Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Apple Crumble


When I was reading the Sunday Mail 'You Magazine' I noticed a section "Autumn Collection' Mood food for the Mellow season. I thought I might try 'Celeriac and Apple Mayonnaise with crisp Bacon' as I had most of the ingredients in the fridge. However having bought celeriac the missing ingredient I still haven't found time to make it so far this week. Instead I decided on the crumble as I still had lots of bramley's to use up. The recipe was actually for blackberry and apple but my crumble is plain apple as I didn't want to stop and defrost blackberries from the freezer. Sam you will be pleased to hear I did not add bran!! When my children were young they were not great with their vegetables and I always added bran to the crumble for extra roughage; they always complained but ate it.

Crumble Serves 8
Bramley Cooking apples 700g
Self-raising flour 225g
Demerara sugar 200g
Blackberries 300g
Unsalted butter175g chilled
Porridge Oats 100g

Pre-heat oven 200c, peel core thinly slice apples place in large bowl (this is my favourite old fashioned mixing bowl) with 2 tbsp flour and half the sugar, then gently mix in blackberries. Then arrange fruit in a shallow 2 litre ovenproof dish. Dice chilled butter. Combine remaining flour, oats and remaining sugar and rub in butter until you have large crumbs like this Scatter crumble over fruit and bake for 35 mins until top is golden brown and crisp and juices are bubbling up at the sides. Leave to cool 20-30 mins ( can be eaten hot or cold)

As Mike is a diabetic I omitted the sugar but added a small amount of sugar substitute and for a variation I added cinnamon to the crumble mix. I also wondered what it would be like with the oats and I have to say it was voted a success (by Mike, my mother and my neighbour, David) and the cinnamon worked well.

Whisky Custard
Whisky 1-2 tbsp
Fresh Custard ( made or cheat buy tub 1x 500ml) Of course you can substitute this for anything you fancy such as cream or ice cream. I decided the Whisky custard would have to wait for another day; I know some would say that's the best part but I have to watch the calories!!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 11/10/06 00:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious Chris. I often put oats in my crumble topping.

 
At 11/10/06 07:53, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hi Barbara I'm glad I discovered this as it just adds a little something extra to the texture.

 
At 11/10/06 07:59, Blogger Beccy said...

I must try the oats next time I make crumble. I went blackberry picking last week and have frozen some, made pie last week and going to make crumble next.

 
At 11/10/06 08:18, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy I think you will like it mum

 
At 11/10/06 18:17, Blogger Beccy said...

Just rereading your blog and if I remember correctly it was Sam who didn't like her veggies. I recall sitting at the table waiting for her to finish so I could have my pudding. I didn't understand why she didn't just eat them quickly they also tasted nuch nicer when warm!

 
At 11/10/06 18:22, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy I do believe you are right

 
At 11/10/06 21:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well at least it gave me the chance to develop superior pouching techniques

And please tell me what there is to like about overcooked cabbage or a boiled-to-death brussel sprout anyway?

Now the tables have turned and the rest of you turn up your noses at the thought of many of the interesting food stuffs I will bravely try.

What happened to your mettles?

 
At 12/10/06 08:04, Blogger Beccy said...

Personally I loved the cabbage especially covered in gravy, mmmmmmm

 
At 25/10/06 19:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the Crumble enormously but when I got to it there was no more whisky custard.

 
At 25/10/06 20:33, Blogger ChrisB said...

embee you should be so lucky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home