

 
At 17/10/07 02:22, Blogger Molly said...

A friendship that blossoms is the best kind. From your story and your other posts, I can tell that the friendship and the love is still blooming.

(I think that my husband wore the same plaid pants in the 70's)

 
At 17/10/07 02:32, Blogger Molly said...

I forgot to mention "that anyone who brings you rhubarb has to be a great guy."

 
At 18/10/07 21:00, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Those pants were definitely 70s. I know; I was there.

 
At 21/10/07 22:30, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam how could you forget the rhubarb!

robin memorable indeed!

mjd a lot more practical than flowers and I was a hard up single parent at the time.

AC they were very fashionable at the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home