Friday, October 09, 2009

Rescued Hens

About a month ago a friend of mine gave a home to four rescued hens. They have been settling into their new home, and getting used to the garden. They are being very well cared for and are clearly happy because they have been laying eggs on most days.
Sadly one is being bullied by the others, and my friend has been giving her special treatment to make up for it. This is apparently normal behaviour, to have one that is picked on by the others.
They have a hen house with a bedroom.

They quickly learned to go up the ramp to sleep.

As soon as we went out into the garden they were quickly assembling ready to be fed.


Below is the one who is bullied, but she still managed to get enough food, and her extra treats ensures she continues to thrive. Her feathers are beginning to grow back quite well so all seems well.

The hen below looks very healthy and is the main bully.

They now have an outside pen and they really enjoy scratching about on what used to be a grassed area.

Although I enjoyed seeing them I'm not being tempted to get any for myself, but I'll happily use any spare eggs. I forgot to mention my friend is actually allergic to eggs!!

Archives:
2008: None
2007: Jonny did it
2006: Tyntesfield House

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 10/10/09 01:04, Anonymous Janis said...

Thats interesting...that poor little hen being picked on. Free eggs too! How nice!

 
At 10/10/09 01:20, Blogger willowtree said...

I guess that's what the 'pecking order' is all about.

 
At 10/10/09 04:51, Blogger karisma said...

Mine were the same with Henrietta, they hated her for some reason but after a while Hope hung out with her more. She was actually quite bossy in the end and very confident. I want to get some chicks but am reluctant as I don't want the bossy girls hurting them.

 
At 10/10/09 04:58, Blogger Amrita said...

The chicks lok good and fresh eggs are always welcome. I like the hen house.

 
At 10/10/09 09:07, Blogger Pamela said...

The term "hen-pecked" is derived from that - and I sure remember seeing it when we had chickens.

It was nasty.

 
At 10/10/09 14:14, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

That is the same little hen house that we have, but they do get the run of the whole garden during the day, I sometimes do keep them in the little pen if its tipping it down with rain though, just cos they are to stupid to take shelter and end up drenched.....

There is often one that is 'hen pecked' thats where the old saying comes from....

I could no longer live without chickens in me life LOL

x

 
At 10/10/09 14:58, Blogger AfKaP said...

Next year we will get some chickens, I think! We were hoping to do so this year, but other things (like traveling) got in the way!! Lovely photos!!

 
At 10/10/09 15:47, Blogger Unknown said...

Roast Chicken! Yum!

 
At 10/10/09 16:03, Blogger Jettie said...

OOHH what a cute hen house!! I grew up with chickens,geese and pigs...they all pick on some usally it seems they are sick...pigs are terrible when they start picking on another pig!!

 
At 10/10/09 17:24, Blogger Beccy said...

John you make me laugh.

I'd love to have chickens and fresh eggs, hopefully you'll get lots due to the allergy!

 
At 11/10/09 20:05, Anonymous Swampy said...

I think I went to school with the Bully Hen...

 
At 11/10/09 21:56, Anonymous wendishness said...

What a great friend for rescuing them, they look like they're living well now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home