Friday, May 11, 2007

Gone Fishing!!

A friend of mine has a lovely pond in the corner of her garden but no one has told her goldfish they should only have 2.4 offspring so they are effusive breeders. Recently my brother lost all but one of his fish to a poacher, (most likely to be a heron), so my friend agreed to give him half a dozen to re-stock his pond. In my ignorance I didn't imagine catching a few fish would take much time (I wondered why my friend seemed amused when I said as much).
I arrived at her house at the appointed time and while she made coffee I set to the task with a net and some food to draw them to the surface. You can imagine my frustration when the little blighters kept diving to the bottom of the pond or they jumped, just as my net got close. How the heck do they know to swim to the opposite side of the pond just as I got close to a little group. They had me running ragged around the pond much to the amusement of my friends (another friend who lives nearby had also popped in for coffee to see the sport!). The fish are obviously more intelligent than I gave them credit and I was extremely surprised that it took me nearly two hours to net five at which point I gave up. Actually I was only planning on catching six so I'll go back for the other one another day- well maybe!!




When I arrived home my brother was waiting to take them on their onward journey and I think I detected a little disappointment because they were so small, but they will grow and maybe the heron won't be able see them!!

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

At 11/5/07 10:09, Blogger Beccy said...

Where's the video action of you jumping around the pond trying to catch the fish?

 
At 11/5/07 10:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy I thought the novelty might wear off if I do too many!!

 
At 11/5/07 11:20, Blogger Barbara said...

You should have taken the cat with you. He'd have had no trouble.

 
At 11/5/07 11:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara now why didn't I think of that, I would have borrowed one!!

 
At 11/5/07 13:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or the heron!

 
At 11/5/07 14:10, Blogger FH said...

Be careful there Chris! You don't want to fall on them,never mind the Herons!!;D
Enjoy,see you on Monday:)

 
At 11/5/07 14:43, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Maybe better than sitting in a boat for hours and catching nothing.

 
At 11/5/07 15:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do not go fishing in a pond you do it in a lazy hazy stream, any Bing Crosby /Satchmo fan could tell you that. Love.

 
At 11/5/07 15:30, Blogger Sam said...

Pretty funny - but for true comic genius, at the very least - you could have fallen in for us...

 
At 11/5/07 15:58, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris, do not discount the Herons' craft, we had over 50 fish gone in 2 months last year.

 
At 11/5/07 16:24, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Two hours!
I'm laughing all the way over here in California.

 
At 11/5/07 16:33, Blogger ChrisB said...

enidd I'm hoping the heron will go hungry this time!

anvilcloud I think I'll stick to the safety of the shore, I tell you there was a point at which I thought I was going home empty handed!

embee i'll take your word for that

johng wow that Heron was banqueting! that's a hell of a lot of fish to loose.

sam can't you see I was clinging to the tree; the grass was wet and slippery so I was in real danger of doing just that !!

 
At 11/5/07 16:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My "biological" dad has a small pond - he put koi in it and pretty soon they were gone...heron AND Crows. So - he bought a motion-sensor water-shooter. It stopped the heron, but the crows figured out how to work around it...they'd set it off and then swoop in and get a fish while the sensor was re-setting itself. Too smart, those crows. (the raccoon didn't seem to mind being shot by water either)

 
At 11/5/07 16:40, Blogger ChrisB said...

CC I expect, like sam, you would have liked me to fall in!! at the time I was too frustrated to laugh but it was very comical my friends thought it was hilarious- me lunging and coming up with a net full of weed time after time- I would never have suggested it had I known it would be this difficult.

 
At 11/5/07 16:44, Blogger ChrisB said...

karmyn I would never have thought of crows (or of them being that clever). I will mention the water-shooter to my brother.

 
At 11/5/07 20:09, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris, a 12 bore shotgun would do the job!

 
At 11/5/07 21:42, Blogger ChrisB said...

johng haha good one; now that's what my brother should use on the rabbits that eat all his vegetables and maybe the Heron that's pinching the fish!!

 
At 11/5/07 23:01, Blogger my4kids said...

Your friend was so nice to stand back and watch you catch the fish.... but I guess she was giving them to your brother so she felt that was good pay to have the amusement.. I agree you should have posted a video!

 
At 11/5/07 23:19, Blogger ChrisB said...

Terri I was concentrating too much on the task in hand to even think about a video; in hindsight it might have been fun, but the pond is apparently quite deep and I didn't relish driving home soaking wet ( that is what would have happened if I'd fallen in for the camera)!!

 
At 12/5/07 04:31, Blogger Sam said...

so basically it took you 2 hours to catch small fry for a ungrateful heron

 
At 12/5/07 08:25, Blogger Beccy said...

Lol Sam.

 
At 12/5/07 09:07, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam very good you've put that very succinctly.

 
At 12/5/07 15:18, Blogger frannie said...

I could just picture running around the pond being alluded by fish! too funny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home