Saturday, July 28, 2007

Victorian Chimney pots make attractive garden ornaments!!


When we moved into this house 21 years ago we had to have the roof re-felted and tiled and during this work some of the original chimney pots had to be removed. I gave the builder strict instructions that I wanted them down in one piece and to be fair they only broke one. I had visions of these lovely relics being thrown down and smashed to smithereens (I expect you can see from the picture which one was damaged). I have seen these selling for quite a lot of money in reclamation yards, however I noticed two that were sold on ebay for about £26 and that's a bargain. The history of chimney pots is quite interesting. I think you'll agree I put them to good use each year when they help add a bit of colour to our back yard.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 28/7/07 09:41, Blogger willowtree said...

That's a good idea. What kind of flowers do you put in the piss pots?

 
At 28/7/07 11:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT I think it should be roses as my mother used to swear by 'the contents of the chamber pot' to make them grow!!

 
At 28/7/07 11:16, Blogger Dea said...

Those are beautiful! What a fantastic idea!

BTW - Can I participate in Fun Monday - never have before, but I like the apron idea! ;-)

 
At 28/7/07 11:28, Blogger ChrisB said...

deborah this fun monday post will now be on Aug 6th and I will add your name to the list as soon as I put up a post about it.

 
At 28/7/07 12:15, Blogger Beccy said...

They're looking pretty mum.

 
At 28/7/07 13:23, Blogger frannie said...

those are beautiful!!! I can't tell which one is broken.

 
At 28/7/07 13:54, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy they've certainly had plenty of watering this year!!

frannie the broken one is on the far right.

 
At 28/7/07 17:16, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice pots Chris, I've sent you a photo of one of ours.

 
At 29/7/07 19:07, Blogger AfKaP said...

Those are lovely! Great idea!

 
At 29/7/07 22:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so cool!!! I love that idea.

I have not used anything out of the ordinary myself, - but have seen other people's gardens where they have used old bicycles, boots, toilets (cringe), and old wheelbarrows and ladders.

 
At 30/7/07 12:20, Blogger ChrisB said...

wendy do you have any interesting 'containers' in your garden??

karmyn it's a quaint idea that we have in this country well some of us- old stone sinks are quite popular in country gardens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home