Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Organic lunch at Marc Michel

I could get used to being a 'lady who lunches'. Earlier today Beccy, her mother-in-law (Marie) and I visited an organic farm shop called Marc Michel that also serves the most delicious organic lunches. Little Ben came with us but only had dessert as the memu did not suit his taste. Don't worry he didn't starve as he ate before we left home. The farm shop is about a 20 minuite drive from where Beccy lives at a little place called Kilpedder. It is very well hidden and the approach is down a narrow lane, alongside which you can see all the organic vegetables being tended in the fields. On the opposite side of the lane sheep and lambs can be seen grazing.
As we parked outside what looked like a large greenhouse, I hoped the food would live up to expectation. Inside it was warm and cosy with a rustic feel as it was heated with log burning stoves.

The shop is one end and the tables are the other, we had been reserved a corner table which was one of the best positions.

The menu (only part shown) did not disappoint and I found it difficult to choose but finally decided on Lamb Patties, while Beccy and Marie chose Tian of Crab. Everything is freshly prepared and cooked and the lamb comes from the farm next door.

The flavour of the lamb was enhanced by the chilli and it was spicy without being overpowering, and was nicely complimented by the lemon creme fraishe.


Beccy felt that although the crab was lovely and fresh and tasty , the dish had a little too much onion but Marie thought it was perfect.

I didn't photograph the desserts but Beccy had rhubarb (oops how did I get this so wrong I meant apple) crumble ( cooked to order), Marie had Panacotta which suited her dietary needs (gluten free) and Ben had chocolate brownie all served with cream. I'm sorry to say that I was too full to be tempted.

This is one of the fields growing and rotating crops.


Here you can see a huge field of leeks and you can also just see a pheasant in the right hand corner.

This is the ideal place for lunch if you are looking for good quality food and you are not looking for plush surroundings, personally I think it's an ideal way to promote organic food and I am looking forward to a second visit next time I'm in Dublin.







Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At 20/2/07 18:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big lamb or crab eater - but I will take the Rhubarb crumble.

 
At 20/2/07 18:30, Blogger Sam said...

burgers aren't to Ben's taste?

rebecca doesnt even like onion does she?

 
At 20/2/07 19:38, Blogger Beccy said...

Sam, please don't call me Rebecca.

Ben has never eaten a burger or any form of beef.

I love onions and use them daily but the onion overpowered the taste of the crab and the rest of the dish.

 
At 20/2/07 20:28, Blogger ChrisB said...

karmyn I don't eatlamb that often because of the fat content but these patties were so good.

sam I am not keen on raw onion but like it cooked and beccy is the same.

 
At 20/2/07 21:54, Blogger Sam said...

i am verging on the same about the onion, but i don't mind it these days, but agree sometimes it can be too overpowering. I hate it when they put huge thick raw rings in a dish.

why doesn't Ben eat beef, BECCY? If he has never tried it how does he know he doesnt like it?

I am sorry - but you'll always be berecca to me from time to time ;)

 
At 20/2/07 23:15, Blogger Beccy said...

Sam I don't mind berecca!

Well he ate it as a baby but turned into a fussy eater around the age of two. I cannot get him to eat most food, he refuses point blank and I'm not going to sit there threatening him with a plate of colf food. He seems to paticularly dislike mixed food, food with saces etc. He survives on a diet of raw fruit and veg with chicken, fish and sausage rolls. My doctor says his diet is very healthy and I shouldn't push him to try new food so I offer and mostly he refrains, sometimes he tries and spits it out.

Isn't it sad that you don't know the eating foibles of your nephew. You are welcome to try and improve his palate anytime.

Ben doesn't even like crisps (you can't even open a packet near him) or most chips. It's hard to eat out with him.

 
At 20/2/07 23:16, Blogger Beccy said...

*cold food and food with sauces*

 
At 21/2/07 00:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sounds like a wonderful meal and a lovely place to visit. i'd have gone for the choco brownies too (tho i don't eat red meat either, it's a dietary thing) :-)

 
At 21/2/07 04:19, Blogger Devon said...

The lamb looks and sounds delicious! I love being in or near green houses and would love to wander around there! How great for you!

 
At 21/2/07 06:20, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. OHhh I miss lamb. All I can get here is mutton, only occasionally. That food looked so deliciouso, I'm terribly envious of both you and beccy!

 
At 21/2/07 08:29, Blogger ChrisB said...

Karmy I boobed it was apple not rhubarb so sorry the rhubarb comes later in the year. I'm going senile!!

elena jane brownie would have been my choise if I'd had dessert.

devon and little miss moi lamb was tender and delicate flavour sorry to have you drooling. I'm hoping to go again next time I visit. I want to eat my way through the menu!!

 
At 21/2/07 11:48, Blogger The very nice man said...

Looks delicious (drooling into his coffee now).
I like orgasmic food, so where is my invite?

 
At 21/2/07 16:51, Blogger FH said...

Hello "lady who lunches"!You are having some fun there!!Enjoy your lunch,great menu and Organic too!

 
At 21/2/07 17:46, Blogger ChrisB said...

Erik you might be disappointed it wasn't quite a harry meets sally experience !!

asha the time is going so quickly but we've had a great time.

 
At 21/2/07 20:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I would probably not eat some of it, the pictures are very nice.
I hope you are all having a nice visit!
(You can lead the boy to a burger, but you can't make him eat it!)

 
At 21/2/07 21:18, Blogger ChrisB said...

lisa I try to have as much organic food as possible but it's not often I have the opportunity to eat at an organic restuarant so it was a real treat.

 
At 22/2/07 05:56, Blogger enidd said...

yum yum with double yum sauce. this not eating all day is hard with jet lag.

 
At 22/2/07 08:24, Blogger ChrisB said...

enid I can tell you after that meal the only thing I ate for the rest of the day was just one small pancake as it was shrove tuesday

 

Post a Comment

<< Home