Thursday, August 14, 2008

When in doubt blame the British weather!

Isn't that what the farmers do!!

I fully realise that talking about the weather is a very boring British pastime. It's either too cold, too hot, too humid and we have far too much rain.
Well actually, as far as I am concerned, we are having far too much rain at the moment and not enough sun. Why, because, apart from the fact that too many of my pot plants becoming water logged and rotting, I have plenty of these growing in my garden........

but only...........two are anywhere near ripening.

We do have a few blackberries beginning to turn colour but it will only be a small crop as it is a new plant.
........however, on a brighter note, Embee and I did enjoy some French Beans earlier in the week........after a friend gave me five very small plants which actually benefited from the rain!

When Beccy was staying she posed the question "as you get so little return, is growing in pots and borders actually cost effective". The short answer is no but even the very small amount that we manage to grow is fresh, free from pesticides and tastes wonderful so I guess that the answer is ........well what do you think!!

PS Also a worrying fact is that the tortoises do not eat when it is cold and wet so they are not building up for the long hibernation.

Archives:
2007: Wookey Hole Caves

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At 14/8/08 16:40, Blogger Beccy said...

Enjoy

 
At 14/8/08 16:48, Blogger Sam said...

Of course it's worth it. If you do something challenging yourself it is always going to be worth the effort. If Beccy wins a tennis match it is going to feel better to her than if she watches someone else win one. If you bake a great cake, it will taste better than a shop made one. The return is the feeling of self satisfaction. I want to grow veggies on my deck. Will you teach me?

 
At 14/8/08 16:57, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We're into weather here too. I wonder if everybody the world over is or if it's more a mid-latitude thing where it may be more changeable?

Anyway it's rained a lot here this summer, and I do mean a lot.

If growing veggies in pots is meaningful to you, then it is good that you do it. I wonder how much we do is cost effective?

 
At 14/8/08 17:07, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam I think you could actually do quite well on your deck. we will discuss it!

Ac it's the lack of a decent garden that forces us to use pots and raised border beds as it's all we have. We actually miss having a vegetable garden as in our other house we grew quite a bit and we had an allotment.

 
At 14/8/08 17:39, Blogger Unknown said...

More global warming...........PAAH!

 
At 14/8/08 19:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blackberries look delicious. And, just think: you could be sitting indoors with day 13 in a row of hitting 100 degree weather. I'll take a few cloudy, rainy ones right about now.

 
At 14/8/08 19:25, Blogger karisma said...

Nothing better than freshly picked vegies, except maybe eating them

 
At 14/8/08 22:12, Blogger wendishness said...

I would love to grow my own produce, nothing in the shops comes close to the taste!! :)

 
At 14/8/08 22:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first reminds me of, "Fried Green Tomatoes"...
All look scrumptious.

 
At 14/8/08 22:55, Blogger storyteller said...

Wow … looks like you’re going to have a bumper crop of tomatoes when they finally ripen. The French green beans look yummy too. Hope the weather cooperates ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

 
At 14/8/08 23:26, Blogger Unknown said...

You have gone and made me HUNGRY!!

 
At 15/8/08 10:33, Blogger ChrisB said...

AFF the grass is always greener isn't it!

wendishness the small amount we produce is only a taster really, but I agree nothing you buy in the shops can compare

karisma sorry not enough to share

swampy that was a good film!

storyteller how I wish there had been a bigger crop of beans

 
At 15/8/08 12:39, Blogger kitten said...

In the last week we have had too much rain. We needed it though, but now it needs to slow down. LOL!

 
At 15/8/08 21:43, Blogger Julie said...

I totally want to eat a tomato now - man, they look delish!

 
At 15/8/08 21:49, Blogger ChrisB said...

Julie that's why I'm desperate for the others to ripen!

 
At 25/8/08 19:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that you grow (no matter how small the yield) your own fruits and veggies! The green beans look YUMMY! :O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home