Friday, October 05, 2007

Le Creuset

For a long time now I have been wanting a large Le Creuset pan. Everytime I go to the shops I linger longingly, looking at various colours and then I look at the price and move on. To be fair EmBee has offered to but me one but I don't quite feel that I can justify the cost because the real reason I want it is for making No Knead Bread. You may remember this bread was all the rage this time last year. I kept seeing pictures of this delicous looking bread popping up on lots of the blogs I read. Having tasted Beccy's and seen the photos of Sam's I wanted to get in on the act. Time has passed and when I happened to mention to Sam that I still wished I had a Le Creuset I couldn't believe my ears when she said "I've got two stored in your loft". Whaaaat ..... all this time I could have borrowed one of these pans and I didn't even remember there was one in the house!!

Just for those who don't know the history....
When Sam moved to the states we packed up most of the content of her London flat into boxes and brought it down here and stored it in our loft and in bedrooms. I'm not sure but there must be twenty plus boxes full of Sam's memories. This is after all the things we shipped out to her.


Sam and Fred went up into the loft and found the Le Creuset pans and a few of other things she wanted to take back with her (together with her new wardrobe this was enough for an extra bag). BUT she decided that I could have the large Le Creuset pan and she would have the small one. It's not my favourite colour as it's green but I'm not complaining and you are now wondering if I've made the bread yet!

The answer is no but I have used it, first to make chicken stock which then became a tasty chicken vegetable soup and here are the photos to prove it.
I will be making the bread in the near future and when I do I'll be sure to let you know how I get on

Archives:
October 5th 2006: Animal Farm

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

At 5/10/07 10:16, Blogger willowtree said...

You did well.

 
At 5/10/07 11:16, Blogger katy said...

love the smell of fresh home made bread and love the taste too, so get making and and be sure to send me some too lol

 
At 5/10/07 12:42, Blogger FH said...

My first red Le Creuset pot was bought in UK and I still have it! Since then I have bought two more, blue and yellow, love cooking with them.Enjoy your's.They are still expensive!!
I have to try that no knead bread too, EVERYBODY is baking that too!:)
Love to see it here Chris.

 
At 5/10/07 13:07, Blogger Beccy said...

The bread would taste nice with that soup.

 
At 5/10/07 13:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it is fair to tell everyone that I did not offer to but or butt one as they are made of metal, however if I was sure of my colours and Chris was sure of her sizes she would have had one by now. The one she has is a comparitively small one, I would have bought the large one!!! Love

 
At 5/10/07 13:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you, I've wanted one for ages!

 
At 5/10/07 14:56, Blogger Steffi said...

Fresh home made bread that´s really good!
Have a nice weekend!

 
At 5/10/07 15:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a fabulous pot! I want one now! I'm such a sucker for kitchen stuff. I can almost smell your soup over here.

 
At 5/10/07 16:10, Blogger Sandy said...

My mom and sister both have LeCreuset cookware. I guess I should say that mom did. As she got older and the arthritis got worse, she couldn't lift the suckers! It is great cookware, though. Enjoy.

 
At 5/10/07 17:05, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT you're right I did I'm even wondering if I will buy another when I'm in the states.

her indoors I warn you I'm not that good a cook. But if mine turns out anything like the bread my daughters made I shall be happy.

asha you have the pan so you must give it a try.

beccy it would go perfectly with the soup but no time currently ( that's my excuse)!

embee you never know I might need an extra pan!!!

nikki I wish I could redesign my kitchen and have some new stuff. I love looking in kitchen shops and dreaming!!

myanderings the weight is the downside to le creuset, luckily I'm OK at the moment. But it would be far too heavy for my mum to use.

 
At 5/10/07 17:56, Blogger SJINCO said...

Homemade bread is the best, I absolutely love the smell!

I'll have to check these pots out!

 
At 5/10/07 18:09, Blogger Sabrina said...

oooh. ..i'm no cook but i certainly appreciate fine cookware. and what a bargain!!! gives no meaning to "shopping in my closet"!!!

 
At 5/10/07 18:32, Blogger Unknown said...

We have an Orange Le Creuset. Dad uses it for stews!

 
At 5/10/07 19:02, Blogger Unknown said...

I've been wanting to buy Le Creuset too, but can't bring myself to pay those prices!

(I'm kinda liking the green, btw)

 
At 5/10/07 20:06, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

They'll have to bury me with my Le Creuset. Hm. Or maybe they'll cremate me and bury me IN my Le Creuset.
All you people who want one, think: you will use it every day. The net cost of its use over its lifetime will be, what a dime per day? (You have dimes in England? It's 10 cents.)

 
At 5/10/07 20:17, Blogger Beckie said...

I have been wanting a pan like that for a long time. I would even take green.

Lovely!

 
At 5/10/07 21:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Le Creuset in my kitchen, but I do love my Calphalon. Just wish it came in all of the pretty colors, too!

Oh, I do have a Le Creuset silicone whisk in lovely white!

 
At 6/10/07 02:32, Blogger frannie said...

I covet you pan! you are lucky-- green or no. :)

 
At 6/10/07 02:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SWEET! Whenever I walk into the kitchen stores, those pans call to me in all their bright lovely colors.

You need to start searching the rest of Sam's boxes for more cooking goodies!

 
At 6/10/07 04:29, Blogger Pamela said...

The pan would be wasted on me, I'm sure.
I'd love a bowl of that soup, though.

 
At 6/10/07 13:42, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Everyone really kneads a good pan.

 
At 6/10/07 14:09, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. Ahhh after all that time, and it was in your loft. Fancy that... very generous of sam to let you have it. I have to say, I the Le Creuset was the first thing I packed to bring to Ukraine, and I use it all the time. It's good for risottos.

 
At 6/10/07 21:30, Blogger Sam said...

little miss moi - don't worry - i did bring my favourite le creuset with me years ago to the USA. (That was the time Virgin stuck a 'heavy' sticker on my bag. It's a blue one, a 'marmite' which they dont make any more and which i think mum would have preferred.

 
At 6/10/07 23:20, Blogger Molly said...

The soup looks delicious. What would even better is some homemade bread with that soup. My mother, who loved gourmet cooking, would have had one those pots. In fact, she did have a similar pot; she called it a Dutch Oven.

 
At 8/10/07 00:33, Blogger my4kids said...

Too funny you've been wanting something that was in your house all along!

 
At 8/10/07 01:37, Blogger theotherbear said...

Cool. I actually really like that colour. I covet your pot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home