Monday, September 10, 2007

Fun Monday# 32



Today Nikki challenges us with doing a good deed. She says " I am not looking for a story of when you have offered your help in the past, I actually want you in the next two weeks to go out and help someone. Go visit a nursing home, cook dinner for someone sick or with a new baby, donate to a charity or even send just a "thinking of you card" to someone who needs it. It doesn't matter what your good deed is, or how great it is. It just needs to help someone!

I think that Nikki set a great challenge and some of my, I hesitate to say, 'good deeds' I would have done regardless of this challenge. So in the last couple of weeks here are some of the little things that I have done.
I have a couple of friends who were feeling very stressed at work and I invited them, together with another friend, for lunch to cheer them up. Unfortunately one had to cancel on the day because of a back problem but we had a long chat on the telephone and I will organise another lunch in a few weeks time.
I passed on a pile of magazines and lent books to someone who loves to read but doesn't get out much.
I sent a message of support to an ex-work colleague when I heard that her partner had moved out. I'm still hoping she will contact me as I'm a good listener and I know how devestated she must be feeling, having been there myself, albeit a long time ago.
I took clothes to a charity shop but I do this every so often and it just happened to be last week.
I assisted someone at a special needs swimming session but again I often do this so I probably shouldn't count it and I get the benefit of a swim as well.
The only other thing I have done is when I was baking some biscuits (cookies) last weekend I did a lot extra so that I could package them and give them away.This is just one of the packets.
Chocolate Crunchies
Recipe:
175g (6oz) rolled Oats
50g (2oz) soft brown sugar
120ml (4fl oz) corn oil
1 egg
125g (4oz) plain choc melted
Method:
Place the oats, sugar, oil and egg in a bowl and beat together thoroughly. Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture well apart on a baking sheet and flatten with a dampened fork. Bake in a pre-heated oven, 160C (325F) Gas mark 3, for 15 to 20 mins, until golden brown. Leave to cool for 1 min, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Spread the melted choc over the flat underside of the biscuits. Leave to slightly set then mark the choc with lines (I used a fork) and then leave to set completely.
makes approx 20.
Choc Chip Biscuits:
Recipe:
125g (4oz) butter or marg.
50g (2oz) soft brown sugar
1 egg beaten
150g (5oz) self-raising flour
175g (6oz) plain choc (chopped- I bought choc chips)

Method:
Cream butter or marg and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and sift in the flour. Mix in choc.
Put teaspoonfuls of the mixture on baking sheet slightly apart and bake in a pre-heated oven 180C (350F) Gas 4 for 15-20 mins.
Cool on wire rack
makes 16-20

I just thought you might like to see these easy recipes. There is not actually that much sugar in these recipes, so the biscuits are not too sweet, and I made batches of the choc chip with both plain and milk choc. For the crunchies I used dark choc 70% cocoa so again they were not that sweet but you could easily use milk choc.

I'm off to see what everyone else has been doing during the past two weeks so see you soon :)

Labels: , ,

37 Comments:

At 10/9/07 09:18, Blogger Beccy said...

Will one of those packets be winging their way over here?

 
At 10/9/07 09:24, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy you make much better biscuits than me I'm afraid they have all gone locally!

 
At 10/9/07 09:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are the type of good deeds that can change the course of people's lives. I know that sounds dramatic, but the flow on effect can be quite dramatic.

 
At 10/9/07 10:06, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

WoW!! Just leaving and sharing these recipes is a good deed in itself!! Thanks. Great job for Nikki's challenge this week.

 
At 10/9/07 11:39, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris - you really are a sweetheart!!

 
At 10/9/07 12:29, Blogger Debs said...

Those are indeed great deeds. :D The biscuits look so yummy.

 
At 10/9/07 12:37, Blogger Amy W said...

Thanks for the recipes and for always doing good deeds!

 
At 10/9/07 13:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great good deeds. Your friends must really appreciate you and all that you do. I love the fact that you help people with special needs for swimming lessons. That is something I would love to do.

 
At 10/9/07 13:59, Blogger FH said...

Happy Monday Chris!:))
Choc Biscuits look yummy and you did a wonderful deeds for your friends!Good for your soul!

 
At 10/9/07 14:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deeds that I would have expected from you, Chris! You can tell after reading a blog for a while that someone is a good person.
By the way, to get everyone in the mood to bake,I had some of those biscuits and they are great, thanks for the recipes!

 
At 10/9/07 14:53, Blogger la bellina mammina said...

I'm one of the lucky recipients for PIF, and I CAN ATTEST that they are yummy!! Unfortunately, they're all gone in like 2 seconds....and Beccy's cookies are YUM too!;-)

 
At 10/9/07 15:15, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

That's a lot of good deeds! And the cookies look fantastic.

 
At 10/9/07 15:18, Blogger Sam said...

doing god deeds fr others is just a way of life for you mum

 
At 10/9/07 15:34, Blogger Beckie said...

I think this is a good Fun Monday because if nothing else it makes us really look at what we are doing - if good deeds are second nature to us or not. It sounds like you do a lot for others on a regular basis - good for you!!

The cookies (I like that word - biscuits) look fantastic.

 
At 10/9/07 16:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All very good deeds! And one more by passing on these recipes. Yummy!

 
At 10/9/07 16:30, Blogger Unknown said...

Those cookies look good! It's nice that you do those types of things all the time. :)

 
At 10/9/07 16:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now you've done another Good Deed - posting a yummy looking cookie recipe!

And I was kind of wondering the same thing myself - is it a Good Deed if you do it all the time anyway (and kind of get something out of it for yourself?) Because - when I took my friend out, I really needed it too.

 
At 10/9/07 16:49, Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Those are exactly what I think Nikki is looking for! They are randonm acts and you are doing them just because. Even though you may do them alot or every so often doesn't make them any less kind.

 
At 10/9/07 16:54, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Just remember that they say "No good deed goes unpunished." :)

 
At 10/9/07 17:51, Blogger The Ex said...

Delicious!!!

 
At 10/9/07 18:32, Blogger ~ej said...

yummy biscuits...and you are always doing good deeds....it's wonderful!

btw, anyone have a good choco brownie recipe using metric measurements?? for a friend of mine in northants.

 
At 10/9/07 19:39, Blogger Robinella said...

Sharing those recipes was a good deed! As were all your others. My neighbor volunteers for the Red Cross and I always bundle up my magazines for her to distribute at the hospital.

 
At 10/9/07 19:50, Blogger Unknown said...

oooh! cookies. that's a great good deed.

 
At 10/9/07 19:54, Blogger Shama-Lama Mama said...

OOOhhh.. cookies aren't just a good deed. They are a fantastic deed! I have been planning to do bake some cookies with my 4 year old son, and I think those Chocolate Crunchies are going to be on our menu! Thanks for posting the recipe!

 
At 10/9/07 22:50, Blogger Tiggerlane said...

To make the cookies AND post recipes? Awesome deeds, indeed!

My thighs thank you...

 
At 10/9/07 23:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come my cookies never look like that? I wonder if using your recipe will make mine look so purty?

 
At 11/9/07 01:45, Blogger Pamela said...

oh how I wish you lived next door.
I'd make coffee and tea.
You could bring the cookies and the ears.

 
At 11/9/07 01:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMmmm...cookies. You did a lot of good deeds the last couple weeks and you have been quite busy. Good post of good deeds.

 
At 11/9/07 02:58, Blogger Barbara said...

Sam has confirmed what I thought. You do good deeds everyday.

 
At 11/9/07 04:55, Blogger my4kids said...

Those treats look very yummy and I have my mouth watering now!
You do a lot of good deeds it seems your a very nice person obviously. Willowtree is right those are deeds that can help change a persons life. No matter how little you think they are, little things mean a lot to a person when they need it.

 
At 11/9/07 17:30, Blogger Dea said...

I was going to say from what I perceive from reading this blog, you do many many good deeds whether you know it or not. Indeed everytime you comment on my blog it makes me smile! ;-)

What a great idea for fun Monday and your cookies look delish. I love the idea of packaging them too!

 
At 11/9/07 23:28, Blogger sallywrites said...

I love making bisuits. I think I will try your choc chip recipe!

 
At 12/9/07 00:57, Blogger Kaytabug said...

Yum Yum...those look delicious! What great deeds!! No only did you post the recipes you converted for us over on this side of the pond!!! You are the best!!!

 
At 12/9/07 03:39, Blogger alisonwonderland said...

i think that part of the benefit of this week's exercise was getting us to recognize the "good deeds" that we do every day. nice post!

 
At 12/9/07 06:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good deeds that you do frequently should count for more than the random ones! It is reassuring to know that there are people like you in the world!

 
At 12/9/07 07:55, Blogger Steffi said...

Thank you very much for your recipe!You are so good!

 
At 12/9/07 14:17, Blogger frannie said...

it is so nice that you do some many good deeds! that really makes the world a better place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home