Saturday, November 02, 2013

Day 2....Disappointment

A few years ago when I first read about goji berries being the new superfood I decided to try and grow a plant in a tub. Not ideal as they really need plenty of space and, apparently they grow like a hedge in the wild. Then a couple of years back it actually produced a few fruit and I thought at last it had become established! That year it also got some severe pruning as it was creeping over the fence and I didn't want to be a nuisance to my neighbour. Well that seemed to send the plant into shut down as no fruit for next couple of years. Then a few months ago I noticed a few flowers, and I do mean a few!! Last week I was able to pick my crop......wait for it!!!!!


I'm still trying to decide whether to keep it  or give up!!!! What do you think??

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 2/11/13 14:09, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you're persistent, lol. I bet next year you will have even more! Will the tortoises eat this year's crop?

 
At 2/11/13 14:13, Blogger ChrisB said...

LOL Lisa the tortoises didn't stand a chance, I put them in with my breakfast muesli!!!

 
At 2/11/13 15:29, Blogger Pamela said...

well it is a super food ... so you don't need very much. ha ha

I guess I won't be coming for berry jelly and scones.

 
At 2/11/13 15:40, Blogger Beccy said...

Keep going but no pruning and hopefully you'll get more, unless you have something more productive you'd like to plant there!

Pamela, I have plenty of homemade raspberry jam if you're passing!

 
At 2/11/13 16:43, Blogger Sam said...

Damp squibs two days in a row?!

 
At 2/11/13 20:53, Blogger karisma said...

Well its a start. :-) I had the same problem with my elder berries. I harvested flowers for the first few years before I got any berries (just a handful) and then the hubby decided to chop it all down much to my horror. I have found the ones I have in pots do not produce as well so have gone back to a contained area in the garden and going by all the flowers we should get at least a few berries again this year.

 
At 2/11/13 21:33, Blogger Sandy said...

I am ignorant about goji berries so I don't know how many berries a plant is supposed to produce. Maybe the sparse harvest is why I haven't noticed any preserves in the stores!

 
At 3/11/13 01:51, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It doesn't look promising, eh?

 
At 3/11/13 14:28, Blogger ChrisB said...

Pamela you can have scones and logan berry jam!!

Karisma talking of elderberries Beccy made some lovely elderberry cordial ( she got from a neighbours overhanging bush!!!)

Sandy I usually buy them dried and they are very expensive which is why I had the bright idea of growing my own!!!!

Ac I think I'll put it down to experience... now what about a miniature apple tree for patio pots been thinking about one of those!!!

 
At 3/11/13 21:01, Anonymous karmyn R said...

I know nothing about Goji berries - and think it is awesome that you even tried to grow them...maybe they need deeper roots and more growing room.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home