Monday, March 02, 2009

Fun Monday # 105 Mothers and daughters!



Jo over at Chocolate and Other Things is our hostess this week; she says

March 2nd is my Mom's birthday and was her mother's birthday as well. For this week's Fun Monday, tell me something fun about your mother and/or her mother. What fun, weird, laughable memories do you have of your Mom or your Grandma?

I'm not quite playing by the rules.....this is my mother as a 2 year old.Below is a picture of me (about 10 months) with my mother. Not sure I can see any resemblance! Apparently I just got up and walked across the room at 11 months- my mother says she never allowed me to crawl because the floor was stone and she worried I would hurt my knees! I then ran everywhere- no wonder I was making up for lost time. Isn't there something quite important about the crawling stage of development! I wish this photo had been in colour because my mother had wonderful deep auburn hair.
The picture below is of my mother with Taffy, a rescue dog we had back in the 50's. I have used this in a previous FM memories post so sorry if you've seen it before.
Taffy loved sitting on my mother's knee when she settled down for a nap. My mother would sit under this old eiderdown, that my father brought back from India after the war, even when temperatures were really high. We could never understand it, but she has always felt cold! The Photo below is of my mother's mother. Sadly I never really knew my granny very well. We did visit her when we were young and I remember these visits very clearly. One thing that really sticks in my mind (I was about 7 at the time) is the fact that in the outside privy (they lived in a cottage in the middle of a wood) there was no toilet paper but just neat squares of newspaper. Now that's what I call recycling!
My granny died when she was 57 and she came to live with us for her final weeks. My brother and I were never really told she was ill (Bright's Disease) and we were forbidden to go into the sitting room where she had a bed. Being curious kids we used to creep in sometimes and I think she was pleased to see us. Then suddenly we came back from school and she was gone. I don't really recall any explanations, until years later. My mother tells me she had a very hard life but she never complained. This picture is of a family outing, I won't bore you with all the details but you might manage to work out which is me, my mother, brother and my gran hiding behind her sister (who really brought her up).
Now what I suddenly noticed yesterday, when I was looking through old photos, was what is on the table in the back ground. I have looked at this photo many times over the years and never picked up that the jug on the table is the Clarice Cliff that I have sitting on top of the unit in my dining room (see below).
This jug was given to my granny by her sister, Daisy, who was really more like a mother to her. I remember this jug from my childhood and always liked it. My mother has since given this jug to Sam, which is why I am storing it for her.
So that's it.. nothing very interesting but, nevertheless, they are my memories. I'll be around to share yours later.

Archives:
2008: Manresa Los Gatos
2007: Fun Monday-6

Labels: , , , , ,

24 Comments:

At 2/3/09 12:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely interesting memories! I guess it's because I'm not a parent but I do sometimes marvel at what parents choose to shelter their children from.
Thanks for sharing those photos with us, it's great that you just recognised the jug!

 
At 2/3/09 13:12, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Amazing and wonderful story of your ancestors. I loved the photo of your mother with the adopted dog. AND......you and she resemble each other so much near the same age!!!

Mine is posted. Do stop by...once again, it's a 'hoot' of a story.

 
At 2/3/09 13:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful pics and memories. Thank you for sharing with us! Happy FM to you!

 
At 2/3/09 13:22, Blogger Jill said...

that's a very neat story!

 
At 2/3/09 14:10, Blogger FH said...

Happy birthday to your mom.

It's nice to read your memories, love the photos. Hope your mom still have that blanket your dad got from India! :)

Indian govt. is bidding for Gandhi's watch, glasses, plate and bowl he used this week in an auction, hope they get it. Blanket from India reminded me of this for some reason! :D

 
At 2/3/09 14:22, Blogger Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Yes, they are interesting! I love hearing stories about peoples' families. They give us such a sense of belonging. Happy Monday!

 
At 2/3/09 15:37, Blogger Dr.John said...

Thanks for sharing both pictures and memories.
I would have loved to have done fun Monday today but lost track of who was in charge.

 
At 2/3/09 15:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your memories and photos of your family. That jug has some real sentimental value.

 
At 2/3/09 16:06, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

"Isn't there something quite important about the crawling stage of development!"

I have heard this too and also heard that they sometimes have people go back to crawling if they miss this stage. I don't know if it's true and can hardly imagine, but that's what I've heard.

 
At 2/3/09 16:31, Blogger Jan said...

Very interesting and wonderful post. I love all the photos you included. It's great you have current possession of the jug.

 
At 2/3/09 16:39, Blogger Beccy said...

Gosh don't you look like granny Holt!

 
At 2/3/09 17:02, Blogger Pamela said...

auburn hair... have any of her descendants red hair??

Tell her she was almost as pretty then as she is now!!!

I have to go back and click on brights disease.

 
At 2/3/09 17:09, Blogger Sayre said...

I love your pictures - especially the one of Mom under the quilt with the dog in her lap!

 
At 2/3/09 19:35, Blogger Sam said...

I love this post. I am having a terrible day and it cheered me up x

 
At 2/3/09 23:07, Blogger Faye said...

I've been poring over old family photos lately and just trying to get cues to why I developed into the person I am today. I suspect you may have done the same, ChrisB. Especially with mothers and grandmothers. what stron women they all ppeared to be, even when their lives were hard.

 
At 3/3/09 01:44, Blogger Hula Girl at Heart said...

Oh, I think it's very interesting. I love the photos. Beautiful memories there.

 
At 3/3/09 02:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about and seeing pictures of your family in this post. Thanks for sharing ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

 
At 3/3/09 03:47, Blogger Barbara said...

Fascinating post Chris. My mother's birthday is also the 2nd March.

 
At 3/3/09 04:10, Blogger Cynthia said...

great pictures!!

 
At 3/3/09 04:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's neat that you just noticed the jug! Thanks for the great photos. I'll have to dig up old photos of my grandparents to post.


MommyWizdom

 
At 3/3/09 05:39, Blogger Gattina said...

You were a very cute baby !

 
At 3/3/09 22:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes me sad you never really got to play with your grandmother or say good-bye.

I sure hope that crawling isn't an important stage because I don't think the Caboose is EVER going to do it. I suspect he will walk before then.

 
At 3/3/09 22:22, Blogger ChrisB said...

Pamela so far no one since my mother has had auburn hair. Lots of us have red highlights (if you look closely) We keep wondering when there will be a throw back!


Beccy the similarities show up in that photo.

Asha I read about the auction in the papers.

AC yes regression therapy. I must look into it when I have time.

Sam I'm glad I cheered you up, hope you're having a better day today.

 
At 4/3/09 00:47, Blogger Living Life said...

Those are amazing photos of you, your mom and grandmother. Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home