Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Spicy Pumpkin Corn Soup/ Chiromoya update

My friend Tina came back from a trip to visit her goddaughter with a small pumpkin and she gave it to me on the proviso that I would cook up some soup. So I went from this...

to this...
Recipe:

Spicy Pumpkin Corn Soup found on this site

1 Small Pumpkin - seeded, unpeeled ( I peeled and chopped)
2 Tablespoons Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seed
1 Cardamom Pod
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Coriander - ground
1/4 Teaspoon Ginger - ground
1/4 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic - minced
2 Cups Onion - chopped
1 Cup Cauliflower Flowerets
1/2 Cup Carrot - sliced
11 Ounces Corn - canned, undrained
Salt And Pepper to taste
1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric

Put oil in large pot or kettle. Heat until quite warm. Add cardamom,
and cumin seeds. Cook until seeds crackle. Add Onions, garlic and
powders. sauté until onions are browned. Add cut up pumpkin and
water until not quite covered. Cover and simmer until pumpkin is
tender. Mash or puree. Return to pot and add vegetables.
Cook until desired tenderness.

(I blended the pumpkin but left the veg slightly crunchy and served it with warm bread).

Tina came to lunch last Friday before we went swimming and she pronounced the soup delicious, so I can't ask for more than that.

Chirimoya update.
I am furious with myself as I deleted a whole load of photos from the camera before I had down loaded them. How can you do that! I wanted to recap for labeling so flipped back through saw a couple I had already saved and started deleting and just forgot to stop. Of course the only photos I had of the inside of the fruit was among these pictures. I'm trying to think how best to describe the fruit... it was quite like a pear and it did have a pleasant taste but once you had removed the very hard black pips there was not actually very much fruit left. I'm still not quite sure if I ate it at the right stage of its ripeness!
Archives:
November 13th 2006: It's nice to see friends

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 13/11/07 09:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even have to taste that soup to know if I'd like it or not, going by the ingredients I'd love it!

 
At 13/11/07 10:15, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT wish I could send you a bowl I've been having it for lunch everyday since I made it. Embee is not a soup fan; it would have been sensible to freeze some!

 
At 13/11/07 11:56, Blogger katy said...

mmmm love soup at this time of the year and that sure looks tasty!
oops sorry you and the camera had a misunderstanding LOL, but what did it actually taste like, not the camera the fruit!

 
At 13/11/07 12:37, Blogger FH said...

That soup sounds and looks like Indian soup!! YUMMY!! I am planning to make one too, Caribbean style!:)

 
At 13/11/07 13:21, Blogger Unknown said...

I make pumpkin soup as often as possible. My kids love it.

I think I'll try this recipe, though -- it sounds like a yummy variation on the one I make! I love eating it with buttered (warm) french bread....mmmmm.

 
At 13/11/07 13:32, Blogger Steffi said...

I never ate a pumpkin soup but your recipe sounds delicious.Thank you for it!

 
At 13/11/07 14:40, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

Looks delicious, I will add this to my pumpkin list!

Lisa

 
At 13/11/07 16:46, Blogger Beccy said...

I'm making leek and potato soup today!

 
At 13/11/07 17:02, Blogger ChrisB said...

her indoors it was a sort of pear come apple taste really, but if anything a bit bland I thought.

asha I'll look out for your recipe.

tiger lamb girl I could see my eldest grandson enjoying this but not the other two.

steffi it is nice for a change as it's a bit spicy but not really hot.

lisa I would certainly make it again.

beccy I love your leek and potato soup.

 
At 14/11/07 17:39, Blogger Dea said...

This looks so good Chris. I love the combinations of vegetables. Cauliflower - YUM!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home