Tuesday, October 02, 2007

California Dreaming

As anyone who has read my blog recently will know Sam and Fred have been in England. Sam had to come and get her visa renewed and this was being combined with a little holiday to see family and friends. What I haven't said in any detail is the catastrophe she had in trying to get this sorted. I won't bore you with the finer points and in any case Sam doesn't want me to but I will say it took a lot of telephone calls, emails and fedex, plus anxiety before the difficulty was resolved. It meant Sam could not go to Paris with Fred, and I was looking forward to joining them for a couple of days, but there's always next time.

However, the bonus was Sam got to see her dear friend Sheena who is very ill and is now in a hospice and they did get to go to Cornwall for a couple of days. Fred was due to fly home last Saturday and Sam thought she would be here for another week but in the end her new visa, together with her passport, arrived on Friday morning. It was such a shock pleasant surprise as she was expecting 24 hours notice. You can imaging it was then all systems go packing (BTW Beccy I let them have that spare bag of yours-hope that's OK). EmBee and I drove them to Heathrow Airport on the Saturday morning leaving home around 7am.

I didn't mention that they had already returned to the States because Sam wanted to surprise all her friends who were not expecting her to be able to attend a baby shower on the Sunday. I'm very pleased for Sam that she is back in sunny San Francisco while we are shivering in the cold and wet!! I'm a bit sad for me because I had things planned for us to do this week (like photoshop lesson and designing me a new header and going to London to check on her flat). Anyway we had a great time with them, enjoying lots of lovely food and wine and a few bottles of champagne along the way. So here's to the next time and this will be when I visit them in a couple of months in time for Thanksgiving~ can't wait as I know some of the things she has planned for me!!


Archives:

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

At 2/10/07 13:13, Blogger Beccy said...

What bag?

 
At 2/10/07 13:19, Blogger frannie said...

I'm glad that she made it home safe, but I'm sad that you had to say goodbye.

at least you will get to spend thanksgiving with her-- I'm sure Sam prepares an amazing thanksgiving feast!

 
At 2/10/07 13:34, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy the one you left under the bed.

frannie I believe we have been invited to one of her friend's thanksgiving dinners. So I will be joining in a real american thanksgiving.

 
At 2/10/07 13:54, Blogger Sam said...

It's the middle of the night (well, 5 in the morning) and jet lag has forced me awake. If I was still with you I wouldn't be having this probem, would I now? I had a great time mum - thank you and dad and can't wait for your visit at thanks giving.

 
At 2/10/07 14:02, Blogger FH said...

Kids are too busy these days to visit us in leisure Chris!!:))
Enjoy the beautiful award and that Champagne too.

 
At 2/10/07 14:41, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam I saw your skype was on at one point and I wondered why!!

asha this was a good bottle of champagne but I've not had any alcohol since last Fri. I don't want it to get to be a habit!!

 
At 2/10/07 14:44, Blogger katy said...

champagne, awards, America for Thanksgiving, my oh my you lucky girl

 
At 2/10/07 15:12, Blogger la bellina mammina said...

What a great time Sam must have had, spending time with her loved ones. Glad she got the visa issues all solved.

 
At 2/10/07 15:17, Blogger Pamela said...

you are taking a photoshop class!!! When you are finished will you teach me O(:

 
At 2/10/07 16:33, Blogger Beckie said...

It sounds like you had a lovely time when Sam was there. I wonder what you are going to be having for Thanksgiving?

 
At 2/10/07 18:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how exciting - Thanksgiving in San Fran! If you make it North (~9 hrs) during that time give me a shout!!!

 
At 2/10/07 19:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

her indoors I feel lucky now all I need is ernie to come up with a big win.

LBM roll on when she gets her green card!!

Pamela sam was going to give me lessons!!!

beckie I assure you I will be posting about it when the time comes.

karmyn that would be lovely but I think unlikely.

 
At 2/10/07 20:48, Blogger Amy W said...

Sounds like fun was had before she had to leave...

 
At 2/10/07 22:26, Blogger ChrisB said...

amy w we had a great time but it went all too quickly.

 
At 2/10/07 23:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I empathise about the visa, it's made artificially difficult to allow the bureaucrats to justify their existence.

Uh oh...I don't like the sound of the whole 'bag' thing.....

 
At 3/10/07 08:26, Blogger Beccy said...

It was a grotty bag left for emergencies so if an emergency arrives I'll have to 'borrow' one of mums nice bags!

 
At 3/10/07 09:41, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT I seem to remember beccy telling me to get rid of the bag and now I have !!

 
At 3/10/07 10:02, Blogger sallywrites said...

It must be hard for you having your girls on different sides of the world Chris...... Nice for visiting though!

Well done on the award too!

 
At 3/10/07 11:20, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sally I can feel the Californian warmth already! Sam said it was very hot when they got back no wonder she doesn't want to return here!

 
At 3/10/07 13:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck saving that until Thanksgiving! Will this be your first? Wave to me as you fly over.
I'm glad it ended up that you were able to have a longer visit, and I hope the stress of wondering what was happening didn't add up too much.

 
At 3/10/07 22:24, Blogger my4kids said...

Sorry to hear about Sams friend.
Thats great you are getting to visit Sam again so soon again. I bet the weather will be much nicer in San Fransisco then England then as well.

 
At 3/10/07 22:32, Blogger Sam said...

it's ok - I can send the bag back with mum and her san francisco shopping!

cos its not like i need it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home